Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Mileage Driver Advice On My 2007 1.8 Tdci Focus

mkelbie

I am looking for advice and experience from other drivers of a focus with the 1.8 TDCI engine. I got my focus in January of this year after a nightmare with an Audi which I thought would be able to survive the high mileage and I couldn't of been anymore wrong. I switched back to Ford as my Fiesta lasted 18 months and about 50K and only need servicing and a bearing or drum in a back wheel.

I am now debating either sticking with my focus or selling for a different car as little things are starting to worry me and I am about to hit 80K already. I bought the car with 2 previous owners of about 2years and each doing 25-30K and in the few months I have owned it the car is now just short of 80K and I am getting concerned. I have had a major service and a interim service from Fords since ownership and got the repairs they recommended done else where (cost reasons) but I just changed all 4 discs pads & tyres instead of the odd ones they recommended. Now I have 3 faults, 1 which I think I have diagnoised and now repaired but another which is worrying me so hoping someone can help me here to find the fault and repair or suggest I replace the car before I pass the 80K mark and develop common/expensive problems as I can do 25-30K a year if I am busy with work.

1st fault is the rev counter is messed up, some days it works fine others it shoots way too high and the engine isn't over revving, its just the needle and fords want to charge an expensive fee to tell me its broke then rob me for a full cluster and fitting. I think this is common and I can live with this so long as it does not get worse and effect the speedo or any other readings on the panel.

2nd fault happens randomly and has been going on for a few months now and it hasn't caused any problems but basically sometimes my car feels like its in a too high gear for the speed then it jerks as if I am double clutching or something. Its hard to explain and a few mechanics have had a visual look and test drive but couldn't find anything wrong. I think I have learned that it happens more often if you are turning but it could just be coincidence. Don't have a clue what this fault is but clutch seems to work fine and its happened randomly for a while without getting worse. Its been hinted at clutch/flywheel and bearings but nothing for certain.

Final problem happened a couple days ago, could hear air blowing through from the turbo. Found a cracked pipe from the outlet, just the rubber part was split and fords charged me £50 for a 2 piece kit even though I only needed the rubber part. I have now changed the rubber part and kept the steel pipe as spare and hopefully this is the end of this fault.

Does anyone have a car like mine that they know roughly what is common with the mileage and what repairs tend to crop up and when. I imagine the turbo pipe is common so just concerned if there is anything else I should like out for. I always service regular and I do a major/full and a oil & filter change mid cycle so I try to look after my cars so they look after me and get me to work. Any tips suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has a clue about the possible clutch fault I have or ideas what I could look at to see if thats the fault then that would be great.

Thanks

I have the same year and mileage as you and the only problem I have had is a clogged fuel filter which a major service cured.

I'm planning the Cambelt replacement within the next 6 months.

The car is an ex fleet vehicle which was serviced every 6 months and drives beautifully or would if it wasn't in repair due to a motorcycle trying to park in it knackering the wheel and sill.

Usually the only problems with the 1.8 is turbo pipes and a clogging EGR.

You may want to check your idle control valve and throttle position sensor.

I can't see how a flywheel could cause over revving myself.

Thanks for your reply. I have been reading on here about cambelt. Fords only had my car a month ago and said belt was fine. Think its 115k/10years and just advised doing it @100. Saw people saying they can go around 80K mark so think its something I will look at doing if I decide to keep it.

The engine doesn't over rev, I wasnt very clear with my post. The panel is just broke on idel, shows car sometimes idle @ 0rpm other times can shoot to 4000rpm but the engine sounds nice and isnt ticking over high, any idea on cost to replace the dashboard panel?

Thats quite odd a motorcycle crashed whilst parking :P least its getting repaired for you.

Well the turbo pipe problem is sorted now and even though part cost me £50 I am just glad its fixed. What is a clogged EGR?

Its hard to explain the problem I have with the clutch, its not that the engine over revs when it happens, its like the clutch comes away and when it connects again it causes the car to like jolt a bit.

Do you rate the car then? Will it last me another 18-24months/130K if I keep looking after it with the usual 2 services per year and a cambelt sometime before 100K.

Thanks

The bike decided to do a wheelie over a speed bump and my car was parked in its way.

Have you had the clutch release bearing checked? It could be as simple as needing a bleed and top up of the hydraulic fluid.

I had a 05 1.8 estate for work and it made 175k before being retired due to chassis damage related to my job and that was with heavy driving and a lot of extra weight in the back due to a double dog carrier fitted plus extra kit and electrics (I'm now onto a 2.0 estate).

No not really, didnt want to take it fords to have a look at and another mechanic I use plus a few people who know more than me have all drove it but it never did the fault for them. I will look at what you suggested though as I fitted that pipe myself today quick fix but seen as though paid for the full piece I am going to get the metal part of the turbo pipe swapped aswell so will ask him to look at what you suggested,

I am glad to hear your 05 focus lasted that long!! I have been looking at getting a new shape fiesta or blowing all my savings on a later facelift focus with low mileage to start again but if I can get away with keeping my current car it will be great. Just want to make the best financial choice as will always need a car and will always be doing high mileage.

Given my car has 4 new tyres, discs/pads & just had a service it should fly through its MOT and your advice is making me think keep it and have faith in it :)

The MK2 1.8 is the toughest bird of the brood.

Give it love and it will love you back.

I just took it for a mini valet. cant get much more loving than that :D

having had a vw myself in the past i can say that the ford is by far a lot cheaper to service and repair the dash cluster i would say do the dash test and that will show if the needle works correctly you never know it may cure it a bit the double clutching could be a fuel filter blocked like all cars it just depends how well it was looked after in the past

I have the 1.8TDCi, and I have never had a problem with the engine.... Do around 25000 a year, all mway driving. Recently had all 4 disks and pads done + a rear caliper, as the nipple snapped when bleeding new fluid through. Just had the Cam and drivebelt done, as was over 100000 miles (Now at 103000). As stoney said, these engines are pretty much bullet proof. Give it a good service, and make sure you change the oil at least at fords schedules of 12500 miles. These engines have a timing chain, as well as a belt, so it needs to be kept well lubed.

With regards to the jerking, it may just a be a fuel starvation issue. Cant see how the dual mass flywheel would cause this. have you tried flooring the car in a high gear, to check for clutch slip??

Ford are robbing bas**** for making you buy the metal pipe as well. There are plenty of pipes on eBay, but at least its fixed now.

Have ful with the car, it will last you a while yet......

I might wait to close the 100K then before I change the belt. So I need to chance a cam & drive belt? Both should be fine on 5 years less thank 80K? I gave it a full service ad changed every filter in the 1st week and 10k+ later it was in fords for an interim service which with them is just oil and filter I think.

I will wait for the jerking to start again and give best description as possible and see if anyone can suggest something. Only reason I think flywheel or bearings is a mechanic suggested that and said its a common thing on a focus.

I just paid the £50 and changed both parts, didn't like driving it with a leaking pipe and wanted it just fixing. Was glad it was that and not anything more serious.

Only just joined these forums today to get advice/tips on my car as I was debating getting rid of it! Thanks for the comments as I will definitely be keeping it now, looks nice after a good wash.

Regarding mods, any ideas what I can do to make my car look a bit nicer. It's a titanium so has alloy wheels and a spoiler but the grey no colour coded bits on the bottom of the bumpers annoy me and I am thinking of upgrading the wheels, tinting the front windows (back was done @factory) and adding some sort of extra to use my iPhone to play music on the Sony factory cd player.

Thanks

Just to clarify what Chris said, the oil pump is driven by a chain from the crankshaft and the cambelt runs from that. The chain shouldn't need changing but make sure the cambelt tensioner is as I've heard they are prone to fail before the belt.

Just to clarify what Chris said, the oil pump is driven by a chain from the crankshaft and the cambelt runs from that. The chain shouldn't need changing but make sure the cambelt tensioner is as I've heard they are prone to fail before the belt.

How much is it roughly to have the tensioner changed and how soon does it need to be done?

Thanks

for the rev counter i'd be looking for where it gets the info from, check the sensor and the wiring before going for a new cluster...i can tell you from experiance a new cluster is in the region of £700-£800

Correction - it's the hp fuel pump that's driven by the chain. My mistake :blink:

is definitely the cluster and heard it can be quite common. Not changing it as I dont really need the revs, used to the car now to know how its running.

Just going to get this tensioner changed and make a few mods to improve the look and I will be happy with it :)

mud flaps, maybe 18" wheels & will research a body kit but if its daft money will just live with the grey bits

• 1 year later...

My Focus had the over-revving issue. It happened only the once, but that was when the flywheel was dancing all over the place as it was worn out.

A new flywheel cured it. I also had a new clutch fitted too as the old one was >50% worn (84k miles) and was caked in swarf.

I paid £810 (£900 to regular people) for a new Ford flywheel and clutch, fitted by Ford mechanics. This is extremely cheap for main dealer work in Burton On Trent as they have a garage there on the same site as Ford, but with ex-Ford mechanics. The aim is to get other car brands in there, yet they still take Fords?! Makes no sense to me, but they are very good and very well priced when they use genuine parts. Luckily I did not need a new slave cylinder.

A dual mass flywheel can sieze up and act line a single mass one, which will cause torque spikes to go through your gearbox. Not good.
Mine was failing the more common way, with excessive play. Just touch your foot on the clutch, so there is some pressure but it is not depressed. If the engine sounds like a bag of spanners and/or the clutch pedal vibrates violently then the flywheel has excessive play and is dying.

If your injectors start to leak then one day there will be so much diesel in the oil that even when you remove the key from the ignition it will still be revving itself. The fix for this is a £1500+ new injector set. The only thing to do here is to change the oil, so the car runs perfectly again then part-ex it in ASAP.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club