Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Name: sam
  • Ford Model: mk7 fiesta tdci zetec s
  • Year: 2011

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Id expect more than that on that distance.

When did you last reset the trip?

About a month ago I could reset it again but I should think it will be the same or worse

#18 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,747 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0 TDCi 163PS Titanium X
  • Year: 2012
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

About a month ago I could reset it again but I should think it will be the same or worse

What fuel do you normally use?

Supermarket, branded, premium, etc?

#19 Jwsturner

Jwsturner

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: MK7 1.6 TDCI Titanium 5 door
  • Year: 2009

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have a 1.6tdci 90bhp titanium. My commute is about 80 miles per day with 75-80% of it being motorway. I use cruise control at 65mph and only average about 50mpg and get about 400 miles on a tank. I think this is poor, before I bought it I read most people could average about. 60mpg and get 500+ miles on a tank. My gf's 320d BMW is equally as good on fuel and it's got 177bhp. It's due a service so hopefully they can look at the engine management and hopefully improve it.

My last car was a mini cooper jcw with 200bhp+ driven at 65mph on cruise I could get 35-40mpg

#20 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,747 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

I have a 1.6tdci 90bhp titanium. My commute is about 80 miles per day with 75-80% of it being motorway. I use cruise control at 65mph and only average about 50mpg and get about 400 miles on a tank. I think this is poor, before I bought it I read most people could average about. 60mpg and get 500+ miles on a tank. My gf's 320d BMW is equally as good on fuel and it's got 177bhp. It's due a service so hopefully they can look at the engine management and hopefully improve it.

My last car was a mini cooper jcw with 200bhp+ driven at 65mph on cruise I could get 35-40mpg

I would expect better than 50 with motorway driving.

My dad's 207 gets about 60-65 I think with a 28 mile each way commute, 90% motor way driving and thats with the 1.6 hdi 110. (Same engine as 1.6 ford tdci)

#21 vaughanie

vaughanie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Name: vaughanie
  • Ford Model: 16 titanium 3 door panther black

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

I've got 16 petrol titanium 3 door on an 09 plate just been to Manchester airport ..good journey and half drive average fuel 47 ..Im pleased with that ??!!!

#22 vaughanie

vaughanie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Meant to say hour and half drive..on cruise control 72 mph.

#23 vaughanie

vaughanie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

How accurate is the reading on this mpg got 49 driving to Leeds cruise control set at 70 ????!

#24 sambooka

sambooka

Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

What fuel do you normally use?

Supermarket, branded, premium, etc?

A mix tesco then pb every 2-3 fill ups

#25 vaughanie

vaughanie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

Put 25 squid in today from shell...only cos it was on way .usually tesco I was happy with my mpg better then astray sport hatch I had last.....re set mpg counter and it still says 46 ..47 mpg starting.g to wonder if its accurate reading rest of views on here ?????

#26 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,747 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

A mix tesco then pb every 2-3 fill ups

It would be interesting to see what differences it makes if you stuck to the big branded stations for a few fill ups.

I've known supermarket fuel to ruin a fuel pump in a diesel and more than one mechanic I've spoken to has said stay well clear of the stuff, too much water and the car has to use more to produce the same "bang" in the engine, so it can be a false economy.

I only use Shell (it the only one for miles and I don't travel far for work), and as said previously, I will get 45mpg from a 2 mile journey, not even driving that economically.

#27 vaughanie

vaughanie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

Tesco and Morrison close to home shell good 25 mins away ...ill keep an eye on mpg over next couple weeks see how it goes..

#28 sambooka

sambooka

Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

It would be interesting to see what differences it makes if you stuck to the big branded stations for a few fill ups.

I've known supermarket fuel to ruin a fuel pump in a diesel and more than one mechanic I've spoken to has said stay well clear of the stuff, to much water and the car has to use more to produce the same "bang" in the engine, so it can be a false economy.

I only use Shell (it the only one for miles and I don't travel far for work), and as said previously, I will get 45mpg from a 2 mile journey, not even driving that economically.

Can soon find out I will just stick to the main brands and see what happens

#29 alexp999

alexp999

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,747 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

I think some have already said they reset trip at every fill-up, but i have noticed that if you don't, then the car's trip computer is very slow to react to change, so if you want to get an accurate reading on a journey its best to reset before hand, if you haven't already done so recently

#30 iNath

iNath

ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,592 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Put 25 squid in today from shell...only cos it was on way .usually tesco I was happy with my mpg better then astray sport hatch I had last.....re set mpg counter and it still says 46 ..47 mpg starting.g to wonder if its accurate reading rest of views on here ?????

I can tell you that measuring over 45,500 miles (101 fill up and measurements) my trip computer mpg is -3.28% accurate. My real average is 57.75, computer average is 55.9. (I reset my trip computer on every fill up and that 55.9 is the average of the 101 readings)

I think some have already said they reset trip at every fill-up, but i have noticed that if you don't, then the car's trip computer is very slow to react to change,

Correct - the longer you leave between resets means it is calculating the mpg using a greater amount of data. Therefore need a higher number of values either side of the average to affect the read out. E.g. if your average was 55 and you hadn't reset in a while you'd either need to floor it (getting 10mpg) for a bit for it to bring the overall average down.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users