Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plugs When To Change ?

Lenny

Hi all,

my Glow plugs are starting to wear a bit and the car is at 62,000km which is 38,525 miles.

its been serviced three times since new but never had the glow plugs changed.

i noticed it most today that when i turn the key immedieatly, to start the car it chugs a bit then starts,

but if i turn it to ignition then wait a second followed by turning to start, then it starts no problem.

so it has to be the glow plugs requiring time to heat up.

should i have always left it for a second to heat before starting?

i always press the clutch when starting because it makes it easier on the engine but i dont think it is required to wait before starting diesels anymore but i could be wrong,

any info

on starting the diesel engine should you always give it a second?

and

how long do glow plugs last?

thanks.

with a common rail diesel its not really neccessary to let them heat up, on the colder mornings yes.

im going to replace the glow plugs on my mondeo but only because i will have the inlet manifold off to clean it so i feel im aswell to do them while its all out. im at 51k miles and have absolutely no starting issues.

i know of quite a few high mileage diesels still running on the original plugs so i guess its how long is a piece of string and replace as and when required.

with a common rail diesel its not really neccessary to let them heat up, on the colder mornings yes.

im going to replace the glow plugs on my mondeo but only because i will have the inlet manifold off to clean it so i feel im aswell to do them while its all out. im at 51k miles and have absolutely no starting issues.

i know of quite a few high mileage diesels still running on the original plugs so i guess its how long is a piece of string and replace as and when required.

thanks for the comment stef mate,

it used to fire up on the turn

but now it goes chuga, chuga chuga, Boom,

wher it used to go chuga boom.

ours is on 64k no issue with glow plugs as of yet, and no reciept or anything to say when they have being changed in the past..... i always leave it for about 5 seconds mayb a little longer before initial start up to let plugs warm, and once have arrived at a destination (lets say) leave car running for about 1 min to let turbo cool, force of habbit.....

ours is on 64k no issue with glow plugs as of yet, and no reciept or anything to say when they have being changed in the past..... i always leave it for about 5 seconds mayb a little longer before initial start up to let plugs warm, and once have arrived at a destination (lets say) leave car running for about 1 min to let turbo cool, force of habbit.....

thanks mate,

ive started to leave it for 30-40 seconds before starting fully and its working fine no chuga chuga.

straight fire up anfter waiting that few seconds.