b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,529 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

I could do with a decent cam, just don't want to end up with a crappy one lol.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Name: Philip
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Ecoboost
Contributor

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Morning,
Could I ask where you got the switch that goes to your power point? I'm after something like that but no luck finding anything.
Phil

Just wondered how many of you have dash cams in your car? I often watch bad drivers on YouTube that have been caught on other people’s dash cams, or driver’s purposely causing bumps and rear endings so they can get cash from the victim’s insurers etc.

I've had a dash cam for about a year after seeing the usual idiots that we have to share the road with - (luckily I've never been involved in anything and I've never had to use my footage as evidence, but it’s nice to know I can prove/show what happened if I was involved in an incident).

For the first time today I actually noticed 2 other cars pass me that also had cash cams on - one was a taxi driver which makes sense being on the road all the time.

Me and my dad have cameras that stick to the screen and hang from underneath the rear view mirrors - how ever with my dad being a driving instructor we ordered a replacement that iNath also uses - its much smaller and hides behind the mirror so it’s unnoticeable to the driver (I'll post pics of it once fitted tomorrow).

My cameras now effectively a spare and is currently pointing out my back window, and my dads current HD cam is now in the front of my car.
(I know its not the neatest or most subtle but I'll be able to remove them easily without trace when changing cars, and for the time being, well, they do their job)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wouldn't know where to start to wire them to the ignition so I just use this switch to turn em on and off...
Posted Image

The wires to the cams run from the power outlet, then under the drivers chair and into a 4 way socket adapter, then out towards the drivers door and into the rubber door seals, through the A pillar, headliner and out to the camera.

Only sloppy/visible bit is this section but its only me that sees it so I can live with that...
Posted Image

My new front cam from my dads car unfortunately has an interior view cam too so please ignore the right hand side. It ain't as good as the exterior view so hence on sunny days it makes people look like Casper the ghost.
Posted Image

Yeah, so I guess you never know who’s watching you. It'd be good to hear if anyone else uses dash cams and if you've ever had to use the footage?

Heres a few YouTube vids.

This first one is a must watch if you haven't already seen it. Watch the whole thing, its quite shocking. (London Southall)
http://youtu.be/2ex6dHzcgOE

http://youtu.be/ZqRUon1zj0o

http://youtu.be/FRC7RO2tOJQ

http://youtu.be/aScQ5xRJpb4

Great YouTube channel.... http://www.youtube.c...s/videos?view=0

#48 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: 2011 Fiesta Titanium Auto
  • Year: 2011

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Morning,
Could I ask where you got the switch that goes to your power point? I'm after something like that but no luck finding anything.
Phil

It's a 4 way adapter from halfords. The 4 way end sits under my drivers seat out of view then the power point end with on/off switch plugs into the 12V outlet obviously.
Maybe 6 to 8 pound if I remember rightly

Paul :)

#49 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

This was on BBC1 the other night, if anyones bored and got an hour to kill - it features a few YouTubers that I watch.

iPlayer link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk...Britains_Roads/

#50 irononreverse

irononreverse

Too much time on the boards

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Zetec Mk7

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

Here's a pretty small and cheap one, about £36 and includes GPS and impact sensor.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4abc7b2571

And a review of it.

#51 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

looks alright apart from the loose bracket. Software looks easier to use than one of ours too.

Actually I'm just thinking I can't turn off the interior facing lense on my forward facing camera on the menu, even though the box said you could - maybe plugging it into the tele will reveal more options - worth a shot.

#52 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,291 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi guys,
I have skipped by this thread for a while now but after my seat Ibiza was damaged again last night parked at my house this was my first call to see what you guys are using.

So I'm looking for a small discreet camera that has the ability to film when it's reasonably dark.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions for a suitable camera?

Also is there any legal issues with using a recording device in the car? Especially whilst its parked?

Cheers guys

Got this one in mind...
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a5175a09

#53 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Hi guys,
I have skipped by this thread for a while now but after my seat Ibiza was damaged again last night parked at my house this was my first call to see what you guys are using.

So I'm looking for a small discreet camera that has the ability to film when it's reasonably dark.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions for a suitable camera?

Also is there any legal issues with using a recording device in the car? Especially whilst its parked?

Cheers guys

Got this one in mind...
http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a5175a09

Hi stef,
That one in the link must be a newer version of the one I have facing out my rear window as looks the same, but mine isn't HD.
It feels very cheap when u get it out the box mind - i think there's better quality ones available for less money than 53 if you have a scan through eBay.
I'll have a search through my favourites tomorrow to see how I can find

#54 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Have to recommend the one I've fitted. Should find it on eBay if you search for X6000 DVR. About 50. Small, dual lens, GPS, shock sensors, iR LED's, full logging of everything going on etc. Been rock solid and reliable. it's amazing the things it captures. I even caught (kid you not) Santa running southbound on the A350, just north of Warminster a few weeks back. Was a concern if I'm honest :-/ Guess he was legging it from Mrs Santa.

#55 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,291 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hi stef,
That one in the link must be a newer version of the one I have facing out my rear window as looks the same, but mine isn't HD.
It feels very cheap when u get it out the box mind - i think there's better quality ones available for less money than £53 if you have a scan through eBay.
I'll have a search through my favourites tomorrow to see how I can find

thanks mate, as i have never had one im not quite sure what im looking for to be honest. also looking for something with no shiny bits on it lol.

Have to recommend the one I've fitted. Should find it on eBay if you search for X6000 DVR. About £50. Small, dual lens, GPS, shock sensors, iR LED's, full logging of everything going on etc. Been rock solid and reliable. it's amazing the things it captures. I even caught (kid you not) Santa running southbound on the A350, just north of Warminster a few weeks back. Was a concern if I'm honest :-/ Guess he was legging it from Mrs Santa.

:lol: :lol:
thanks mate, only thing that put me off the X6000 was the screen in the middle - it looks quite bulk compared with some of them?

#56 BrownMotoring

BrownMotoring

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Contributor

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Got my X6000 just behind the windscreen mirror, slightly to the left. It sticks out slightly but has to for the second inward facing camera. I find with it there it captures what's going on through the windscreen, inside the car, back window and a few bits through the driver side windows too. Size wise the main body of the camera is a bit like a slightly fatter pack of polo mints, the screen is perhaps 2.5'ish cm diagonal and can be turned off. It's not distracting and gives irritating passengers the chance to admire themselves on long journeys.

There are smaller and better built but they're much of a muchness. Mostly Russian audience targeted cheap Chinese manufacture but chose the right one and it's a discreet neatly packaged little insurance policy and peace of mind. I don't want people hitting me but I'm not half as bothered about other people's stupid driving any more.

Word to the wise though, it logs everything including bad habits and your speed. I passed a Police speed check and wondered for a mo wh was watching who. Either way, at the time that was the smallest I could find that was cheap, reliable, had all the logging, GPS and shock features and dual lenses. The GPs ones have got some cool handy features like positioning with a Google Maps overlay so you can watch the footage and see the data inc g/shock, speed etc but also exactly where you are on the map as you tootle along.

It's already proven its worth for me this year when I was rear ended. They had difficulty pinning him down and I showed them what I'd recorded, job done and case closed. A mate fitted one soon after and he was rear ended too. The driver accepted fault to the insurers but later foolishly changed his mind and said he hadn't been there after all. Mate showed insurer and Police the footage/data and now idiot is preparing to face prosecution by the insurers. Definitely worth the money and always something you know you should buy leave until it's too late and someone runs up your chuf.

#57 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Got my X6000 just behind the windscreen mirror, slightly to the left. It sticks out slightly but has to for the second inward facing camera. I find with it there it captures what's going on through the windscreen, inside the car, back window and a few bits through the driver side windows too. Size wise the main body of the camera is a bit like a slightly fatter pack of polo mints, the screen is perhaps 2.5'ish cm diagonal and can be turned off. It's not distracting and gives irritating passengers the chance to admire themselves on long journeys.

There are smaller and better built but they're much of a muchness. Mostly Russian audience targeted cheap Chinese manufacture but chose the right one and it's a discreet neatly packaged little insurance policy and peace of mind. I don't want people hitting me but I'm not half as bothered about other people's stupid driving any more.

Word to the wise though, it logs everything including bad habits and your speed. I passed a Police speed check and wondered for a mo wh was watching who. Either way, at the time that was the smallest I could find that was cheap, reliable, had all the logging, GPS and shock features and dual lenses. The GPs ones have got some cool handy features like positioning with a Google Maps overlay so you can watch the footage and see the data inc g/shock, speed etc but also exactly where you are on the map as you tootle along.

It's already proven its worth for me this year when I was rear ended. They had difficulty pinning him down and I showed them what I'd recorded, job done and case closed. A mate fitted one soon after and he was rear ended too. The driver accepted fault to the insurers but later foolishly changed his mind and said he hadn't been there after all. Mate showed insurer and Police the footage/data and now idiot is preparing to face prosecution by the insurers. Definitely worth the money and always something you know you should buy leave until it's too late and someone runs up your chuf.

Haha, must be good then.

Just had a look at this on ebay and it does look like a nice little piece of kit - software side of it looks good too, better than my ones anyway.

Maybe you should look into this one Stef?

#58 Wayneo01

Wayneo01

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 tdci titanium

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

#59 2011fiesta

2011fiesta

Geordie Fordie

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYm9vCPLoG4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow, that is just horrifying. I'm quite speechless. What a complete physco.

#60 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,291 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

ok so i got my camera and memory card today, X4000 and 32GB class 6 micro sd..

first thoughts are, it looks and feels pretty good, compact - just what i need really.

IR lights are very good and should have enough range for my needs.

just getting used to the controls and how to work it but it does appear to be very good.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users