Photo

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#16 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,422 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

hi

I have followed the guides posted here, but ... without results. All i managed was to take the grill lol

Still I am at the same point

Q: How to open that bonnet?

Hi

You didn't need to remove the grill.

Have you removed this rubber boot?
Posted Image

So you can see this white circle?
Posted Image

If yes,
Now physically push the white circle in above where it meets the cable (where the screwdriver is)
Posted Image

Because you have removed the grill, you should be able to push the white circle in with your thumb or something, but you will now also need to hold the cable level by hand n not let it hang.

While you are pushing the circle back in as hard as you can, and keeping the cable straight, turn your key to the left, the bonnet should pop, then turn the key to the right n quickly lift the bonnet.

You need to do all this at the same time and keep pushing the circle in n not let go till the bonnets open.

This should work.

If it doesn't, then it appears to be more serious n your connection has actually broken and will need to be replaced. There is another way to get the bonnet open but is harder. If you wait a while I will run out and take a photo to show what you have to do.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,422 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

If you've removed the grill, you'll be able to see the slam panel above.

Either side of the panel there's a tab like this:
Posted Image

From underneath the panel you should be able to knock it up to dislodge the tabs:
Posted Image

If you can get the slam panel high enough to make enough room to stick your arm through like this:
Posted Image

You should be able to stick your arm through n go by feel around the back of the lock mechanism for these 2 10mm bolts:
Posted Image

If you can manage to get to the bolts, take a 10mm spanner to them n loosen them, if you can get around these then you will be able to prize the lock mechanism away from the car, n with enough force you can lift n wiggle the bonnet free.

This will obviously be more tricky to do though as you will have to undo the bolts blind as you can't see them from where you are.

You should really be able to just do the method in my guide though, if this isn't working then some how you've physically broken the bonnet lock n will be around 100pounds to fix.

Do you have any idea what may have caused the bonnet to not open? Have you recently had any bump to the front of the car? Have you recently removed the grill before the problem occurred?

#18 tomtuckr

tomtuckr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: focus

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Lots of smash bang wallop solutions on these forums but I've yet to find anyone explaining WHY this
problem occurs.

This post applies to pre-2004 models; it's probably not relevant to newer wheels.

A short steel rotating shaft connects the lock to the bonnet release latch.
At the latch end shaft diameter reduces. A circlip is inserted here to ensure correct pressure is maintained at the lock end. If this clip is missing or worn too thin the inserted key will not engage.

With luck and perseverence putting upward pressure on the key and trying to pull the lock towards you will bring sudden clicking joy.

If not, forget all thoughts of grill smashing or lock drilling.
Underneath the car is a thin access hatch between bumper and radiator.
This is secured by four plastic pop rivets which can be unscrewed.
Very little of the latch mechanism can be seen from underneath but poke a stick or long screwdriver
up through the gap you've created by opening the hatch. Again with luck and perseverence, by tapping or scraping your implement close to the lock/latch while another person keeps working the key you will hear that happy release sound.

Once the bonnet is open you will see exactly what the problem is. By gripping the connecting shaft with long-nose pliers and putting pressure towards the lock the key will work exactly as designed.
If you're familiar with circlips pop a new one on and that's it. If not, wrap any piece of strong wire
around the latch end and nip it tight with pliers.

Garage cost: at least £100. Your cost: 30 mins of sweat rewarded by elation.

#19 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,978 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'll be following this guide in great detail in the coming weeks due to my slam plate being sent for colour codeing the grill is likely to shift.
Also changing grill in coming weeks too so I don't wana mess up the latch

#20 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,422 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'll be following this guide in great detail in the coming weeks due to my slam plate being sent for colour codeing the grill is likely to shift.
Also changing grill in coming weeks too so I don't wana mess up the latch

Its easily avoided mate n easily fixed. Before closing the bonnet after removing the slam panel, simply turn the key n make sure the latch still does what it's supposed to. If it don't open, simply get a long screwdriver or similar item out n push the connection back together..

Actually scratch that, with the bonnet open n the slam panel removed you can push it back in by hand with your thumb.

#21 phil child

phil child

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: ford focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Ford focus bonnet locks, don’t pay out,
If your turning the key and the bonnet will not open,
In side there is a plastic male and female cross that needs to fit into each other for them to turn, on the male there are two tags that spread and prevent this from happening
1, get a long screwdriver, place it through the grill so its pressing in to the black rubber garter where the lock rod enters the lock,
press the screwdriver in as you turn the key.
The bonnet should open,
2, Remove the plastic top cowling and the grill front, key barrel there are two little tags that need pressing to release barrel
3, remove the lock by undoing the two bolts that secure it, don’t need to remove any alarm wires,
on the back of the lock you will see the male plastic cross,
4 cut of the two tags from the male plastic cross.
5, reassemble
iv done two where bonnet was locked and two I did before the bonnet failed
time 15min, cost £0

#22 simond**

simond**

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec climate 115

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

thanks for posting this worked great on my 2005 MkII Focus :D

#23 RAB2000

RAB2000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi Est
Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi

I had a bonnet lock problem with my Focus Mk2 and thought it might be useful for people to know that pick up on this handy thread.  I also have a couple of queries that someone may be able to help with!

Anyway, I have a 2005 Focus Mk2 2.0 TCDi Ghia Estate and it doesn't have the bonnet mechanism shown in this thread but has the one shown in this thread (so I'm not the only one - perhaps it's Euro spec or early Mk2?):

http://www.fordowner...f-mk2/?p=248147

I've had my car for 4 years now and seems to suffer from a battery drain so rather than fix the drain, I disconnect the battery each time.  I have bought a multimeter and came to the conclusion that yes there is a drain but yet to do anything about it.  It has an old Nokia phone kit which is still fitted so might remove that.

I only use the car at weekends so actually it's not that much hassle to do what I'm doing, hence lazy to repair.  The bad news is the overuse of the bonnet I suppose.  Not great when your battery is disconnected and you can't get in!

Anyway, I assumed I had the same issue as discussed here and got myself armed with a long rod to try and do the click tecnique but with a torch I noticed that mine didn't look like that.  In end I went for the grill removal technique and managed to break the rivets (mostly!) and with a bit of brute force it came out in one piece although I think I broke a few bits of plastic on the 'slam panel' but it's re-usable.

Once inside I could then turn the rod (pictures to follow with a bit of luck) connected to the car end by hand as it had broken off the back of the lock.  The car was back in action.

So, what I need is a new plastic rod connecting the lock end to the car end.  It clips on each end so easy to replace.  I suspect it's not available as a single item but perhaps as a whole system.  However, the only one available seems to be the one discussed on this thread.  Any one any ideas?

Also, where's the best place to get the plastic rivet/plugs/screws that hold the grill in place (particularly the ones at each end that can't be seen.

Many thanks.  Will no try and add a pic or two.

#24 RAB2000

RAB2000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

Here's a picture of my lock mechanism.  The lock end of the plastic rod has broken.   If you hold the whole rod you can turn it left and right to unlock the bonnet.  So no security system here.

DSC_0012.JPG

#25 RAB2000

RAB2000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

A few more pics.

This shows the plastic rod connected at the 'car' end.

DSC_0013.JPG

It simply clips on and off:

DSC_0014.JPG

At the other end the rod has broken with one of the plastic clip arms broken off:

DSC_0015.JPG

At the moment I've botched a repair by putting the grill back in place (no clips!) and then taping an allen key to the plastic rod long enough to go through the grill and I can open the bonnet again with the grill in place.  A very temporary repair!

#26 RAB2000

RAB2000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

More internet searching and Ford part number 4549268 may be it.  Only costs £2 to £3 so could be it but may be a small part for the system with the security.  I can't find a picture of this part anywhere.

#27 RAB2000

RAB2000

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

A further update.  I have found some more information and the bonnet lock system on my FF Mk2 is the LHD kit.  Quite why it was fitted is a mystery, I have only owned the car since 2009 and it's a March 2005 car.

Anyway, if anyone does have the LHD kit on their car then like the RHD kit you should be able to purchase the whole kit, like this:

1355231image.jpg

However, it's only the plastic connector that was needed.  This maybe available from Ford but by good fortune I found a seller on Ebay selling them at £4 + £1 P&P so I bought two and it works.  I don't know if the Ebay one is genuine or not but doesn't really matter.

The company selling these on Ebay is Locoser Limited (email nonstopauto@hotmail.com)

#28 tonybmxer242

tonybmxer242

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: tony
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2007

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

How do you get the bonnett open to get to that rubber gromet part that i put a screwdriver into.Are you saying i have to remove the grill to get to it.Im sorry im not a mechanic and have no experience of this kind off stuff.My onnet is stuck and looking through the grill i cant see a way of doing it?.

#29 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,547 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Just push on the top of the rubber piece and you should get the same effects.

If you puncture the rubber it's no biggie, just coat the whole thing in Vaseline to seal it after.

#30 Aft1873

Aft1873

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 1999

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

This topic generally focuses on *opening* the bonnet when the locking mechanism has failed, however would the same method be used to successfully close the bonnet?

At the moment when I try to close it, only the security latch engages - the main lock, needed to keep it firmly in place, is not engaging. I'm wondering if this screwdriver trick will somehow spark the lock back into life and, when I slam it shut, both locks will engage.

Thanks

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users