Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

ive already been told that the strut mounts for petrol and diesel are the same only the springs that are different so the mounts are possible also that if a pad is sticking it will make the car think that one wheel isnt holding kicking in the abs which can cause the thump as technically one of the pads is already in contact with the disk before the other side i dont have that rod so i wont imagine it was that

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Zetec Climate 1.8 TDCi

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well replaced the rear torsion link today. Wehn underneath, there was def play in the bush, as the engine could be rocked, and the rod was moving around. Pig to change, but now the engine is rock solid, and absolutely no play in it. unfortunately....... its not cured the knock under braking. Still the same, variable pitch, seems to come from either side, and sometimes where a transmission tunnel would beif you get my drift. Occ feel it through the brake pedal, when it tends to be a louder clunk.

Just thought I would add to my tale of woe. Utterly stumped now.....

#18 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

it could be simple if any of the brakes stick just a tad then the knock could be the a.b.s as one piston is stuck against the disk the other is free the a.b.s for that moment believes the free wheels sliding and you get the knock

#19 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Yeah. I may pull the fuses for the abs, and then take.it for a drive... If no knock its either a faulty abs sensor or brake issue i would have thought. There are 2 fuses for the abs though, does anyone know which one i should pull to disable it temporary, or should i pull both? At least i know its defo not a steering or suspension issue now

#20 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Seem to recall this starting after i replaced a rear caliper, and did a complete fluid change. Haynes didnt mention any special procedures for changing fluid with regards to abs at all. Is there any way of testing abs systems or sensors?

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

from what i understand its not an abs fault mate its just effecting the abs mine stopped after i got a sticky passenger brake caliper sorted the ford tech sussed it out quickly and stated that for that brief moment as i release the pedal the brake had stuck but the other was free making the abs think that the free wheel was slipping

#22 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Is yours now sorted then.... If it is, then im happy you got it sorted. Hope its the same for mine. Giving the brakes a through going over wss the next logical step . Reason ive ignored then is that new front disks and pads were fitted in may, to cure judder, it was a warped.front disk. New rear pads, and a rear caliper in june + complete fluid change. I will let you know what i find....

Ps my noise is when appling brakes though, not when releasing, and its sometimes a couple of seconds after appling them. Do hope its the same issue, im about ready to park it on a cliff and release the handbrake

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:10 AM

same issue mate

#24 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks artscot... Would you mind if I asked a couple more questions?? This issue is driving me mental.... :angry: :angry:

Have you been 'knock' free on braking since the ford tech sorted the caliper out?
Did you hear the noise just from the passenger side, or was it variable from both sides, and was the pitch variable sometimes soft, sometimes like someone has hit the bulkhead...
Just for interests sake, what made the mechanic check for a sticky caliper? You mentioned in a previous post that ford had checked the brakes, and did he just lube up the caliper guides.
Been paying more attention to the braking today, and I have noticed that sometimes the pedal is a bit softer than other times, when its very hard and right at the top.

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

knock free it was just passenger side and yes sometimes it was soft sometimes louder he took the caliper off and checked lubed cleaned up everything greased the guides etc and all was good after that he did say one of the guides was a bit rusty and cleaned it all up

#26 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks alot artscot. I appreciate your time.

Will get on and remove both front calipers and give them a good cleaning and relube the guides. I will be a little unhappy if thats the issue, as the new front brakes and disks were fitted by a garage, so they have obviously not cleaned the guides or used the wrong grease. Brother in law fitted new rear caliper and pads, and I know he lubes the calipers, as he had little packets of bosch brake grease......

#27 andymac1

andymac1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Name: andy
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci
  • Year: 2005

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

seems like i've the same problem, got the car up on axle stands and got a mate to put it in gear and let the clutch out rev to about 2000 then clutch in and brake gently, doing that replicates the knocking that i've been getting while driving, only managed a quick look tonight and although the engine jumps quite a bit when he gently brakes and it makes the noise, i couldnt find the cause, dont think its a brake problem though, gonna try have a look tomorrow

#28 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

We thought it was engine movement. There was some movement before we replaced the rear gearbox mount/torsion bar. There is no movement in engine now.

#29 ChrisH

ChrisH

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

Sorry to resurrect this......

finally got around to checking out the brakes. The front guides all looked OK, and calipers moved fine.Rears also looked OK, and all correctly lubed up. Recleaned the front caliper guides, and regreased the guides, with the correct brake grease.... Also noted that the middle section of the exhaust heat shield was hanging off as well, so pulled that off, as it was making clanking noises.
unfortunately its still doing it :angry: :angry:

Its a little softer now, and not as frequent. I do suspect its some kind of pad knock, but cant for the life of me think whats causing it. I have had a think of the timeline to this, and suspect it appeared after the rear pads, and offside rear califer were replaced. I also renewed the brake fluid at this time as well. Could renewing the fluid have caused some issue with the ABS?? I have also noted that when its not doing it, the pedal is very hard, as I would expect for new pads all round, and new front disks. When it does make the knock, the pedal is that little bit softer. Could I have a lazy piston, or something like that (is that even a diagnosis :unsure: ), and how would I check which one it is. I would be fairly sure its coming from the fronts, as the noise is def from the front. Suppose the only way to really check is to dismantle the caliper and check the seals etc.

#30 penta72

penta72

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: 55focus 1.8Tdci

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

i have the same problem for over a year now, changed track rod ends , top struts bush and mount , and sure ive done drop links - seems even worse now even though just done the struts - feel like just setting fire to it ....... doing my head in .- it knocks like hell if i blip the gas in 3rd on and off jerking the car and engine or sometimes when letting the clutch in first and second gear i was thinking engine mounts or lower engine/gearbox mount ?? -but the noise/knocking/clunk deffinately comes from both sides of the front of the car wheel/suspension area.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users