Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fault Code P1288 (Cylinder Head Temp Sensor Out Of Range)

Hutchy70

Hi Guys,

Just had a fault develop on my 2006 TDCi Mondeo and had to call my breakdown service. He diagnosed the error code P1288 (Cylinder Head Temp Sensor Out Of Range). The symptoms were that the temperature gauge dropped to zero, the engine warning light came on and the car lost power and went into Limp Mode. Also, after the car was parked the rad fan continued to run for about 5 mins. :angry:

Can anyone please tell me how to change this sensor :rolleyes: Do I need special tools to do the fix B)

Any help and with diagrams if poss would be greatly appreciated :D

My very best regards

Bob.

Cant help you too much on the details, as I dont have access to any of the resources at the moment... this could be a misreading, as it could actually be a fault with the thermostat as opposed to anything else.

Have you checked that all senors are connected and well placed / stuck in place?

Hi Jeebowhite,

Thanks for the tip, I will check the temp of the radiator when the fan stops, as I think if the thermostat was actually stuck the engine would start boiling and gushing steam (only my inexperienced guessing coming into play here -_- lol). The breakdown guy plugged a meter into the car which immediately gave this code P1288 which points directly to the C/head stat. I will let you know my findings after tonight.

Thanks for your response and advice :) ,

Best regards,

Bob.

Hi Dan62,

Thanks for your response, I had a good look at this today and trace the cable leading to the Temp Sensor and it appears to be behind a pulley and as I see it, it looks like I will have to remove this pulley to get at the sensor :angry: I just can't see any other way (assuming I'm looking in the right place, ha, ha). Maybe the Ford parts dept. might confirm it's position etc. I will give them a call tomorrow and hope they'll talk to me :D

I heard somewhere that it needs a special spanner as it is recessed, do you know if that is correct also would you know of a link I can go to where I could see a diagram of it in situ ?

Very many thanks for your help,

Bob.

or anyone with the Ford eCat lol, JohnH might be worth contacting, he is one who immediately comes to mind as having this software :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Guys,Well I finally got a new C/H Temp Sensor on eBay for £25 (New). I have now got the Haynes w/s Manual for my 2006 TDCi Mondeo also, however the manual was of little help on this (typical) :wacko: Anyway, I got stuck-in and here's the route I took should this be useful for future reference to anyone suffering the same problems I had. So here goes,

Firstly, I removed the cover over the pump pulley on the right hand side of the Cylinder Head which revealed the location of the sensor which was in a very tight working area. The manual said I needed to remove this pully to facilitate changing the sensor, yeh right :angry: However this pulley had convenient slots in it so you could pass a socket drive through to access the sensor.

Next, came the problem of the wire attached preventing the use of a normal socket wrench (a spanner was of no use either as the sensor is recessed) So I found an old 15mm socket and cut a slot to about 3/4 of the way down with a thin disc cutter to allow the wire to exit the side of the socket. I next had to stab the starter a few times to get the window slot in the pulley in just the right position, after disconnecting the plug connector I then carefully turned the sensor about a quarter of a turn at a time until the cable started to jam against the c/h, then by releasing and re-positioning the socket I was able to free and finally remove the sensor.

Finally, I fitted the new sensor in position and did the reverse procedure to tighten it, (It doesn't need much torque, about 6ft/lb only is recommended). I reconnected the plug and started the engine and voila, the engine warning light went out. So I took it for a test drive and found no further problems. I also had full turbo power again (no more limp mode) :rolleyes:. Job done and all in under one hour !

I hope this saga was not too boring, but I thought the procedure will be of some use to other FOC members.

My best regards to all,

Bob.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello.

My by too late but I have the same problem and got the solution here:

http://www.bilforumet.no/bilmerker/ford/mondeo/298900-mister-trekkraft-mkiii-2-0tdci.html

Most of it is i norwegian but one of the comment is on english and my picture should help you.

I will channgce the sensor in obout a week and will post more picture.

• 2 months later...

Cheers for posting this I had the same problem, got myself the F super for my laptop and got the code P1288 installed the new part last weekend all is running properly now.

I put a quick video together from stills I took with my own rundown of how I did it.

Here it is, hope it helps someone in the future

It's on YouTube titled

"Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Location and Removal Ford Mondeo TDCi 2.0 (2004)"

Regards

Stu

• 1 year later...

I had the same issues with focus after changing cam-belt last weekend and damaged the wire. changed sensor today and every think works again, fan not on overdrive, coolant temp on dash, glow plug indicator wire on dash, so I know it working but the code P1288 has not reset itself. My hand held OBD II reader wont erase code. Would anyone take to a garage to reset or just leave it as I know I have fixed the fault?

Mick..

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Just wondering if all these fixes turned out to be successful long term fixes as I've bought the sensor today and have the 15mm cut away socket arriving tomorrow?

• 1 year later...

HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THE CYLINDER HEAD TEMP SENSOR IS LOCATED ON A MONDEO 1.8 TDCI.2009 model.THANKS. 

Edited by Conn
Missed text

• 6 months later...

Hi

Its situated on n/s of engine bay (battery side) if you look at your fuel filter and look for an electrical lead you will first of all see the oil temp sensor,

Missprint in Haynes manual (lead me on a merry time wasting experience) page 3/6 shows picture with arrow and says this is the sensor-Its NOT.

If you remove complete air filter box assy and look below the top oil sensor you will just see it and the trailing electric connection but in order to gain access

you will have to remove the oil separator (the plastic housing with pipes going into it from the rocker cover) once this is moved out of the way you can clearly 

see it and remove with ring spanner or socket (I modified my 15 mm ring spanner by grinding a slot to allow for the cable access) the replacement from eBay

was 13mm.

Please also note that you will not loose any coolant as the sensor does not measure water temperature but the temperature of the metal cylinder head and 

relays this to the temperature gauge.No seal/washer is required to seal it due to there being no contact with water.(sits in blind orifice bore hole)

Hope this helps.

Also see a very helpful write up by Paul Hodg re cooling fan problem listed under "Ford S max/Galaxy radiator cooling fan not working" which is also 

applicable to Mk4 Mondeo.

• Like 1