Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You Never Know When Your Driving Is Being Recorded - Dash Cams

2011fiesta

looks alright apart from the loose bracket. Software looks easier to use than one of ours too.

Actually I'm just thinking I can't turn off the interior facing lense on my forward facing camera on the menu, even though the box said you could - maybe plugging it into the tele will reveal more options - worth a shot.

Hi guys,

I have skipped by this thread for a while now but after my seat Ibiza was damaged again last night parked at my house this was my first call to see what you guys are using.

So I'm looking for a small discreet camera that has the ability to film when it's reasonably dark.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions for a suitable camera?

Also is there any legal issues with using a recording device in the car? Especially whilst its parked?

Cheers guys

Got this one in mind...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-DV-Dual-Camera-Lens-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Cam-Dash-Video-Recorder-16-IR-Lights-/350662121993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51a5175a09

Hi guys,

I have skipped by this thread for a while now but after my seat Ibiza was damaged again last night parked at my house this was my first call to see what you guys are using.

So I'm looking for a small discreet camera that has the ability to film when it's reasonably dark.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions for a suitable camera?

Also is there any legal issues with using a recording device in the car? Especially whilst its parked?

Cheers guys

Got this one in mind...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-DV-Dual-Camera-Lens-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Cam-Dash-Video-Recorder-16-IR-Lights-/350662121993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51a5175a09

Hi stef,

That one in the link must be a newer version of the one I have facing out my rear window as looks the same, but mine isn't HD.

It feels very cheap when u get it out the box mind - i think there's better quality ones available for less money than £53 if you have a scan through eBay.

I'll have a search through my favourites tomorrow to see how I can find

Have to recommend the one I've fitted. Should find it on eBay if you search for X6000 DVR. About £50. Small, dual lens, GPS, shock sensors, iR LED's, full logging of everything going on etc. Been rock solid and reliable. it's amazing the things it captures. I even caught (kid you not) Santa running southbound on the A350, just north of Warminster a few weeks back. Was a concern if I'm honest :-/ Guess he was legging it from Mrs Santa.

Hi stef,

That one in the link must be a newer version of the one I have facing out my rear window as looks the same, but mine isn't HD.

It feels very cheap when u get it out the box mind - i think there's better quality ones available for less money than £53 if you have a scan through eBay.

I'll have a search through my favourites tomorrow to see how I can find

thanks mate, as i have never had one im not quite sure what im looking for to be honest. also looking for something with no shiny bits on it lol.

Have to recommend the one I've fitted. Should find it on eBay if you search for X6000 DVR. About £50. Small, dual lens, GPS, shock sensors, iR LED's, full logging of everything going on etc. Been rock solid and reliable. it's amazing the things it captures. I even caught (kid you not) Santa running southbound on the A350, just north of Warminster a few weeks back. Was a concern if I'm honest :-/ Guess he was legging it from Mrs Santa.

:lol: :lol:

thanks mate, only thing that put me off the X6000 was the screen in the middle - it looks quite bulk compared with some of them?

Got my X6000 just behind the windscreen mirror, slightly to the left. It sticks out slightly but has to for the second inward facing camera. I find with it there it captures what's going on through the windscreen, inside the car, back window and a few bits through the driver side windows too. Size wise the main body of the camera is a bit like a slightly fatter pack of polo mints, the screen is perhaps 2.5'ish cm diagonal and can be turned off. It's not distracting and gives irritating passengers the chance to admire themselves on long journeys.

There are smaller and better built but they're much of a muchness. Mostly Russian audience targeted cheap Chinese manufacture but chose the right one and it's a discreet neatly packaged little insurance policy and peace of mind. I don't want people hitting me but I'm not half as bothered about other people's stupid driving any more.

Word to the wise though, it logs everything including bad habits and your speed. I passed a Police speed check and wondered for a mo wh was watching who. Either way, at the time that was the smallest I could find that was cheap, reliable, had all the logging, GPS and shock features and dual lenses. The GPs ones have got some cool handy features like positioning with a Google Maps overlay so you can watch the footage and see the data inc g/shock, speed etc but also exactly where you are on the map as you tootle along.

It's already proven its worth for me this year when I was rear ended. They had difficulty pinning him down and I showed them what I'd recorded, job done and case closed. A mate fitted one soon after and he was rear ended too. The driver accepted fault to the insurers but later foolishly changed his mind and said he hadn't been there after all. Mate showed insurer and Police the footage/data and now idiot is preparing to face prosecution by the insurers. Definitely worth the money and always something you know you should buy leave until it's too late and someone runs up your chuf.

Got my X6000 just behind the windscreen mirror, slightly to the left. It sticks out slightly but has to for the second inward facing camera. I find with it there it captures what's going on through the windscreen, inside the car, back window and a few bits through the driver side windows too. Size wise the main body of the camera is a bit like a slightly fatter pack of polo mints, the screen is perhaps 2.5'ish cm diagonal and can be turned off. It's not distracting and gives irritating passengers the chance to admire themselves on long journeys.

There are smaller and better built but they're much of a muchness. Mostly Russian audience targeted cheap Chinese manufacture but chose the right one and it's a discreet neatly packaged little insurance policy and peace of mind. I don't want people hitting me but I'm not half as bothered about other people's stupid driving any more.

Word to the wise though, it logs everything including bad habits and your speed. I passed a Police speed check and wondered for a mo wh was watching who. Either way, at the time that was the smallest I could find that was cheap, reliable, had all the logging, GPS and shock features and dual lenses. The GPs ones have got some cool handy features like positioning with a Google Maps overlay so you can watch the footage and see the data inc g/shock, speed etc but also exactly where you are on the map as you tootle along.

It's already proven its worth for me this year when I was rear ended. They had difficulty pinning him down and I showed them what I'd recorded, job done and case closed. A mate fitted one soon after and he was rear ended too. The driver accepted fault to the insurers but later foolishly changed his mind and said he hadn't been there after all. Mate showed insurer and Police the footage/data and now idiot is preparing to face prosecution by the insurers. Definitely worth the money and always something you know you should buy leave until it's too late and someone runs up your chuf.

Haha, must be good then.

Just had a look at this on eBay and it does look like a nice little piece of kit - software side of it looks good too, better than my ones anyway.

Maybe you should look into this one Stef?

Wow, that is just horrifying. I'm quite speechless. What a complete physco.

ok so i got my camera and memory card today, X4000 and 32GB class 6 micro sd..

first thoughts are, it looks and feels pretty good, compact - just what i need really.

IR lights are very good and should have enough range for my needs.

just getting used to the controls and how to work it but it does appear to be very good.

Hi Stef,

Can you let me know how many hours recording your 32gb Micro sd can hold after its been filled up please?

Hi Stef,

Can you let me know how many hours recording your 32gb Micro sd can hold after its been filled up please?

Ok, I'm using only the forward facing camera on the highest resolution, but between 9 and 9.5 hours its saying

Th card has a formatted capacity of 29.6gb

Just YouTube'd the X4000, although its the same casing as my rear cam is definatly been improved. Better quality footage and menus.

Got pics of it fitted yet?

• 1 month later...

ok so i got my camera and memory card today, X4000 and 32GB class 6 micro sd..

first thoughts are, it looks and feels pretty good, compact - just what i need really.

IR lights are very good and should have enough range for my needs.

just getting used to the controls and how to work it but it does appear to be very good.

Thinking of replacing my front cam as you can't seem to turn off the internal cam, and I don't want to be on footage if I start uploading it to youtube (yeah sad I know).

Just wondered how you were finding your cam after having it a little while now?

Thinking of replacing my front cam as you can't seem to turn off the internal cam, and I don't want to be on footage if I start uploading it to youtube (yeah sad I know).

Just wondered how you were finding your cam after having it a little while now?

yeah it was all going well until i dropped it and broke the bracket for it :lol:

impressed with the quality, even in the dark its quite good. well worth the money IMO

yeah it was all going well until i dropped it and broke the bracket for it :lol:

impressed with the quality, even in the dark its quite good. well worth the money IMO

Oh dear lol yeah the bracket bits aren't the strongest.

Thanks Stef

Oh dear lol yeah the bracket bits aren't the strongest.

Thanks Stef

yeah they are a bit cheap. I will sort something out :lol:

I had tried to fix the camera to the black section where the rear view mirror attaches to the windscreen - it held for about 5 then dropped and broke - oops

Im not using the camera at the moment - its job is done for the time being. I had my 2 cars vandalised 5 times in 4 nights, so obviously i wanted the camera to be as discrete as possible.

In the end i resorted to surveillance of my own for 3 LONG nights but it did pay off in the long run - just waiting on the court now.

I built my own little dash cam set up, out of 2 damaged ones I got off a mate. Basically mounted the little lens on the front of the rear view mirror and attached the rest via wires in to the glove box, and then one in the rear going to the same unit in the glove box. Works a treat, and cost about £20 all-in as I had most of the stuff already.

I built my own little dash cam set up, out of 2 damaged ones I got off a mate. Basically mounted the little lens on the front of the rear view mirror and attached the rest via wires in to the glove box, and then one in the rear going to the same unit in the glove box. Works a treat, and cost about £20 all-in as I had most of the stuff already.

thats a cracking idea! so you have basically mounted just the camera and the rest of the bulky stuff is in the glove box? so its very discrete?

Yep, you honestly can't tell it's even there even if you look right at it, just looks like a sensor of some sort. Microphone works fine on it too still which is a plus. Was quite a faff getting it done, but now is easily transferable to my next vehicle.

Yep, you honestly can't tell it's even there even if you look right at it, just looks like a sensor of some sort. Microphone works fine on it too still which is a plus. Was quite a faff getting it done, but now is easily transferable to my next vehicle.

I do like the sound of that to be honest, and would much prefer to do that as a long term thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased. So good so far.

I forgot to take pics of it fitted so I'll do that tomorrow.

IMG_2245_zpsfca4e69e.jpg

this is the rear one that plugs into the main (front) one:

IMG_2246_zpsc3ba2dee.jpg

Test footage (day, night, then rear view [which is pointed a little too high at the moment])

th_Testfootage_zps89f6279d.jpg

Why would you want it pointing any lower? You'll only be recording more of the dash that never changes. You want as much of the outside as possible.

Why would you want it pointing any lower? You'll only be recording more of the dash that never changes. You want as much of the outside as possible.

No, sorry, I meant the rear one needs to be pointed a little lower. When a car pulls up behind I could only see it's roof.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Front: (Inset on the screen is the rear view)

IMG_2302_zps8ecad348.jpg

Rear:

IMG_2304_zps42ab9c82.jpg