Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrade To Sony Head Unit.

its_paton@hotmail.com

Hi all,

I've just bought a 58 plate 1.8TDCI zetec and I am hoping to upgrade to the Sony stereo from the titanium models (i think) as the original ford unit is quite worn looking. I've seen quite a few on eBay but just had a few questions before I go for it.

Has anyone done this mod and are there any problems with it? What adapters if any will I need? I know I'd need them for an aftermarket unit but these are fitted by ford so I'm not sure if it'll be the same deal.

Thanks

Dave

If it's an original ford radio then no adaptors are required.

One quadlock connector and one aerial connector.

Has anyone done this mod and are there any problems with it?

Hi Dave,

I would recommend that you try and get a Sony Head Unit from a Focus in order to make sure it all works and sound OK. From memory the same unit from a Mondeo has different audio parameters built in to suit the speaker setup in that model.

As you've said there are lots on eBay so it's not always clear where they've come from - also make sure they have the radio code as you'll have to pay to get it from Ford (or for a lesser fee from eBay)

Earlier this year I replaced the single CD / MP3 Sony unit that came in my 08 Titanium with a DAB version from an 09 Focus and all went well.

Do you homework before buying and also contact breakers via eBay who have Titanium's in stock.

Stu

Thanks guys,

Will the DAB work if I didn't have DAB before? I had a look online and saw a few how to's that suggested id need another arial and I wasn't keen on going that far. I was looking more for a plug and go install to quickly tidy up the dash.

If you do make the change to the Sony head unit from the Titanium, it would also be worth replacing the Speakers as the Titanium has 6 premium Speakers over the standard 4 Speakers in most of the Zetecs.

Thanks guys,

Will the DAB work if I didn't have DAB before? I had a look online and saw a few how to's that suggested id need another arial and I wasn't keen on going that far. I was looking more for a plug and go install to quickly tidy up the dash.

you will definately have to replace the aerial witha DAB one for it to work properly - this will give you more radio channels. its not hard to do and took me approx an hour from start to finish.

Thanks guys,

Hi, If you opt for a DAB enabled Sony unit (and wish to use the DAB part) you will require a new aerial mast, base and a two part loom - which is the best part of £100 (i have part numbers for any interested). It's not a bad job to do, but does require removal of quite a few parts to route the cable properly (which is easy when you know how ;) )

If you go for a standard single CD version it's a 10 minute job to change over and will work fine.

If you have any question post here and we'll keep you right

Stu

I have the DAB radio with code for sale from my 09 titanium if you want to make me an offer for it perfect working order just upgraded to a sat nav one .

You do NOT need to change the aerial system. I bought a DAB/FM splitter and fitted that with the Sony DAB unit and it works brilliantly everywhere I have been.

You do NOT need to change the aerial system. I bought a DAB/FM splitter and fitted that with the Sony DAB unit and it works brilliantly everywhere I have been.

That may be good news for the OP - I can't comment on that route but found the OEM install to be pretty simple and works exceptionally well for DAB (if a little pricey...). I live and work in Cumbria / Scottish borders and apart from the occasional drop out when driving through valleys it has been great for over 6 months.

Perhaps you could let us know which FM/DAB splitter you used?

That may be good news for the OP - I can't comment on that route but found the OEM install to be pretty simple and works exceptionally well for DAB (if a little pricey...). I live and work in Cumbria / Scottish borders and apart from the occasional drop out when driving through valleys it has been great for over 6 months.

Perhaps you could let us know which FM/DAB splitter you used?

This one.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got a sony stereo that would fit my 58 plate Style?

• 6 months later...

i am looking at getting a dab head unit, but i am put off with changing aerial cables and leads, so does this splitter product actually work properly or will i need the full re-wiring and aerial

Funky like i posted above i have my old dab radio out of my 09 titanium complere with code any one want to make an offer on it feel welcome just pm me

i am looking at getting a dab head unit, but i am put off with changing aerial cables and leads, so does this splitter product actually work properly or will i need the full re-wiring and aerial

Yes it works mate. It' still working fine now. Trust me I was sceptical, but I wired her all up, and voila, all working. I've used it up and down the country and no issues. Obviously some DAB coverage in areas isn't as good as others, but this is always improving.

You also need a few male to female aerial connections.

Yes it works mate. It' still working fine now. Trust me I was sceptical, but I wired her all up, and voila, all working. I've used it up and down the country and no issues. Obviously some DAB coverage in areas isn't as good as others, but this is always improving.

You also need a few male to female aerial connections.

How many male to female connectors will i need, plus again thanks for the reply regarding this dab splitter.

Do you mean these connectors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-F-type-Female-Plug-to-Coax-RF-Aerial-Plug-1x-Male-1x-Female-Adapter-Connector-/170975159923?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item27cee9e673

How many male to female connectors will i need, plus again thanks for the reply regarding this dab splitter.

Do you mean these connectors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-F-type-Female-Plug-to-Coax-RF-Aerial-Plug-1x-Male-1x-Female-Adapter-Connector-/170975159923?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item27cee9e673

No, something like these: Link

And one of these: Link

Don't quote me exactly, but I think it is those two with the type of DAB/FM converter I have got.

I have purchased both those parts, connected it all up, I get fm but no Dab, is there anything else that I can do

Dan I would look for someone breaking a titanium and go get the Aries and associated bits must all be in the head lining by the Ariel wouldn't think they would charge that much

I'm quite new to the Focus scene and I'm looking to put (hopefully) a DAB + Sat Nav model in my 55 plate Ghia, where have you guys got them from?

Also, there are speaker blanks in the doors, is the wiring normally there for additional Speakers?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club