• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 English Electric

English Electric

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: 2003 MK1 Focus C MAX 1.6 Petrol Zetec

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

I bought 5 litres of Ford Super Plus Premium from a reputable company online. Once mixed 50 50 with water, I tested it with one of those "turkey baster" style testers, with the 6 different coloured discs. Only the first 2 discs float, giving a protection around the late teens.

To get anything near -37 (as stated on the container) I needed to up the concentration to around 2/3 - 3/4 antifreeze.

I tested the antifreeze neat and the 6 discs floated correctly meaning not safe. Also normal water makes no discs float which is correct.

I went out and purchased a 1.99 tester from Halfords (3 floating balls) just to get another perspective. A 50 50 mix makes 2 balls float meaning -17'C which sort backs up the the other tester.

It is possible that the Ford antifreeze I have got is a dodgy batch? Or it is likely both testers are way off the mark?

I have a mix of around 60% antifreeze, 40% water and it gives 3 floating discs and -23' protection which I am happy with. What I am bothered about is whether the higher concentration of antfreeze will have any long term affect on the cooling system?

Note - also the mix is orange like the older stuff, and not the newer pink/purple (which I thought was strange)

Regards Paul

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 MikePaine

MikePaine

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600
  • Year: 2011

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Only really accurate way of telling is with a proper a.f tester, should be tested on all services, or just nip in to a garage on a saturday and bung someone a few quid to check it for ya

#3 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,552 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Are you sure it wasnt pre-mixed coolant that you bought?

#4 English Electric

English Electric

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

When tested neat it says says NOT SAFE so it's not pre-mixed.

I'm wondering if it's old stock. I wonder if it's been sitting in a warehouse for the last 7 years or something. It would explain why it's orange (instead of pink/purple) and was £14.99

#5 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,117 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

When tested neat it says says NOT SAFE so it's not pre-mixed.

I'm wondering if it's old stock. I wonder if it's been sitting in a warehouse for the last 7 years or something. It would explain why it's orange (instead of pink/purple) and was £14.99

if you read the bottle it may have a CFA code or cert of analises code.
you can then go online with the code and print out a COA for that specific batch detailing its percentage content down to .001 aswell as its manufacture date etc.

#6 English Electric

English Electric

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

OK Lenny, on the back of bottle lower left corner it says
5L e
1 336 808
4U7J 195544 EB2A

on the lower right corner it says

i Fir No. 151427
04/04 PMS.NO VFL 18 13 A4

I really hope the 04/04 bit isn't the date of manufacture! What do you think would be the COA code Lenny?

Cheers Paul

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users