Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

Hutch100uk

Fiesta Bad Fuel Consumption

32 posts in this topic

A mix tesco then pb every 2-3 fill ups

It would be interesting to see what differences it makes if you stuck to the big branded stations for a few fill ups.

I've known supermarket fuel to ruin a fuel pump in a diesel and more than one mechanic I've spoken to has said stay well clear of the stuff, too much water and the car has to use more to produce the same "bang" in the engine, so it can be a false economy.

I only use Shell (it the only one for miles and I don't travel far for work), and as said previously, I will get 45mpg from a 2 mile journey, not even driving that economically.

Tesco and Morrison close to home shell good 25 mins away ...ill keep an eye on mpg over next couple weeks see how it goes..

It would be interesting to see what differences it makes if you stuck to the big branded stations for a few fill ups.

I've known supermarket fuel to ruin a fuel pump in a diesel and more than one mechanic I've spoken to has said stay well clear of the stuff, to much water and the car has to use more to produce the same "bang" in the engine, so it can be a false economy.

I only use Shell (it the only one for miles and I don't travel far for work), and as said previously, I will get 45mpg from a 2 mile journey, not even driving that economically.

Can soon find out I will just stick to the main brands and see what happens

I think some have already said they reset trip at every fill-up, but i have noticed that if you don't, then the car's trip computer is very slow to react to change, so if you want to get an accurate reading on a journey its best to reset before hand, if you haven't already done so recently

Put 25 squid in today from shell...only cos it was on way .usually tesco I was happy with my mpg better then astray sport hatch I had last.....re set mpg counter and it still says 46 ..47 mpg starting.g to wonder if its accurate reading rest of views on here ?????

I can tell you that measuring over 45,500 miles (101 fill up and measurements) my trip computer mpg is -3.28% accurate. My real average is 57.75, computer average is 55.9. (I reset my trip computer on every fill up and that 55.9 is the average of the 101 readings)

I think some have already said they reset trip at every fill-up, but i have noticed that if you don't, then the car's trip computer is very slow to react to change,

Correct - the longer you leave between resets means it is calculating the mpg using a greater amount of data. Therefore need a higher number of values either side of the average to affect the read out. E.g. if your average was 55 and you hadn't reset in a while you'd either need to floor it (getting 10mpg) for a bit for it to bring the overall average down.

Re set every fill up then ?? take it from there many thanks.

Correct - the longer you leave between resets means it is calculating the mpg using a greater amount of data. Therefore need a higher number of values either side of the average to affect the read out. E.g. if your average was 55 and you hadn't reset in a while you'd either need to floor it (getting 10mpg) for a bit for it to bring the overall average down.

The Fiesta seems to be affected more than most, maybe it has a larger log to calculate the average with?

But its definetly slower to react to change than previous cars with trip computers.