DieselPig

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2011

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Nothing wrong with a good blow out, my TDCi gets a good blast on the motorway occasionaly and I did the same to my Mondeo. That blew the soot out a treat!! :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 MikePaine

MikePaine

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

S1600 has a longer ration in first. Hence the slightly improved 0-60 time. And the shift Eco light is operated instead as a redline light. Comes on about 6.5k rpm I think. I'll try and do a pic tomorrow

#18 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600
  • Year: 2012

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

S1600 has a longer ration in first. Hence the slightly improved 0-60 time. And the shift Eco light is operated instead as a redline light. Comes on about 6.5k rpm I think. I'll try and do a pic tomorrow

Cheers! I thought as much, need for speed style :lol:

#19 MikePaine

MikePaine

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta S1600

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Need for speed style would surely mean I have 16 gears and never have ill throttle down until I was just about to lose a race. THEN. Use full throttle. Them films baffle, yet still amaze me. New one next year!

#20 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,516 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

Nothing wrong with giving a diesel a booting; I give mine a good going over quite often, if the car wasn't supposed to red line, then Ford would have lowered the maximum revs.

#21 Bower

Bower

Bower

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi everyone. I did not want to create another thread because I am pretty sure it was discussed before, I just couldn't find it among other 9000 topics on this forum.

Soo, my question is, from your experience, how many miles have you done with your new fiesta before you started revving it 5k+ rpm?

I think in English it is called 'breaking-in' the new car ( sounds rather weird to me)

In one guide I found that the general rule would be that one shouldn't exceed 3000 rpm during the first 1000 miles?

Did you do more or less?

Thanks in advance.

#22 Bower

Bower

Bower

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi everyone. I did not want to create another thread because I am pretty sure it was discussed before, I just couldn't find it among other 9000 topics on this forum.

Soo, my question is, from your experience, how many miles have you done with your new fiesta before you started revving it 5k+ rpm?

I think in English it is called 'breaking-in' the new car ( sounds rather weird to me)

In one guide I found that the general rule would be that one shouldn't exceed 3000 rpm during the first 1000 miles?

Did you do more or less?

Thanks in advance.

#23 DieselPig

DieselPig

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.6 TDCi

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

The handbook for the Fiesta says do not drive to fast for the first x miles, what!

Best way to run-in an engine is by driving it as normal. Don't !Removed! foot around with limiting revs, but don't take it into the red for the first 1000 miles.

Modern engines use synthetic oils that provide superb lubricating qualities, the purpose of the running in procedure is to bed the moving parts in through heat cycling and friction. If you drive too conservatively the engine will just drink oil as it is not being run in.

Change the oil after 3000 miles then just normal service routine. I did this with my Mondeo and it used 0.5 litre of oil up to its first service at 12500 miles and nothing after that till I sold it with 280K miles on the clock

#24 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,516 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I gave mine a booting at 54 miles. Oops?

#25 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Metal

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

As others have said it's fine and it good to see you enjoying the engines potential everynow and then. I really do love the second gear overtake in the 1.6 petrol. When I'm stuck behind a slow driver on a county lane I usally drop from 5th to second at 40 mph and floor it! Make a great sound and really shifts the car fowards but as you say the gearing means you have to grab third quickly to avoid having the power cut.

I agree it does make a great noise when you drop into second and put your foot down and it really demonstrates why Ford quote this engine's max power output of 118bhp. The engine is transformed from being super smooth and well mannered to being an absolute animal!

#26 CJ989

CJ989

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta S1600

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Newer engines don't tend to bounce off the rev limiter either, they just cut the power. On older cars they will bounce like you say and thats what causes the damage. I've hit the red line in my Fiesta and the power just dies until you change up a gear.

Talking about the green change up arrow mine doesn't come on until about 6000rpm may be because it's a sport engine. Anyone with a metal or S1600 experienced this?

Yea the green arrow comes on for me just before rev limiter, around 6500rpm, telling you when to grab the next gear, love it! I only discovered this the other week when overtaking something! Also i'm sure i've read the gear ratios are shorter in the S1600 to help acceleration, at 70MPH its pulls around 3300RPM i think.

#27 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Also i'm sure i've read the gear ratios are shorter in the S1600 to help acceleration, at 70MPH its pulls around 3300RPM i think.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't pay the extra £2k for the Metal/S1600 then if that's the case. My commute is 400 miles a week (mostly motorway) so I could imagine that the fuel economy wouldn't be that good in these cars. The 118 bhp model revs at 3000 when crusing at 70 mph which can return up to 48mpg if you keep a steady right foot. It's quiet, too.

#28 Marcr1

Marcr1

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Marc
  • Ford Model: S1600

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

On a long run the S1600 isn't much different, it all depends how you drive the car, from day to day city driving I average 33mpg. What do you get?

#29 ST11 MCC

ST11 MCC

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Name: stuart
  • Ford Model: s1600

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

On a long run the S1600 isn't much different, it all depends how you drive the car, from day to day city driving I average 33mpg. What do you get?

lols am sitting bout the 30 mark. but then again tend to drive with the heavy shoes on most of the time :huh: haha. had 38/39 but felt like was driving like a granny :D

#30 scotthunter

scotthunter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

That's pretty bad! I average mid 40's and rarely drop below 40.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users