Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Filter Replacement

vuv716g

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Diesel Sportvan (2007 model year fo reference) which has just covered 30,000 miles. I have just replaced the fuel pump filter (a large plastic box!). Unfortunately it will now not start.

I assume that there is an air lock of some description as despite turning over a few times and turning the ignition on for a period also several times I am unable to detect any sign of fuel.

I have undone the little black plug on the top of the plastic filter box and seen fuel go through but after doing it back up the car will still not start (assume now that this is a drain plug ?).

Is there anyone who knows the process of priming the filter that can offer any advice please ? I could not find a Haynes manual for this model year (typically :)) or a recognisable manual pump in the engine compartment.

Many thanks in advance,

Steven

Not sure about the sports van but the normal fiestas have a primer in the engine compartment on the drivers side. It shouldnt b too difficult to spot. Fords diesels are always a pain to bleed.

I usually spray some brake cleaner in the air intake while sum1 else cranks the engine over. Only spray short bursts tho! If u spray too much the engine will just rev up dangerously. Don't spray any once the engine has started either. Diesel has lubrication qualities that brake cleaner doesn't. Letting the engine run on it for a prolonged time can cause damage. There's a bit of a knack to it B)

Not sure about the sports van but the normal fiestas have a primer in the engine compartment on the drivers side. It shouldnt b too difficult to spot. Fords diesels are always a pain to bleed.

I usually spray some brake cleaner in the air intake while sum1 else cranks the engine over. Only spray short bursts tho! If u spray too much the engine will just rev up dangerously. Don't spray any once the engine has started either. Diesel has lubrication qualities that brake cleaner doesn't. Letting the engine run on it for a prolonged time can cause damage. There's a bit of a knack to it B)

Gaz - really appreciate the response. The SportVan is really just a 1.6 TD Fiesta - do you know what these primer's look like by any chance ? Sorry if I appear stupid.

Here's a pic a have found of google. Think its of a boat

AA18.jpg

Yours should look very similar to that. Think its got clear fuel lines coming out either end of it. Just squeeze it till it starts to go hard and it should start. If the engine starts to die on u just keep squeezing it till you cant see any air bubbles in the lines.

Its on the top of the engine on the left hand side as you look at it. Its sort of tucked in but its easy enough to spot if you no what your looking for ;)

Here's a pic a have found of google. Think its of a boat

AA18.jpg

Yours should look very similar to that. Think its got clear fuel lines coming out either end of it. Just squeeze it till it starts to go hard and it should start. If the engine starts to die on u just keep squeezing it till you cant see any air bubbles in the lines.

Its on the top of the engine on the left hand side as you look at it. Its sort of tucked in but its easy enough to spot if you no what your looking for ;)

Thanks again for the follow up. In fact I was unable to find such a thing anywhere on my vehicle (a 2007 Ford Fiesta 1.6 TD since I think I may have neglected to put the year). I had replaced the fuel after carefully removing the old and putting the new one back in precisely the same way and thought nothing more of it - only realising when after carrying out the other interim service items that it would no longer start.

What I did with help from this post was to attach a length of undersize silicon tube (for a tight fit) to the outlet (marked on the top and obviously going from the pump) on the filter and a turkey baster to the end of that with which I was able to draw the fuel into the filter and afterwards start the car after only a couple of cranks. To help things along I also used fuel that I had drawn into the baster to squirt a little diesel into the outlet pipe to get things going.

Thanks you very much for the answer to my request for help - it really is much appreciated.

When I ring the Ford dealer (with whom I am quite friendly) I will ask what they do and if there is a manual primer anywhere on my vehicle that I may have missed - obviously I will post the answer back here.

Thanks again Gaz,

Steven

Your welcome. Glad to help. Think the dealers use a primer that they can connect into the system or gravity bleed them. Its not that complicated but you need plastic connectors. Not sure if ford sell them. Let you no how you get on anyway

Your welcome. Glad to help. Think the dealers use a primer that they can connect into the system or gravity bleed them. Its not that complicated but you need plastic connectors. Not sure if ford sell them. Let you no how you get on anyway

It seems from the conversation that I had with my local dealer (Foreman Ford in Borough Green nr Sevenoaks, Kent) that the hand primer is no longer present because the rubber tended to perish over time itself then causing problems. The way that things happen in the service department is very similar to the suggestion and what I did - apparently they keep a can of diesel to hand to get things going especially given the sealed nature of the filter (strange as it is possible to empty by undoing the screw in knob on the top of it and place a canister underneath to capture the contents).

Hope this is at least vaguely helpful to others that may wish to replace a fuel filter on a diesel powered Ford Fiesta from 2007.

Steven