Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Lights, Auto Wipers & Rear Dimming Mirror

patoo

I have a 2011 focus tdci sport and have been looking for the mirror and sensor in local breakers yards with not much luck, I read someone used the parts from a mondeo, which models and years will be compatible

Regards.

Mondeo 03> onwards will need to be Ghia spec.

Mind the windscreen mount is different too

Mk3 Mondeo 03> onwards will need to be Ghia spec.

Mind the windscreen mount is different too

• 8 months later...

hey guys, been awhile.. I got the mirror and sensor last week but the mirror has the ball fitting and my current windscreen, which will be replaced soon has a square mirror base that i think may be just bonded to windscreen, any ideas anyone which mirror fitting comes with a new windscreen,..?

when you get a new window it will be the window for your car, ie, it will have the square fitting.

Now, you could try and blag it and get the round one, they will more than likely turn up with the wrong window even if you have told every single person that you have the auto lights, they will bring the wrong one because your car isn't suppose to have the round one.

BUT, if you speak nicely to them, you might just be able to get them to re arrange the fitting and get the other window another day, they would expect the wires in place and ready to be used, they will expect the mirror to be ready to fit, they will expect the small piece of silicone that sits on the sensor to be there and finally they will expect you to make it work.

but it can be done :yahoo:

which reminds me, I need to change my signature, I have another mod to add to the list :biggrin:

I did it like this...I removed the old square fitting from the window - it was on a hot sunny day, so the screen was pretty hot, I used one thread of an old bicycle brake wire, very carefully undercut the fitting and I slooooowwwwllyyy twisted it with some pliers until it was loose. Then, I already had the round mount with me, I went to the different auto-window shop to get it glued to the window. Then, I drew a template of the sensor tint on a piece of black tint and put it around the mount on the window. Pretty OEM look I'd say. Look at my build thread for pictures. Glued the sensor on the window and plugged it in.

After all this, when I got my insurance to cover the broken window, the insurance guy all by himself wrote down "heated, with sensor" as a type of window. Then, when my window broke a bit, I went to another auto-window shop and told them details about my insurance and said that they have it listed as "heated, with sensor". They had no problem as the insurance covered the whole thing and now I have my window finally swapped for the one with original sensor mount and mirror hold.

• 2 months later...

hi , on with this mod myself, i have the mirror and sensor. i have fitted the switch and plugged the sensor and  mirror into the loom.

i know this will need enabling in the gems , but i tried it so see if worked without and nothing so needs enabling.

my question is .  with everything installed when i turn the light switch to all positions it lights up but on the auto setting the light switch illumination goes off.

does this mean i have wiring missing to switch or is that normal till it is enabled?

It dimms because it's not enabled and even if it would be enabled, when it's light outside and the lights are off, it doesn't light up. Only when the sensor turns on the lights, then the switch lights up with other illuminated parts of the interior (instrument cluster, stereo, etc...)

thanks, assumed so . put the sensor in a bag  and tried it so it  was dark, was hoping just needs enabling now. fingers crossed.

I've never seen this enabled by factory without the sensor fitted too. So if you're retrofitting the sensor, it will always require enabling - otherwise it would mess up the controls of the car - mostly intermittened wipers in this case - they wouldn't work as they should. Lights would be ok I think, but this is usually done in the way of: 

1. nothing enabled

2. auto-wipers enabled, auto-lights disabled

3. auto-light and wipers both enabled

thanks , light are my main goal anyway , not too bothered about mirror auto dimming or auto wipers

You're welcome ;) 

I was also mostly interested in lights as I had bad experience with auto-wipers on my previous company's Toyota, so I was about to stay with the "classics" but I enabled it just for test and I kept it on as it isn't really that bad. And I also fitted auto-dimming mirror as that came "for free" with the sensor kit from eBay

• 1 year later...

This feature is so cool . The focus Titanium has it  as standard but i did this mod in 2 of my previous cars using mondeo mk3 auto dimming mirror.

Yunii

The auto-dimming mirror is good but you can still get blinded by the door mirrors. I wish they'd make them auto-dimming too. I mistakenly mounted my dashcam right in front of the sensor and the mirror was permanently darkened. :blush:

I find the auto-wipers are quite good. They're not perfect, sometimes they wipe with just a few drops on the screen and other times the screen gets obscured by a lot of droplets before they wipe. I think it just depends whether one or two droplets happen to fall over the sensor. It's still a lot better than having to fiddle with the wiper delay control as the rain comes and goes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club