Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Sat Nav

JennyUK

I dropped my sat nav today and broke it (oops). Anyone got any recommendations for a decent new one? My old one was a very outdated Garmin I hated!

I would go for the Tom Tom range

I have Tom Tom XL, lovely little thing, i downloaded all the POI's from cash points to fast foods. Alot of people like the Garmins and Navmans, i like my Tom Tom and the turn off lane advisor thing (shows picture exact lane to exit off motorways) is very handy.

If you have an android phone with GPS just download NavFree World for free.

It's accurate and easy to use.

If you have android, lots of free ones available. I actually paid £20 for an app called CoPilot. Love it.

I used to sell them at work, had alot more TomToms returned than we did Garmin, and those members of staff who worked there had Garmins...:)

I have navfree on my mobile, but it often tells me to turn right, but shows the direction of turn left... It amuses me!

I have a tom tom one Go 30 series, I bought it about 4 year ago, and it still goes strong. I would definately recommend tomtom, and givent hat Halfords are having a sale at the moment, you can get some excellent XL / QI models for just over the 100 pounds mark!

I hear Tom toms are good. Any particular model better?

Go for a tomtom go live 1000 (1005 for bigger screen) if you can get it. It's got the easy click magnetic mount which loads better than my old xl live.

However with tomtom they update the maps every quarter and charge a !Removed! extortionate fee to keep updating (i hear garmin do this for free?) so you'll end up doing what I do and just buy a new satnav every year for how much all the updates and live services are.

I don't mind paying for updates and usually I don't bother since they are never anything worth updating over. I never bothered to update my Garmin!

I'll give that one a look. A big screen would be good since my gf had trouble seeing e old one.

Cheers guys :)

I don't mind paying for updates and usually I don't bother since they are never anything worth updating over. I never bothered to update my Garmin!

I'll give that one a look. A big screen would be good since my gf had trouble seeing e old one.

Cheers guys :)

In that case go for the go live 1005. Also, give amazon a shout over Halfords. I got the Europe version of the 1000 off amazon for £160 if I remember correctly, when at the exact same time Halfords was selling the UK only version for £250. Not that I intend on using it in a different country but your getting a lot more for a lot less compared to Halfords.

It appeared to be from Poland going by the writing on the box but was a UK seller and it had UK instructions inside not that you need them and as it was the Europe version you just select UK from the list.

If you have an android phone with GPS just download NavFree World for free.

It's accurate and easy to use.

Or you can use the built in google navigation on an Android phone. It's really good but the only problem with that is it constantly requires a network for it to download the route. However I did a 520mi trip upto scotland and it worked the whole way there.

My 4 year old garmin is doing well. Although I had a fault on it where pressing on the screen pressed the wrong letters on the keyboard. I turned it off and on and it fixed itself though. It can some times take ages to find satellites but just make sure you turn it on before you start moving or stop for a min and let it pick them up.

Although a friend bought his at the same time as me he has now replaced his with a newer version as they don't take long at all to get signal.

My 4 year old garmin is doing well. Although I had a fault on it where pressing on the screen pressed the wrong letters on the keyboard. I turned it off and on and it fixed itself though. It can some times take ages to find satellites but just make sure you turn it on before you start moving or stop for a min and let it pick them up.

Although a friend bought his at the same time as me he has now replaced his with a newer version as they don't take long at all to get signal.

I seem to remember that these smartphone apps do everything apart from spoken directions. These are important to me as i do not want to distract my attention from the road by peering at a very small smartphone screen.

Are there any apps that give spoken directions?

Agree'd or as mentioned earlier, there is also the google navigation, which you can use the robot voice and it tells you the direction to turn and the road you are turning onto. I hope NavFree do this soon!

Thanks for all the advice guys :) I decided to go with the tomtom 1005. It's perfect for what I need. Looks stylish too :)

Looks a nice bit of kit , Don't drop it :)

buy a good solid case for it! you can get them cheap enough, I bought a case from 99p store several years ago for my tomtom, it has bounced a few times and was perfectly unharmed! not bad for a cheap buy!

I'll see about doing that. I don't want to drop it again :P

Thanks for all the advice guys :) I decided to go with the Tomtom 1005. It's perfect for what I need. Looks stylish too :)

Whey hey :) which map did you get on it and did you get it from Halfords? When I checked them against amazon Halfords actually had a sale on at the time.

it tells you the direction to turn and the road you are turning onto. I hope NavFree do this soon!

NavFree does it with main roads (the A4146 in Milton Keynes amuses me, the lady just can't say it right!) but not street names - that would be really nifty!

The one feature I adore about NavFree is that you can stream the audio directions via bluetooth, while using Spotify and the music volume dips, rather than relying on the tinny phone speaker.

I have my iPhone in a screen mounted cradle on the drivers side, plugged in to an aux lead to the stereo.

Play the music off the phone whilst the nav free is on, it fades out the music every time the sat nav gives an instruction, also fades both out if you get a phone call. - iPhone mic is very sensitive but the speaker is not great, so running through the car stereo works like a hands free kit as well.

Can't complain about the nav free software has got me everywhere I have wanted to go.

Whey hey :) which map did you get on it and did you get it from halfords? When I checked them against amazon halfords actually had a sale on at the time.

We got it from Currys.

This one http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tomtom-go-live-1005-gps-sat-nav-07960254-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~generic_mda_Freezers_Dynamic~Generic_Freezers~Generic&mctag=gg_goog_7904&gclid=COeY786H7rECFYQhtAodlxIA5A

I know it's expensive for a sat nav but we use it a lot I decided worth treating myself :)

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, gfs had the car all week but I get my chance this weekend so I'm eager to try out the lane/street voice :)

Hi, Are there any free satnav apps for iPhone4 that anyone knows about please