Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Car...

gc88

The love of my life has just broken.

Whilst turning left earlier, then front of the car clunked like it was testing the abs. I thought it was strange, rest of the journey was fine though.

Just driven it now, when I go round corners at 25mph+ there's a mechanical noise coming from the bonnet area.

It sounds like metal clanging, similar to when you do an emergency stop and the abs kicks in, or the traction control.

When I turn esp off, the fault stops. When I turn it back on the noise starts on the next corner and stops when I straihhten the wheel.

Ive just had 2 new tyres put on the back 2 days ago, could they have knocked something? Even though there were no symptoms on days 1 or 2?

Anyone had thos before or able to help?

I have 3 months until the car is 3 years old so just in warranty.

Shall I take it ford or tyre fitters first?

Thanksss

I would talk to the tyre fitters first, they may wish to make sure it has nothing to do with their work, if they give their work the OK, then get it sorted under warranty by Ford.

You said tyres fitted to the back , so doubt it could be them , i would get it in as soon as possible to get it checked , sounds like something has broken.

Wouldn't surprise me if the tyre monkeys have broken something... my dad managed to leave a well known tyre fitting place (the ones that fit them quickly, if you see what I mean) after having something done, and they hadn't tightened up the track rod ends! But you say it's the back, so take it in to Ford as it's still in warranty :)

They did quickly fit the tyres...

I know its unlikely that's its them but a coincidence..

Even if a back wheel is sending signals saying its lost traction?

Im not at one with cars...

My car sometimes makes a clunking noise going around fast corners when the ESP light comes on. If yours only makes a noise with the ESP activated it sounds like its related to that but I am not sure of the cause.

It is that noise, but even happens when going slow now too, like I'm driving on ice.

Defo sounds shagged.

Certaintly does not sound healthy.

With only a few post's on here reguarding ESP fault and no Error code given, i hardly see it as a Common fault. Could easily be a sensor and not the pump.

it is a common fault mate any dealer will tell you common enough that i knew not to get esp.

after the passat developed a fault i found out how common it is google it and you will see its not a ford only vw are just as bad .

usualy its the internal sensor in the pump meaning a new pump.

it affected cars up to a certain date i believe after this the pumps were modified mainly due to customer complaints a few posts here a lot more on other forums

Have you checked the front springs, sounds like one has snapped

Thanks people, to clarify a few things

1) it is a clattering type noise

2) it comes from the engine bay / front of the car area (i think)

3) it is 2 years 8 months old, 30k miles on the clock.)

4) works fine with ESP turned off

5) sounds awful (but dont think it affects the car at all) with ESP on (round corners)

6) No error lights come up and the ESP light stays off , never lights up until i turn it off manually

Also, if i take it to Ford to look at under warranty (i had this issue last time) .. They say that i have to pay £xx (75?) to hook it up to the diagnostics machine to get it checked before they can look at it and see what the fault is. Is this right / fair?Surely its not even 3 years old and is broken, they don't expect me to pay them to fix it..

Also i'll mention my aux belt starting to squeal to them as thats ment to last 100k miles + so i hear..

Have you checked the front springs, sounds like one has snapped

Ive just had a look...they look ok - well no obvious splits. I can only see 2 bottom coils though, and that's with the wheel attached.

Surely if it was a split spring it would make the noise whether esp was on or off.

Whatver it is, I hope its covered on warranty..

get it in asap the pumps if it was that can be 1300 quid so the diagnostic fee doesnt sound so bad does it? wont be a spring or suspension aux belts if squeeling bad usualy its stretched and needing replaced.

dont wait take it in now ive had friends with 1mnth left on the warranty take cars in the dealers take there time claim to fix it by the time they find the real cause surprise the warrantys ran out

My ford dealer has never charged me for putting it on the Diagnostic , they are trying to rip you off. Its Warranty work.

true its under warranty still so if diagnostics are required thats on there head just as well pree pointed that out i didnt even think about that one

I took my car in last week , due to "my mind" telling me i had a noise coming from the engine bay when touching the accelerator .

I booked it in and waited , 20 minutes later they came and said the noise was standard air intake noise and invited me down to the workshop , where it was connected to the IDS.

They not only fully explained what i was hearing but did a full health check on the car while i was there.

No Charge what so ever , even though i had requested a check.

Furrows Ford in Telford , are great.

On another occasion when i asked them about my ESP switch "not warranty work" they only charged me 30 minutes hook up for IDS.

Are we being ripped off with the cost of these parts? This ESP pump can't cost £1300 to manufacture and fit! Car manufactures are another group of bloodsuckers to join Bankers and Politicians. :(

Ford said if they use the machinr and its not warranty issues then ill be charged.

If they dont find anything they will strip the car looking for a fault, if I'm charged or not depends on whats found...

Useful.

Quickfit linked it up to a diagnostic mahibe and no faults stored. They say no sensors or anythibg at the rear to knock off either.

Fixed.

Night time x

Gav, don't keep us in suspense, what caused your noise? :wacko:

Also, if i take it to Ford to look at under warranty (i had this issue last time) .. They say that i have to pay £xx (75?) to hook it up to the diagnostics machine to get it checked before they can look at it and see what the fault is. Is this right / fair?Surely its not even 3 years old and is broken, they don't expect me to pay them to fix it..

For a car that's under warranty, you should not have to pay a penny - even for the diagnostics.

I they want cash up front, tell them to stick it up their !Removed!. Get the dealer manager, and in a loud voice in the middle of the busy showroom instruct them to call Ford UK immediately, and tell them you're phoning BBC Watchdog and also Which magazine.

I had this with my mum's Panda a few years ago. Dealer wanted money up front to diagnose, I argued in the middle of a busy showroom (lots of looks from potential buyers), they called Fiat HQ who miraculously waived the fee as a 'gesture of good will'

Quickfit

Sorry if anyone here works for quickfit but I don't trust these idiots to do work on my car.

My old 52 reg fiesta I took in to get the tracking fixed as I knew it was off from driving straight on a motorway with a steering wheel turned half way.

They said all was fixed went for a drive in it and was still out. went back made them check it again. then said it was all fine.

Took it to a more expensive small business type garage they said the tracking was rusted up and they had to do some stuff to free it so they could adjust it. basically quick fit did nothing to my car and charged me for it.

I'd never go back there again for work on my car! I did although go to a different quick fit as I needed a MOT doing that day and they were cheap and I know the car is fine and they aren't doing any work to it.

As for staying on topic, best to go just to ford straight off if its in warranty it will cost you nothing. Then make sure they mark it down as the day you took it in for this fault and not mark it down as the day you drive off with a fixed car which could be out of warranty and expect to charge you for it.

Gav, don't keep us in suspense, what caused your noise? :wacko:

Haha sleep was my priority!

Well I tool it to kwikfit who seemed very helpful. They refused to take the back wheels off and check them as "theres no sensors at the back, nothing could have gone wrong"

After a bit of arguing they used their diagnostics and said no codes wrong. I tool them for a drive and they said it defo doesn't sound right, but wasn't them.

So I took it to ford and met the most helpful man ever. No mention of money or anything. He came out for a 20 minute drive with me and heard the noises.

He said it sounds lime the hydraulic pressurised for the abs pump was pressurising for some reason. He couldn't say why straight away as it was the first time he'd heard it, esp with no esp light flashing.

He couldnt understand how kwikfit said there are no sensors on the back wheel, and showed me them (they aren't exacitly well hidden - ill be goog back to kwikfit to show it to them!)

He hooked it up and checked sensors and stuff I think, then took the ne tyres and put them at the front and old ones one the back (still about 4 mm on the old ones) he couldn't understand why kwikfit let me drive it with new ones on the back.

And doing that alone seems to have fixed it....so quite easy and minor fix. If only I knew...

Oh and I checked the new tyres pressure before I went there, back left was 30, back right was 46. Kiwkfit..

So they'll definately be talked to when I stop the night shifts I'm on (always happens at the worst time)

As for the squeeky belt area, that is only kept covered for 1 year apparently. Thy need the car there for a cold start up so they can hear the noise. If its a belt squeek, I have to pay. If its a pulley I don't have to. (Sods law means its a belt squeek)

Thanks for all your help and tips!

IN MY OPINION the saying "you can't get kwiker than a kwikfit fitter" sounds more True if you subsitute some k and f's for s's...