Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta - Hidden Storage On Dashboard (Under Radio)

The Festive Fiesta

Hey,

I recently bought my '58 fiesta Zetec and was wondering about that panel underneath the radio on the dashboard. I've heard it's hidden storage (which would make sense given the position) but I can't seem to get it open. I can sort of wedge it open at the top corners with my key but I don't want to pull it too hard unless I break it.

Can anyone tell me if it actually does open on my model or not?

Thanks!

Keep pulling. It's clipped in at the center so work your way inwards from the outer edges.

But won't that break the clip so it won't go back in?

Also how come it's so stiff? I thought it would be a push in release device.

But won't that break the clip so it won't go back in?

It's a plastic lug pushed in to a metal clip - worst happens the metal bends and you'll need to push it back in

Also how come it's so stiff? I thought it would be a push in release device.

Because it's not designed to be open. Ford sealed it up.

I still speculate as to why it is there. Did Ford intend it to be a storage compartment then changed their minds ? Seems quite a clanger to make when every penny counts in car design. After opening mine and fitting magnetic carches I now never use it now as it is the wrong shape to be of much use. Is it intended for something in the future such as a DAB decoder for cars with ananlogue radios ? Now there's a big market opportunity !

Exactly, Ford designed it to be storage (in pre-production photos you can see a lip to pull it down with) but then realised it was too small to be of any use. Rectifying it would have involving re-styling the whole radio and centre console at a massive cost.

Im thinking if getting a small USB hardrive with all my tracks on and hiding it in there with the USB lead running from the port, then just sealing it shut again? i can store my iPhone and ipod in there but its not convenient when your in and out with in 5 mins, thinking about a latch system on a hinge instead of the magnets?... Any other tech you think could be put there?

As my insurance company recently sent me a letter explaining that leaving a portable sat nav on display or in an unlocked glove box will void my insurance, I now keep my sat nav hidden in this inconspicuous storage area. Eventually I plan to make a sat nav mount that extends from said storage area.

The magnets I fitted (as per my guide) have proved very reliable at holding the door securely closed whilst driving and have not become detached even on the hottest of days. Result.

I think when i get some time, il try and figure alternative ways :)

• 11 years later...

very late to this thread, i'm using mine to store my very small CB radio, fits perfectly with the door but I've removed it for ease of access. :)

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, wood308 said:

very late to this thread,

Yes very, it's only took you eleven years to find the hidden box 🤣

21 minutes ago, unofix said:

Pahahah, only had the car for a few weeks 🤣

On 10/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, unofix said:

I found it yesterday too by accident and now wondering what use I could give to it. Maybe a console for screen mirroring. Suggestions? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club