Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale

KiwiPolish

Temperature Guage Problem

7 posts in this topic

We have a 2008 1.6L Diesel Titanium Focus, and as of yesterday my husband has noticed the temperature guage being a little 'funny' compared to its usual patterns.

After he switches on the car engine, the fan is immediately on, and the temperature guage is at 60 degrees; after half an hour of driving, the temperature guage is up to 90 degrees, but it then falls slightly and then the needle waves like a flag between 70 -90 degrees. If he accelerates, the guage goes up, if he changes gear it goes down. If he goes uphill, it goes up, if he goes down, it goes downhill. However the guage never moves towards 120, and we can get warm air into the cabin of the vehicle without any difficulty.

Any suggestions?

Hi welcome :)

just sounds usual to me, does fan kick in on cold start? ie left over night?

Yes, the fan is working on a cold start.. I have to admit, I dont pay attention but husband says this is different / changed.. He's not completely clueless as he's a panelbeater, but he's still looking for suggestions / input / wisdom from other Ford owners

Sounds like a thermostat problem or a temp sensor maybe ?

Last time I had an issue where the car took ages to warm up then dropped temp with any airflow on the front (i.e on the motorway) it was a stuck open thermostat.

the last time i had those symptoms on a vw it was in fact the water pump that had failed it should be evident check the expansion tank for coolant flowing into it then rev the car it should flow faster if theres no or little flow its the pump if the top rad hose however isnt getting warm then its likely the thermostat