Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing A Second Aux Line And Usb Charger

Peange

Evening all,

Just a query about the set up behind the dash in a mk7 fiesta. At the moment I've got an aux line in, but no USB. Now I'm not really fussed about controlling an iPod through the stereo, but I would like to install a second line in and a USB cable to the hidden storage space.

Couple questions really, first is there any chance the aux in connection at the hu end is a standard 3.5mm jack? I'm hoping I can just get a splitter instead of splicing cables.

Also, even though there's no USB slot on display in the car, is there by any chance one I could use just to charge my iPod? Or would this involve fashioning some kind of USB charger from the 12v socket?

I'm trying to do all this with no cables lying around the place.

Thanks in advance!

If it's just to charge the iPod, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRIFFIN-TWIN-2-PORT-USB-12V-UNIVERSAL-CAR-CIGAR-SOCKET-LIGHTER-CHARGER-ADAPTER-/250999272892#ht_2419wt_1163 will do you. I have one sat permenantly in the 12v socket, one cable to charge phone, other to charge GPS. fits dead flush too.

Appreciate the effort guys, but I'm wanting all this done behind the dash. As in nothing plugged in to the ciggy lighter. The plan is to have two cables (one charger and one headphone) coming out from the dash in the hidden compartment just under the stereo. So I can keep everything all tidy, no wires anywhere!

The USB port fitted to some Fiesta's relies on the Bluetooth/USB module fitted under the glovebox, which I would imagine yours won't have.

You should be able to splice off another input jack as its an analog signal, but even for just charging via USB you need a 5V source, which the Bluetooth/USB module would normally provide. The best thing probably is to modify a car charger to work off the 12V without having to be plugged directly into the lighter socket.

I knew I wouldn't be lucky enough with the aux cable.

But before I go hacking into the 12v socket supply and modifying an in car charger, aren't there two types of bluetooth boxes? I only ask as I have bluetooth, just no USB in next to the handbrake. I believe I read somewhere that the bluetooth only box has a USB plug, used for updating software and such? I'm hoping I can draw power from this?

In that case, it might be possible.

I'm not entirely sure if there are two different modules or if they just don't wire the USB up and keep it disabled in the cars software.

I have access to the FordEcat database, so can have a look a bit later on.

There's quite a few variants of the bluetooth module, but you are correct in saying that some are bluetooth and USB and some are bluetooth only.

The Bluetooth only one does have a USB socket for dealer updates, but it seems it's 2mm or so narrower than a standard USB stick so I don't know if you'll get anything to fit in there (dealer uses a special cable)

Ahh rubbish. Time to play around with electrical things I suppose! Thanks for the info guys.

The bluetooth module will have 5v on the USB connector but your bluetooth module could have one of 2 connectors as they changed during production.

Once you know which connector you have, then you can use the relevant Mondeo USB lead and socket.

Another option is to take 12v from behind the12v socket on the dash and run it to a hidden 12v socket behind the dash using a break-out lead such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-socket-piggy-back-cable-extension-hard-wired-power-lead-plug-in-circuit-/221092034152?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item337a1cb668#ht_3108wt_1187

That is 100% perfect! No need to be cutting live cables now. You, sir, are a gentleman, and I thank you. Definitely going to give the splitter wire a go.