33 replies to this topic

#1 jonathan_phang

jonathan_phang

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (2005)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi all,

Unfortunately, my first proper post is going to have to be a problem one :( Anyway, bought a second hand Focus Ghia Mk2 for my wife a few weeks back. It hadnt really been driven properly since then as we were sorting out insurance etc, but yeaterday I noticed some fluid in the drivers footwell.

I traced it back, and after removing the side trim of the centre console, I (awkwardly) got a look at the pipes and electrics that are above the pedals. There seems to be a slow leak coming from the join a particualr pipe. I've added two pictures, one showing where it is in relation to the clutch pedal and one showing the join a bit more.

Can anyone identify this pipe for me? Click for larger versions:

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

Two reasons. First, I recently had the car put into Halfords Auto Centre to perform an airconditioning service, as it wasnt working when we bought the car. I hadn't noticed any discharge when we bought the car, test drove it, collected it etc, so I'm wondering if this is a leak due to the coolant/etc that had been replaced for the AC service.

I left something under it overnight, and nothing, so only seems to leak when under pressure. What I haven't tried is drivng it but without using the air conditioning, so will try that later. Finally, the pipe is hot to touch when I discovered the leak, so it seems like its something to do with the heating and cooling system...

Secondly, any ideas about stopping the leak? It doesn't seem to be a nut that I can tighten, but i did notice an adjacent pipe had a black plastic part over its join - does that help to hold it together?

Any ideas on all the above would be great and appreciated.

Many thanks
Jonny

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 STEADS

STEADS

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Name: NEIL
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.8 TDCI TITANIUM AND 2.0 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Heater matrix or air con pipe does it get hot when car running if not its the air con i think the rubber ones are for the heater matrix althougth i have seen ally ones fitteed to some cars if it is the air con and you can live without it i,d just get it drained

#3 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,480 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Heater matrix pipe.

#4 jonathan_phang

jonathan_phang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well, took it for a drive for a few minutes without the aircon, and nothing coming off it when I checked after, though it was only a few minutes. it did get hot, so does seem like the heater matrix pipe.

What actually is flowing through this pipe? Would it be coolant from the reservoir in the engine bay? And what is it used for? If its nothing to do with the airconditioning, then wont bother taking it back to the garage that did the aircon service, and maybe see if I can seal the join somehow.

JP

#5 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

yes its coolant so would need to be replaced have you noticed the level go down in the expansion tank will lead to you having no heater in the winter and possible other problems if you leave it and you loose to much coolant i.e head gasket so act now inexpensive cure could save a bigger bill later on

#6 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

thats a potentialy expensive job get it bk to the garage asap for repair the aircon may have just been low or may have a leak use the aircon and see if it lasts it

#7 jonathan_phang

jonathan_phang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

yes its coolant so would need to be replaced have you noticed the level go down in the expansion tank will lead to you having no heater in the winter and possible other problems if you leave it and you loose to much coolant i.e head gasket so act now inexpensive cure could save a bigger bill later on

Level is still within the mix/max lines and has been driven for about a week I'd say, and the leak isnt a heavy one by any means - though I definitely know its a problem to be dealt with.

thats a potentialy expensive job get it bk to the garage asap for repair the aircon may have just been low or may have a leak use the aircon and see if it lasts it

Would it really be that expensive to fix that pipe? I'm guessing that they would want something to take it out etc. which seems like it would be labour intensive...

Cars, gotta love them!!!
JP

#8 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

its under pressure so 1 the cooling system relies on pressure it raises the boiling point of the coolant if theres a leak even small the pressure will never build up enough add to that the pressure can force the split open the heater wont work properly and theres electrical wiring also you have moisture getting into the car id lift the driver side carpet to check if its wet and if theres rust .
dependant on what you paid you still have by law a 3month warranty on the car so dont wait around take it back or you could face bills beyond 600 quid shortly

#9 jonathan_phang

jonathan_phang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

its under pressure so 1 the cooling system relies on pressure it raises the boiling point of the coolant if theres a leak even small the pressure will never build up enough add to that the pressure can force the split open the heater wont work properly and theres electrical wiring also you have moisture getting into the car id lift the driver side carpet to check if its wet and if theres rust . dependant on what you paid you still have by law a 3month warranty on the car so dont wait around take it back or you could face bills beyond 600 quid shortly

Blimey that doesn't sound good. We paid £3100 for the car 2 weeks ago. That came with a 6 month third party warranty with a company called Auto Protect, and covers mechanical breakdown of listed items (of which the heater matrix is on there, but not explicitly pipework related to the heating system).

I'll have a look around to see what the legislation is this 3 month warranty that they have to give different to the above. I can see the dealer saying they dont have to cover it, and I can see the third party provided just saying that its not covered.

This is going to be fun :(
JP

#10 STEADS

STEADS

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

the leak will be covered on your normal warranty through the garage those extra warranties are not worth the paper there written on always a get out clause ie because its connected to a part that isnt covered had this prob on my range rover warranty .

#11 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,154 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

That's a pipe for the a/c, the 2 rubber ones behind it are for the matrix. I have never come across alloy pipes for a heater matrix

What colour is the leaking liquid?

can you get a better pic of the part circled in red?

#12 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

ill pop the cover off when i get home and have a look at this pipe and see where it goes

#13 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

steffs right aircon pipe from the drier to the evaporator which can be just as expensive as it will need new aircon pipes fitted the sysyem tested and flushed and refilled providing everything else is okay

#14 jonathan_phang

jonathan_phang

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

the leak will be covered on your normal warranty through the garage those extra warranties are not worth the paper there written on always a get out clause ie because its connected to a part that isnt covered had this prob on my range rover warranty .

Right, so the 'normal' warranty you talk about is the 3 month one that car dealers have to provide by law? I think this is always going to be a tricky thing, so just want to make sure of what I can go back and say is the dealer liability - googling brings up so many different opinions on the matter :(

That's a pipe for the a/c, the 2 rubber ones behind it are for the matrix. I have never come across alloy pipes for a heater matrix. What colour is the leaking liquid? can you get a better pic of the part circled in red?

Makes more sense as it would explain why I never noticed anything there before, as we only got the air con service done on Tuesday. Have to say that I'm not 100% sure of the colour. Will have to give it a drive with the AC on see what comes out. I would say its quite a pale/light colour though. Will also try and contort myself to get a better pic of the join.

steffs right aircon pipe from the drier to the evaporator which can be just as expensive as it will need new aircon pipes fitted the sysyem tested and flushed and refilled providing everything else is okay

Well, that sounds like its going to be quite labour intensive :( Going to try and gather any information regarding what I can and cant say to the dealer and see if I can get him to cover any costs, as it was sold with functioning AC, and even though I dont mind paying for a regas, if the pipework fundamentally doesnt allow it to work properly then surely that must be something they are liable for?

Really appreciate the help though - much appreciated.

Jonny

#15 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,277 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

by law dealers must supply a 3mnth warranty with the car i know as a dealer i know had to fit a new engine to a car.
its covered under the sale of goods act any citizens advice can tell you this it also shows that a leak test wasnt done during the aircon service i advise calling the dealer first thing a.m and take it from there but you have to do it now

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users