Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redlining An Engine

scotthunter

Newer engines don't tend to bounce off the rev limiter either, they just cut the power. On older cars they will bounce like you say and thats what causes the damage. I've hit the red line in my Fiesta and the power just dies until you change up a gear.

Talking about the green change up arrow mine doesn't come on until about 6000rpm may be because it's a sport engine. Anyone with a metal or S1600 experienced this?

Yea the green arrow comes on for me just before rev limiter, around 6500rpm, telling you when to grab the next gear, love it! I only discovered this the other week when overtaking something! Also i'm sure i've read the gear ratios are shorter in the S1600 to help acceleration, at 70MPH its pulls around 3300RPM i think.

Also i'm sure i've read the gear ratios are shorter in the S1600 to help acceleration, at 70MPH its pulls around 3300RPM i think.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't pay the extra £2k for the Metal/S1600 then if that's the case. My commute is 400 miles a week (mostly motorway) so I could imagine that the fuel economy wouldn't be that good in these cars. The 118 bhp model revs at 3000 when crusing at 70 mph which can return up to 48mpg if you keep a steady right foot. It's quiet, too.

On a long run the S1600 isn't much different, it all depends how you drive the car, from day to day city driving I average 33mpg. What do you get?

On a long run the S1600 isn't much different, it all depends how you drive the car, from day to day city driving I average 33mpg. What do you get?

lols am sitting bout the 30 mark. but then again tend to drive with the heavy shoes on most of the time :huh: haha. had 38/39 but felt like was driving like a granny :D

That's pretty bad! I average mid 40's and rarely drop below 40.

I've had 68 before now, rarely now drop below 55 even booting it (did have a few weeks where I was on 40 but been sorted now after it went in over it :P)

Its largely dependant on speed and distance of your journeys.

I get 45mpg from mine, but I mainly do short journeys.