Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

Brigante

I'll give this a bash when I get home! Where about on the bonnet am I wanting to apply the pressure? Just above the grill, or above the locking mechanism etc?

Also, where about should I be 'aiming' the screwdriver into the white collet? I know it said on this guide to have it above the cable, but I saw on another guide that you want to just get it into one of the holes.

Cheers!

Press down on the catch area directly above where the catch is, so about 3 inches in from the bonnet lip in line with the key. Press down firmly as you turn the key.

The best place to get the screwdriver is directly above as then the pressure spreads around the collet and eases the pressure everywhere. Only try to get it in anywhere if you really cant get it above, otherwise if you put pressure on a weaker side and fracture the collet, your options dwindle to a dealer and a massive repair bill!

if it really doesnt work and you have got the perfect pressure on it, then its likely you will need to go destructive :(

i didn't need to put any pressure on the bonnet, what I would suggest is to rotate the screwdriver around the white collar whilst hitting it, hit the top then the bottom, then the right side then the left etc

Great news :D! I've managed to get the bonnet open. I had to lightly bounce the bonnet (just above the lock), whilst turning the key right, and then all the way left.

When the bonnet was opened, I used to a screwdriver to make the mechanism 'think' I had closed the bonnet, I then tried to 'unlock' it normally, and it worked perfectly under these circumstances. However, whenever I added some weight (trying to replicate the weight of the bonnet), or even closed the bonnet, the mechanism wouldn't work...

Just made me wonder whether this a problem with the lock or the catch? I should also note that the mechanism is quite clunky it actually works, is this normal?

Cheers :)

Not sure if there are two rubbers either side of the slam panel you can adjust

Just a headsup.. If / when you get your hood open, remove the 2 screws that keep the grill on. After that the grill is hold in its place anly by few clips. Thisway, if the unlock mechanism starts to give trouble, jou can simply pull the grill off whitout braking anything, and operate the lock.

• 1 month later...

Unbelieveable, I changed the grill and removed the two headlights to clean this morning and then had realised i couldn't open the bonnet so i couldn't drive the car with the two headlights missing. Anyhow, I have just tried to open bonnet with your advice (in the dark) and after 5 minutes you saved my bacon, as the missus wasn't looking forward to walking! Thankyou, Brill job

I had the dreaded problem and followed guide and cut the 2 white tabs off and perfect so thanks very much for the guide.

Hi, I have a 1.8 diesel 09 and this has just happened to me. I've managed to remove the rubber boot and am pressing the white disc above the cable with all my mite. Nothing is happening. I'm turning my key as I'm pressing. Any clues?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

have you applied pressure around the entire white collet?

I've tried pushing the screwdriver at the top, sides and bottom of the collet. Maybe it's just stuck and I have to keep going round it?

Keep going round and applying pressure all round before you then lock the pressure at the top and then try to unlock from there.

I ended up going to a garage. The Cross head clip had worn down so had to be replaced. What a stupid piece of equipment to put into a car. My old 51 focus never had this trouble. On speaking to the garage, the person that fixed it used to work for Ford and said that it's cheaper materials and is a common fault on new cars.

Hello,

I think I may have a similar problem. However, when I twist the key to the left (anticlockwise/position 1) the bonnet pops up, but when i twist it the to the right (clockwise/position 2) the bonnet isn’t released. In fact when twisting the key to the right you can kind of feel a creaky vibration in the key.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? Is it the same problem? Do I have to buy a massive screwdriver (I hope so)?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received!

Hi James,

Yep sounds very similar. It sounds like the mechanism isnt sitting flush at all, so a large screwdriver should hopefully help you out.

I hope that I soon get to remove my system altogether! if I do, I will be throwing together a step by step to help others do the same....

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem on my 2006 Focus.

I have been quoted a price by my mechanic for a repair but he says if I can open the bonnet myself the cost will be much less.

I have now managed to get the bonnet open my pressing a screwdriver against the white collett after an hour or so.

What should I do now before closing the bonnet as a temporary measure before I can get it to my mechanic?

best thing to do is remove the catch or latch and just get the car down there without...

• 4 weeks later...

I've followed this guide but still nothing will budge. Ford want £257 to fix so it look like i need to try and sort something myself. I will probably have to renew the part and remove the grill, as the screwdriver trick did not work.

Will the below item work for me?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-GENUINE-FORD-FOCUS-2004-2010-BONNET-LOCK-REPAIR-KIT-4M5AA16B970BA-/360869234386?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item54057b86d2

Emlyn you will find on the mondeo you will have to drill out the two shear bolts either side use a centre punch to start you off if your lucky as you drill it will vibrate the bolt loose so you can unscrew them if not can take a while to drill them out so all us focus owners think ourselves lucky we can get away with pushing the tamper ring back in lol done a few mondys not the easiest of jobs .

Thankx for the guide much appreciated...I'll go and try it later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Ford Focus Cmax 1.6TDCi 54 plate, will the main method work for me? Currently using key only the bonnet will not open I have to apply some pressure with both hands.

hi there,

I have a similar problem with me 2006 focus ghia,

your solution is very informative, thank you.

however when I looked through my grill, to find this white tube lock thing, I cant see it- am I missing something? all I see if this mesh looking design (best I can describe it to be honest)

I am a complete novice when it comes to cars - so any advice welcome (or if anyone knows anyone who can help me, I am in the gidea park, Romford area) can drive to you if needed as car works fine, I just need to put window washer in lol)

thanks for your time.

GRRRZIE