Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With Sony Dab Radio In 2012 Focus Titanium

DRH

Hello,

Anyone had similar issue?

There a strange fault on the Sony DAB radio.

When I tune to Mux 11D (National DAB Mux) I intermittently get two different lists of radio stations.

More often than not I get:

Talksport

Test B

Jazz FM

Absolute

Classic

Planet Rock

BFBS

Smooth 70

Absolute 90

Absolute 80

UCB Christian

Test A

Premier Christian

Other times I get:

Talksport

Test B

Jazz FM

Absolute

Classic

Planet Rock

BFBS

Smooth 70

Absolute 90

Absolute 80

UCB Christian

Smooth UK

Test A

Is this a fault on the radio and should I take it back or is there something else going on. Is there a setting that is not documented?

I have tried another DAB radio (Pure Highway) in the car and I get the following on 11D.

Talksport

Test B

Jazz FM

Absolute

Classic

Planet Rock

BFBS

Smooth 70

Absolute 90

Absolute 80

UCB Christian

Smooth UK

Test A

Premier Christian

I only noticed this problem because I like listening to Simon Bates on Smooth UK.

The radio functions perfectly otherwise. I think there may be a firmware issue, anyone know who to raise this with at Ford?

You may be picking up data from two different transmitters with different channel settings.

Do you find that it happens when you move a couple of miles in opposite directions?

Thanks for the reply.

No it happens while I am standing still. If I tune between different mux's and then go back to 11D sometimes Smooth UK is there and other times it is not. As I said previously I also have a Pure Highway and that has no trouble picking up Smooth UK on 11D.

Is there anyone out there who has the same radio fitted that can try and see if they gat the same effect as me. I am sure it is not a hardware issue more of a firmware bug.

Are there any proper instructions anywhere for the Sony DAB radio installed in the latest Fords. It doesn't even say what model number is on the front panel. There are basic instructions in the manual you get with the car but I would like to know things like how you do a factory reset for example, and if you can get a signal strength display on DAB and other such things. I also read elsewhere that you can read the radio serial number by pressing certain keys. Where is all this information stored?

• 3 months later...

Well, a few weeks before Xmas I was able to recieve Smooth UK. I think this was was because Test A and Test B were removed and Smooth Xmas was added. It looks like the Ford Sony DAB Radio has a limit of 13 stations on any one MUX. Prior to Smooth Xmas coming on air there were 14 stations on MUX 11D. The current list is as below. God only knows what will happen when Smooth Xmas is taken off the air!!

Talksport

Smooth Xmas

Jazz FM

Absolute

Classic

Planet Rock

BFBS

Smooth 70

Abolute 90

Absolute 80

UCB Christian

Smooth UK

Premier Christian

I still swear by Absolute 80's via my iPod and a MiFi signal.

Just upgraded my MiFi to 4G (when it finally comes to the South West)

• 2 months later...

just bought a focus titanium mk3 and i'm also looking for a manual for the sony dab radio. i'd like to know how to get more stations and perhaps facreset it too.

am looking for the definite on whether these come with security codes(have posted in other threads on this site and get varying answers).

any ideas on a manual?

The radios in the MK3 are coded to the cars but don't have the need to input a code if disconnected from a power supply.

If you want to swap a ford radio on a MK3 for one off another MK3 it needs coding to the system with IDS.

thanks stoney! i think i'll give up chasing this question now. cheers!

DRH, i too have found this issue with channels missing and new ones appearing. Thankfully the ones that go missing i do not listen to so i've not been bothered by it.