Photo

Guide To Fixing Common Focus Bonnet Lock Problem.

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#46 Ross_Garland

Ross_Garland

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Name: Ross
  • Ford Model: Focus Sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

I've just bought a 56 plate 1.8 TDCI focus sport and have this problem.  When shpwing me around the car, the owner managed to open the bonnet no problem, but since taking it home, I've not been able to open it!

I've tried to follow this guide - I've managed to get the rubber boot, get a screw driver into the white collet and give it a good old push, but nothing.

Maybe I'm not pushing on it hard enough?  How hard to i physically need to put into it?  What are my options if I can't get this off?  Am I gonna have to smash in the grill to open the bonnet, or is it gonna be a costly garage fee?

Cheers!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,528 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

When you try the key, do you feel any resistance at the key?

I find that I need to press down on the bonnet, above the catch when turning the key Left, in order to engage the click that opens the bonnet, then turning right allows the full unlock.

Does this make a difference?

#48 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,994 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I always push the bonnet down to put less strain on the key and lock.

#49 Ross_Garland

Ross_Garland

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm not sure whether there is any resistance when I turn the key left - I don't think so... However, it's still clicking and I can feel resistance when I turn the key right.

I've just tried to open it by applying some pressure to the bonnet, and again, no luck opening it :(!

#50 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,528 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

this is where you need a thousand hands.

You need to apply a very firm pressure to the bonnet as you are about to turn the key. You also need to apply a very firm pressure to a screwdriver against the white collar of the barrel. Both of these should allow you to pop the bonnet, and I would suggest from thereon, you close the bonnet just so that it cant be opened, but isnt locked, and you then replace the kit at your earliest chance.

#51 Ross_Garland

Ross_Garland

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'll give this a bash when I get home!  Where about on the bonnet am I wanting to apply the pressure?  Just above the grill, or above the locking mechanism etc?

Also, where about should I be 'aiming' the screwdriver into the white collet?  I know it said on this guide to have it above the cable, but I saw on another guide that you want to just get it into one of the holes.

Cheers!

#52 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,528 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Press down on the catch area directly above where the catch is, so about 3 inches in from the bonnet lip in line with the key. Press down firmly as you turn the key.

The best place to get the screwdriver is directly above as then the pressure spreads around the collet and eases the pressure everywhere. Only try to get it in anywhere if you really cant get it above, otherwise if you put pressure on a weaker side and fracture the collet, your options dwindle to a dealer and a massive repair bill!

#53 Ross_Garland

Ross_Garland

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Just tried that, again, no luck :(...

#54 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,528 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

if it really doesnt work and you have got the perfect pressure on it, then its likely you will need to go destructive :(

#55 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

i didn't need to put any pressure on the bonnet, what I would suggest is to rotate the screwdriver around the white collar whilst hitting it, hit the top then the bottom, then the right side then the left etc

#56 Ross_Garland

Ross_Garland

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Great news :D!  I've managed to get the bonnet open.  I had to lightly bounce the bonnet (just above the lock), whilst turning the key right, and then all the way left.

When the bonnet was opened, I used to a screwdriver to make the mechanism 'think' I had closed the bonnet, I then tried to 'unlock' it normally, and it worked perfectly under these circumstances.  However, whenever I added some weight (trying to replicate the weight of the bonnet), or even closed the bonnet, the mechanism wouldn't work...

Just made me wonder whether this a problem with the lock or the catch?  I should also note that the mechanism is quite clunky it actually works, is this normal?

Cheers :)

#57 STEADS

STEADS

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Not sure if there are two rubbers either side of the slam panel you can adjust

#58 Carl0s

Carl0s

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Name: Carl
  • Ford Model: Mondeo MK4

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Just a headsup.. If / when you get your hood open, remove the 2 screws that keep the grill on. After that the grill is hold in its place anly by few clips. Thisway, if the unlock mechanism starts to give trouble, jou can simply pull the grill off whitout braking anything, and operate the lock. 

#59 Paulie

Paulie

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Zetec 110bhp

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Unbelieveable, I changed the grill and removed the two headlights to clean this morning and then had realised i couldn't open the bonnet so i couldn't drive the car with the two headlights missing. Anyhow, I have just tried to open bonnet with your advice (in the dark) and after 5 minutes you saved my bacon, as the missus wasn't looking forward to walking! Thankyou, Brill job

#60 shamus1

shamus1

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Name: shane
  • Ford Model: focus titanium 2.0 tdci
  • Year: 2005

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I had the dreaded problem and followed guide and cut the 2 white tabs off and perfect so thanks very much for the guide.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users