#1 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Keep getting this error "P1632 Smart Alternator Faults Sensor/Circuit Malfunction"

Had a new Alternator fitted new battery and now this

Has anyone had it before

I think it could have something to do with the Smart Charge Wiring ??

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,889 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

the smart charge fault can actually relate to a break in the smart charge wiring which ford would have checked first before saying you needed an alternator or should have theres most likely a break in the wiring on the smart charge harness and a new harness needed to save money this is the type of job you should go to the dealer for after all it may have only been a 15 quid harness

#3 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,091 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
Contributor

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

have you got a multimeter, disconnect the battery and disconnect the smart charge harness from the alternator and do resistance checks...the red wire will take you the fuseboxes and the others are to the ECU.

mine suffered a break on the grey wire and cost 2 hours labour iirc. mind you i spent alot more buying a new alternator and battery aswell lol

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,609 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Has this error only appeared after replacing the alternator?

Was it a genuine alternator you fitted?

#5 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply's

I gave the car to the garage with the EML light on they read the code and it came back with the Smart charge fault and a Thermostat sensor fault

The garage i always take my car to did all the tests and found a Broken wire near the Thermostat ?????? check all the smart charge and they said it was all ok

They repaired the wire and the light went off

Im hoping this is the issue and is now resolved

Yes this issue has only came to light after i had a new Alternator fitted but that was fitted about 9 weeks ago and this issue has just appeared.

All i was getting was the EML light no battery light which makes me think the battery and Alternator are working as they should and its a wire lssue

#6 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Year: 2008

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

That makes sense.

The principle behind the smart charge system is that when a battery is cold it charges faster and is able to take a higher charge rate.

This smart system relies on the ECU seeing what the current temperature of the water is and taking a hunch that when cold, the battery will be too.

Part of the system takes a reading from the thermostat to see if it has opened and what temperature the engine is operating at.

It could be just pure coincidence but that alternator replacement could've simply been the charging system wiring on the way out.

#7 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

That makes sense.

The principle behind the smart charge system is that when a battery is cold it charges faster and is able to take a higher charge rate.

This smart system relies on the ECU seeing what the current temperature of the water is and taking a hunch that when cold, the battery will be too.

Part of the system takes a reading from the thermostat to see if it has opened and what temperature the engine is operating at.

It could be just pure coincidence but that alternator replacement could've simply been the charging system wiring on the way out.

But your saying that it could be the case and a broken wire at the themostat could cause the issue. i hope so as i love the car

#8 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

I did quite a bit of research into the smart charging system as I had an issue with an old car of mine that had it fitted.

If you google 'Ford Focus Smart Charge System' there is a dedicated web page of some chaps garage website about it. It goes into a fair amount of detail about how the system works and the importance of a Silver Calcium(sp) battery.

#9 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yeah ive looked on Google myself.

Seems another one of fords bright idea's that when it goes wrong it can cause more issues then normal

So a broken thermostat wire could cause this type of issue and now they have fixed it it should be happening again

#10 Andy H Dibley

Andy H Dibley

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

It shouldn't be no, as long as they've replaced the correct alternator and you have the correct battery.

The old Ford wiring has never been much cop in all honesty! On the old V6 Mondeos and Cougars of the same age, there is actually a recall about the b+ wire (iirc) off of the alternator. The recall is to tighten it up due to the high resistance in the cable causing a volt drop from one side of the engine bay to the main fuse board. It was the common cause of flickering lights on idle. Another fix was to purchase a bit of wire from ford with an eye crimp on one end and bypass the sensing wire from the fuse board and just wire the alternator to itself effectively.

Completely off topic I know but it shows its not just newish wiring that's an issue. And yes it would be lovely to just unplug the smart charge system and run it as a regular alternator but that will leave you with a CEL forever more!

#11 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Like i said i had the alternator replaced 9 or so weeks ago and i can only assume it has the correct battery i will take a look

What do you mean by CEL for evermore ??

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

only ford really understand the smartcharge which is daft as most cars have them these days and have since 2002 is the battery a silver calcium battery it should be either calcium or silver calcium not lead if its lead then that may be the issue the smartcharge cant work on lead acid batteries and many garages dont know this

#13 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

I will check the battery again and get all the details off it and see

#14 RichJones

RichJones

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Ok

Light came on again and codes are the following

P1632 Smart Alternator Faults Sensor/Circuit Malfunction

and now this one

p0037 heated oxygen sensor heater control circuit low

so the thermostat one went out and now shows the above one

Car has now being left with the garage and they have run out of idea's and have said they will take it to a ford dealer

Good or bad ??

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

is it my phone or are there no codes start with checking the type of battery

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users