Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flood Damaged Egnine

briggsy

So my Fiesta was involved in a raver dramatic flooding event recently. trying to cross a flooded road in a last ditched effort to get home after 6 hours stuck at work, i managed to flood out my engine crossing a roundabout while the engine was running. along with the 15 other cars around me. i managed to get the engine started after 30 mins and pushing it out of the water. it did not sound very well at all and a whining sound constantly starting up and slowing down when ideling. i took my fiesta to the garage the next day and as i was driving it there it was making a ticking sound or knocking sound. but no engine lights and performance seemed ok.

the repair shop said i was lucky and changed my air filter which was soaking wet, my oil and filters. which where fine but changed just in case.

However its now two months later and i still occasionally get the tapping sound form the engine, its usually just when i start the car during the day on hot days. the tapping sound seems to only last 5 or 10 mins until the engine has warmed up.

Im unsure what it could be as the engine preforms fine. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Thanks for your time

PS: its a 1.25 Style+

Hi brigsy, hydrolic lock would be my thoughts also, amazing how it's lasted so long after the flood event.

Sounds as though it's done for I am afraid.

im confused, you say its doen for but after reading this webpage all the engiens compelatly failed, my engine has never failed or had a tough time starting?

the noise you are hearing will i'm sure be damage in some way or another , you best bet would be to sell it before it fails.

You may have escaped total failure but there will be some damage there.

I would be tempted to change the oil using a good flushing agent first along with the filter. i cant see that it can be that bad as byou dont have the noise all the time. probably just sommoisture in the mix

thanks guys im going to take it into the shop again to have some investigation done. the flood damage was over two months ago and i have done about 2k miles since it started, the nocking sound only happens 1 or 2 days a week for about 10 mins.

the oil, and filters where changed already.

• 2 weeks later...

If there was no flood warning signs on the road the ministry will repair the car free my friend had the same problem. Hope this helps

having fixed hundreds of ford flood damaged engines from the newer engines rite back to the older engines i can tell you that only a small amount of water was injested and has bent the piston connecting rod ever so slightly and most likely rite across the line and thats why your engine runes fine and doesnt seam out of power, basicly changing the timing slightly but not enough to cause upset, now for the ticking, a complete over haul or engine replacement is your only way out because what has happened is the rod is bent ever so slightly so that when the piston is rising to top dead center the rod is not interfering but tapping the bottom of the cylender and thats the tap, if its out of your own pocket drive on as it mostlikely wont fail rather just annoy you. if it fails your going to need a replacement lump(bottom end)