Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Premium Petrol & Knock Sensor

dontmess

Hi. I own a Ford Focus mk2.5 1.6l. And the other day I put some Shell vpower in and can swear the car felt better for it.

Because of this experience I have decided to continue using premium petrol. Now I have choice between either Shell Vpower or BP Ultimate. As both are local to me.

My question first is which is better? And another question is I have read a lot that cars with knock sensors benefit more from premium petrol. Does my car have a knock sensor?

I know many will say that premium fuel doesn't offer any power gains and its just placebo but I think the car does honestly feel better. And having read that they clean the engine is just a further benefit which alone could be good reason to use them.

I look forward to hearing from your guys.

Thanks

premium stuff does give you better mpg and the cars feel better for it theres a noticeable difference between supermarket and premium as for which type i only use Shell even there normal petrol is good

This is a great question, many of time at my esso iv stood and looked at the premium and wondered if it is any better. I hope somebody can give more of an insight on this but like Arthur i use Esso / Shells normal and that to me feels better than any supermarket stuff.

through 5 cars all different makes all petrol add to that my sisters cars and my dads cars they all say the car isnt as happy with supermarket fuel they all use Shell or bp and after a tank of that they all say there is a difference and the car is much happier add to that all of us did brim tests compared to supermarket fuel and all of us had an increase in mpg anywhere from an extra 30-47 miles bearing in mind the premium is a little dearer so less gallons than the supermarket fuel 8 cars in my family all 8 show the same results

i use Shell v power in my mk11.8 Focus and def get better performance and higher mpg another benefit is that no i no longer get the over revving that i was experiencing before

I tried the v power diesel once, run the tank down very low and brimmed it...

In all honesty I was very disappointed. I can't remover the exact mileage I got out that tank but I normally get 450 ish running back and forth to work and a bit of town driving and that tankful was no where near!

Didn't notice any performance difference at all either.

I always use Shell diesel, have never put anything else in but I usually fill my bike up at my local sainsburys or whatever garage I can get to when I'm out for a run.

Regarding the premium diesels, I recall reading somewhere that they don't make a difference due to the way a diesel engine works, not sure how true it was though.

Since putting Shell V Power in a few days back the car has felt great, I then had to put more fuel in the other day and ended up at a local Esso garage where I put in the Esso Energy Supreme which seemed just as good.. then, coincidently I today ended up by a today BP garage and filled up with BP Ultimate, think its fair to say from my experience that all a pretty similar and have resulted in a much nicer drive (be it in my head or otherwise).

I've kind of decided that I'm going to stick with these premium petrol now, even if the power gains are just marketing rubbish, the cleaning additives seem a good positive which may be worth the extra cost at the pump.

I always put Shell in if I can and personally think it lasts longer. otherwise its rubbish tesco fuel only because it's easier to get to for me. no point me driving 3-5 miles out of my way just to get some Shell petrol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club