Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Scuff Plates As Gear Knob

MikeLondon

Hi guys,

I'm waiting for delivery of my new Mk3 Zetec S... Can't wait!!

Asked the dealer about fitting the illuminated scuff plates and the illuminated gear knob, and was told 'they don't know how to it the scuff plates' and would charge about £200 for fitment if they had to!

Was really surprised, but was wondering has anyone fitted there own, or know how to fit the gear knob and/or scuff plates?? Is it something I could just do myself??

Cheers in advance guys,

Mike

Hi mate, i've literally just fitted scuff plates to my car today, but just the normal ones, not illuminated. I'd imagine though it would be fairly easy to splice into the ambient footwell light wires so the scuff plates light up when you open the door.

Cheers Steven. Unfortunately, from what I understand, there are no ambient footwell lights in the Zetec S (mk3)

Was fitting the scuff plates relatively straight forward?

if you cant find any wires tucked up under the dash you can tap into the courtesy light and run the wire down the a pillar, round the door trim and to the sills. Not something I've done myself (yet) but a few guys here have done just that to add footwell lights if they already didnt have them. I'm sure someone will be along soon to describe how to do it better than I can!

Fitting them was quite easy, popped off the bottom of the door seal (comes on and off dead easy), gave the sills a rub down with isopropyl alcohol, peeled off the backing paper from the double sided sticky foam that comes with the sills and stuck them in place. there are little marks under the seal to line it up with but to be honest you can do it by eye just fine. See here for some pics of mine fitted...http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/35518-remove-wax-before-fitting-scuff-plates/

ford got wise and the footwell lights are higher spec now its easy on the mk2 and 2.5 as for the mk3 most of the lighting is led now and all integrated ide leave it alone if it were me

Really artscot? You'd stay away from trying to add the footwell lights in the mk3?

Gutted :(( that was something I was really keen on trying to add myself...

Terrible times... Although... I guess if I get the ford garage to fit the scuff plates... Then maybe they would run the cables down, and I could tap into them for the footwell lights.... Just a thought?

The illuminated scuff plates and gear knob look really smart - saw them in a MK7 Fiesta on Saturday and I was mightily impressed and considering it. Ford charge an arm and a leg for it though.

as for the mk3 most of the lighting is led now and all integrated ide leave it alone if it were me

In the handbook, it says the interior lights and rear number plate light are non-servicable items and must be seen by a dealer if faulty so I guess us MK3 owners cant *easily* upgrade our LEDs either :/

Also, don't put LEDs in your sidelights despite what I've said on here before. My lighting is doing weird things since I took the plunge!

with the whole system being leds and integrated to so many things im assuming that the leds wont be cheap ones and will likely be wired to a voltage regulator to bring them down from 12v to whatever the leds use just tapping into wires will eventually lead to electrical issues.

as for the led sidelights they are seen as the future i find them rubbish from experience they really need to be heat resistant shrouded which dont come as error free so you then need to add a converter to the lights to add the leds etc etc.

i think ford have cottoned on to growing trends and made sure that if you want these add ons you have to pay

So are all internal lights on the Mk3 LEDs?

I appreciate your input on this artscot, but out of interest, is it all fact, or is some of it just opinion?

I'm desperately looking for a Mk3 owner without a titanium who's put the Footwell lights in themselves... but it's becoming ever more likely that one doesn't exist!

its only available on titanium and above and is described as Ambient LED courtesy lighting, footwell area, and front and rear reading lights so they are led lights that are connected through the loom likely to the map lights via various resistors however unlike other fords the mk3 has lighting options controllable via the dash menu so its all integrated into the system chopping at wires that are connected in so many ways is asking for trouble all the info ive found says no it cant be done

like many fords it will require pulling up carpets and removing trim to locate any extra places in the original loom to add these extra leds if you have the nerve on a new car bear in mind if it does go wrong i doubt ford will be interested the gearknob would be easier taking a feed from the front 12v socket

So are all internal lights on the Mk3 LEDs?

All except the boot lights, but I'm sure you can swap them over.

I've seen the parts catalogue and looking the bits required to retrofit it, it really doesn't look worth it to be honest :/

as i said ford got wise from all the mk2 and 2.5 owners and saw a potential to make more money so unlike fords of old ive been told that the looms are specific to each model now no extra wires and connectors tucked away

The swine.

Simple answer there, stick to the earlier versions. :P

• 1 year later...

Hi guys just reading your post interesting I've just found the plugs for the footwell lightning for the ambiance lighting you guys get over to my post and see for yourself..makes intresing Reading. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/53001-footwell-lights-mk3/

Leds can operate on different voltage it doesn't always have to be dead specific 12v or whatever. Leds have a decent range for voltage change such as when the car is starting the voltage will drop and then bump up without switching off or dimming your leds. Non serviceable only means the actual led bulb cannot change, the unit can be removed and fitted with something that has holders for different LED Bulbs making it serviceable.

You can splice into the interior dome light and tap off that, using a decent size cable 1.0mm or more it will not affect the other lights or damage them.

As long the wires are not being short circuit it will be fine. Short circuit is a general term for almost any electrical fault but the real term of a short curcuit is negligible impedance (resistance on dc circuit) between phase and neutral (positive and negative) in other words wires touching

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club