Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Sockets

gc88

This may well have been covered before...

When i lock my car, do the 12v's still have power or is the power to them shut off?

Is the best way of checking to plug something in and go back an hour later and look?

Thanks Gurus

On the MK2 the socket is permanent live.

I believe there is a bridging cable you can disconnect to make it ignition activated.

Yeah it's always live in my mk2.5 too

:/

I would like to have it shut off with ignition

On the MK2 the socket is permanent live.

I believe there is a bridging cable you can disconnect to make it ignition activated.

Do you know how to do this per chance? No worries if not i'll look into it!

I've read up, you can either move the connection to a non permanent 20A feed or add a 20A rated switch to the line yourself.

It is permanent live but I think it cuts out 30 min after the ignition is switched off (battery saver circuit)

It is permanent live but I think it cuts out 30 min after the ignition is switched off (battery saver circuit)

I checked. Mine still powers accessories 3 hours after its off and locked.

I checked. Mine still powers accessories 3 hours after its off and locked.

Same. I left a phone charger in mine once, WITHOUT the phone attached - so it was basically just powering a small LED on the plug. Struggled to start the next morning.

I've read up, you can either move the connection to a non permanent 20A feed or add a 20A rated switch to the line yourself.

Any recommended non-permanent 20A feeds?

Same. I left a phone charger in mine once, WITHOUT the phone attached - so it was basically just powering a small LED on the plug. Struggled to start the next morning.

surely thats not from the small LED.

I have my bluetooth hands free kit and satnav charger plugged in to the 12v port on my focus and never had any battery problems. (left it for 3-4days before)

and my old fiesta had 12v port live after car was off so i once used it to charge my phone over night and no problems next day.

surely thats not from the small LED.

I have my bluetooth hands free kit and satnav charger plugged in to the 12v port on my focus and never had any battery problems. (left it for 3-4days before)

and my old fiesta had 12v port live after car was off so i once used it to charge my phone over night and no problems next day.

It does sound strange. Especially since there's other lights on the car on during the night, like the immobiliser light, etc.

It might just have been a one off that I had starting issues by coincidence on the first night I accidentally left the charger in. But out of fear I haven't done it since. Probably should just to test the hypothesis!

its possible it can run the battery as the gem module etc monitors the car for up to 1 hour after ignition off time depending on many things like under bonnet temperatures hence the reason the dash light stays on for different periods of time so for that period the gem is running as well as the dash displays etc add to that youre using the 12v socket

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club