Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Tdci 1.8 Smoking & P0299 Turbo Underboost

Lawis

Whats the plan stan....?

Smoking like a aged rock star when around 2k, P0299 coming up on the code reader,

This is my first TD so i'm not really sure what i'm looking at when it comes to turbos.

Cheers guys

P2099 from the top of my head means low boost on diesels and running rich on petrols.

What colour is the smoke?

If the turbo is not producing enough boost then it would overfuel and smoke...

When did it last have an air filter change?

Starts to point towards the turbo, how does it sound? How many miles? have you kept upto date with oil & filter changes?

Have you pulled a pipe of and had a waggle of the rotor? There should be no noticable movement in the bearing however a coating of a oil in the pips is acceptable?

Is it burning oil?

Check the high pressure side of the pipework from the turbo & intercooler?

Does it hiss or wheesh when it should be boosting? My 1.6tdci split the intercooler and that caused a noticable wheesh....

Hi mate, thanks you the reply.

I only bought the car 3 months ago, and have done 3,000 miles or so on it so i can't say when the air filter was changed, should this be my first step?

This is my first desisel and also my first turbo car, so i'm new to all this, and not really sure what i'm looking at,

I'll have a look though some online guides though :)

Smoke is a dark/black colour, no hissing, and i will check the oil tomorrow (living on a hill makes this a pain!)

Had a look at the pipes and they all seem to be as they should,

Took the air filter out, and it was very very dirty, so getting a new one tomorrow, and we shall see if it solves it. :)

i may be wrong but give it a sevice and get it checked out by a reputable mechanic/mapper to make sure it is running right. mine was struggling if i booted it at aprox 50mph in 3rd but i had it serviced and it drives so much better now.

• 2 months later...

Little update...

Changed the air filter, and sort of solved the problem, but not 100%

Took it to a garage and they ran a proper diagnostics on it

Reporting the faults to be:

MAF Sensor

Wastegate

He said there is no way to find out which one is causing the problem,

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks

maf sensor will be easiest to change but you could see if it needs a clean and try this first.

wastegate could be more expensive due to its location

I had similar problem. The issue is related to a popped hose. Either from the intercooler exit to the intake manifold OR the turbo exit back to the intercooler. Check for oil leakage or spray of oil.

I am pretty sure its a blown hose. Best you replace all your hoses to silicone type ie Samco etc. They last way longer.

Note - my ford hoses appeared to be cracked when i took them out to inspect. My leakage was at the intercooler to intake manifold ( split at the intercooler side)

maf sensor will be easiest to change but you could see if it needs a clean and try this first.

wastegate could be more expensive due to its location

That;s basically what the mechanic said.... really hope it's not the wastegate, as i'm every so slightly broke atm :)

I had similar problem. The issue is related to a popped hose. Either from the intercooler exit to the intake manifold OR the turbo exit back to the intercooler. Check for oil leakage or spray of oil.

I am pretty sure its a blown hose. Best you replace all your hoses to silicone type ie Samco etc. They last way longer.

Note - my ford hoses appeared to be cracked when i took them out to inspect. My leakage was at the intercooler to intake manifold ( split at the intercooler side)

I was hoping it was this, but they had a look at the pipes when it was in the garage, and couldn't see anything....

• 2 months later...

Just though I'd update!

Turns out it was a split pipe, the first garage must've just not looked well enough!

Thanks everyone :)