Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

What do I need to retrofit auto lights and wipers to my facelift 2008 ST?

Anyone done it? Do you have the finis codes?

I can't find a guide for it in the focus guides section or in Preees guides. Do you have a link?

• 9 months later...

Rising up and oldie. I'm doing some research on retrofitting auto lights, not bothered about auto wipers not that great. Did preee actually fit it because i cannot find the guide myself

Have a look at this topic. I haven't fitted mine yet. Event though i have all the parts, i never found the time to do it. I might give it a try this weekend.

• Like 1

I have a Ghia, so it has these as standard. I must say, although auto lights are nice, I would not miss them, but the auto wipers are great, whenever there was light or intermittent rain, I was always adjusting the intermittent wipers manualy on my previous cars, and still was not happy with the wipe interval, lt was always not right for the conditions. The auto wipers are not foolproof, but most of the time they adjust to the wipe speed/interval required perfectly, and I don't have to fret any more.

Phil.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies George and Phil. I had a good read of the forum, i will take a look and see if i have the loom, if not it will make my life a lot harder. Not sure about the sensors and what i will actually need. Is the sensor and mirror one unit or separate? will i need to purchase a new mirror? not clear from the post.

George or Phill if you get the time it would be really helpful if you could get some pics of the items you already have. I don't know what the auto wipers/light sensors and mirror look like compared to a car without so kind of going in blind when it comes to shopping. Ideally i'm only going after Auto lights, not fussed if i end up with auto wipers that would be a bonus

Id be interested in more info on this

etis tells me my car came with 'with auto headlamps' but 'less headlamp control' so im guessing i just need all the sensors and switch ?

I took a look at the car and i believe i have the needed wiring.

On the left is what i suspect to be the loom for the sensors on the windscreen, on the right is the loom for bluetooth mic

j5tk.jpg
Now only need a clear list of what parts to purchase i would be really greatful if anyone can show me a picture or a link of what the sensor unit actually look like or part number.
Is the unit for the automatic light and rain sensor one whole unit or two separate?
How is it attached to the windscreen?

auto headlamps does not refer to what you think it refers to the fact if you switch the ignition off and pull the main beam on the lights will light the way then auto off after 30 secs

auto headlamps does not refer to what you think it refers to the fact if you switch the ignition off and pull the main beam on the lights will light the way then auto off after 30 secs

That's follow me home lights mate and it isn't what i am after :P thank you though.

Just like to say the above picture is not the correct wire/connector for auto light or rain sensor

The rain sensor (positioned just below the mounting lug for the rear view mirror) is used by both Auto-Wipers and Auto-Lamps.
Pinout for the Rain Sensor Connector (located next to mirror mounting)
C526-1 Green/Black +12v to C98-11 (PJB) - this is ignition controlled via F100 (10A)
C526-3 White/Green Signal to C98-12 (PJB)
C526-2 Black/Green Ground to C98-4 (PJB)

The C98 connector is the small square one that plugs into the top L/H corner of the PJB (Passenger Junction Box) next to fuses F100, F101 and F102.
In the image of C98 below I've marked the relevant wires from the 3-pin rain sensor connector (C526) with a blue dot.

C98 Connector

Depending upon the original specification of your Focus you may need to replace the PJB as the Autolamps relay is an internal component and may not be fitted to all versions of the PJB.

H.T.H.

@George

The large grey plug on the supplementary Mondeo harness doesn't look right for a Focus Mk2.5 PJB; compare the number of pins from the image of C98 above to the Mondeo's plug - it has only two rows of pins (and is too long) rather than the three rows required by the Focus Mk2.5

Edited by Captain Haddock

nope on the ford etis its auto headlamps asked ford a long time ago it doesnt have any thing to do with auto headlights it means they switch off automatically when main beams put on follow me home lights come on automatically when exiting the car at night and stay on after the cars locked for 30 secs completely different setups

nope on the ford etis its auto headlamps asked ford a long time ago it doesnt have any thing to do with auto headlights

Thank you dude, i understand what you are saying now.

Here is my reply to the other thread if anyone may need help with this, in my many research i dug up two threads covering the same subject(Did not start a third :D) but this should fully end all questions about it for anyone fitting it!

Thank you very much :D i have been doing a lot of research all day and i have concluded all that is needed and this list is good. I don't know about the stalk for as i know the normal stalk for interval will adjust the sensitivity of the auto wipers.

The loom i won't need, nor do i think anyone else will either(Should already be there), the rest yes.

The above picture from my previous post is NOT the auto wipers/light loom that is incorrect.

This is the correct loom/connector for the auto wipers/light

r9g8.jpg
I am very confident that we all have the loom it took me a long time to find it because mine was wedged in a blob of glue behind some other loom under tape, it was very well hidden and hard to get out, took me some time with a flashlight cutting and pulling away the cable from the glue.
These two cables are directly in front of the lights under the bit of headliner between the windscreen and lights. Laid down flat in a blob of glue, it's worth having something sharp to peal away the tape and glue when checking for the loom.
The cables with the white connector is for the automatic dimming mirror and the cable with black connector is for the rain and light sensor. The cable with black connector shown in my previous photo is for alarm sensor that goes into the light on some ST/RS model
Now i am a 100% sure i have the needed looms and the parts required, will get the parts soon and update after the install

Rob, Thanks for the info. I'll have a look around today to see if i've got the loom hidden. I am sure that the parts i've got will still be compatible, even if have to get a new loom. correct?

Kurt, if i recall correctly, you will have to reprogram the car in order for the auto headlights to work.

Admins, could we merge those two topics? We will soon upload some more images from the installation.

• Like 1

Also remember there are a few different types of windscreen available for the focus MK2 and MK2.5 which also have different rain/light sensors.

The version of the rain/light sensor you need depends on the type of windscreen that is actually fitted in the car. If you fit the wrong type of sensor the auto lights and rain sensor will not work correctly.

As far as i know there is a sensor for normally tinted windscreens with and without heating and there is a different sensor for infrared coated windscreens with and without heating. The infrared windscreens can be recognised by the IR logo on the windscreens.

• Like 1

sounds like a lot of money and hassle for a set of lights that when my vw had i found to be more annoying than anything else and really do not miss the auto dim mirror ide like again that was very handy

Right, as i said i started the project this weekend together with the armrest.

My main issue was the bracket that was different than my current one. The version with the sensor, uses the (old?) round version while the non-sensor ones, use the slide-on bracket. Haz93 mentioned that you can convert it somehow. In the images, you can see my results. It it quite stable, and cutting it with a hacksaw was easier than i thought.

post-29590-0-79918300-1373790280_thumb.jpost-29590-0-01406600-1373790286_thumb.j

Regarding the sensor options, i saw that there are only two versions for cars between 12/2007 and 06/2011. One without windshield heat shielding and another one with. Here are their part numbers

MODULE - WINDSHIELD RAIN SENSOR, LESS WINDSHIELD HEAT SHIELDING WITH AUTOMATIC WINDSCREEN wiper (3S7T 17D547-AB / 1374370)

MODULE - WINDSHIELD RAIN SENSOR, WITH WINDSHIELD HEAT SHIELDING WITH AUTOMATIC WINDSCREEN wiper (5M5T 17D547-JRC / 1670798)

Updates: I just located the loom for the mirror and the sensor. I was really impressed to find it, as i didn't expect it would be there.

To find it, i removed the blinds from both sides, and there was a very long cable hidden somewhere, with two different ends, both of which had three pins. I cannot recall the colors. The cable was long enough to go all the way down to the mirror if pulled to full extend.

I connected the mirror and it works fine. I tested with a flashlight and it turns green. It needs a few seconds to do so, but the result is great. I just hope it will work during the night with my tinted rear windows. If not, i won't really care as it was a great mod that i enjoyed so far.

My issue was with the sensors however, since i couldn't make auto headlights work. I assume i will have to change the settings with the ELM config. The sensor i am trying to install is 3S7T 17D547-AA (instead of -AB), but the connectors are the same. Any info would be much appreciated.

I have not looked at the mirror yet so not even what the pics mean to me atm mate. I wasn't aware there was an option for heated and not heated. Not fussed about this tbh.

Arthur the mod is really simple and cheap, it may look like a lot of work but believe me it isn't. I don't believe that you HAVE to install the auto dimming mirror as they are separate however if you do it will look complete.

Updates: I just located the loom for the mirror and the sensor. I was really impressed to find it, as i didn't expect it would be there.

To find it, i removed the blinds from both sides, and there was a very long cable hidden somewhere, with two different ends, both of which had three pins. I cannot recall the colors. The cable was long enough to go all the way down to the mirror if pulled to full extend.

I connected the mirror and it works fine. I tested with a flashlight and it turns green. It needs a few seconds to do so, but the result is great. I just hope it will work during the night with my tinted rear windows. If not, i won't really care as it was a great mod that i enjoyed so far.

My issue was with the sensors however, since i couldn't make auto headlights work. I assume i will have to change the settings with the ELM config. The sensor i am trying to install is 3S7T 17D547-AA (instead of -AB), but the connectors are the same. Any info would be much appreciated.

Yes it needs to be activated with ELM or £70 job done at ford. What is the difference between AA and AB mate?

I too was surprised to have it too mate :- ) Hidden well

i don't think it's worth £70 to be honest. I'll probably follow Preee's guide. It works out much cheaper and you can then do more stuff while you are at it.

I haven't seen anyone saying that the -AA is also a lights sensor, so i am a bit worried that it might not fit. When i activate the sensor, if it still doesn't work, i'll know that i need a new sensor! :)

So far, this mod costed around £30 for all the parts including the mirror and sensors.

• Like 1

thats cheap i meant ive read some on here have ahd whole windscreens replaced just to have the auto light sensor im interested in the auto dim rear mirror but ill leave the auto lights ive got all 10 pins on the light loom so was going to fit the bi xenon lights till i saw the prices a cost i just cant justify to be honest

Oh dear, George i had a look too and it appears the AA only does rain from what i have read. Hopefully it does both mate because i am looking for to some inside and outside pics of it when from you! get them pics up bro!

A family member of mine has borrowed my laptop and never brought it back :- / possibly i will buy a netbook my car own personal tuning machine.

Arthur the whole windscreen is an option indeed and a good one too if you don't have heated windscreen and want to upgrade to auto wipers/light and heated screen all in one go. Do it dude the mirror is like £15 or less on eBay, all wiring already there and nothing to activate for that feature.

I am also considering the bi xenon lights myself. Biggest problem holding me back with it though is that i think it requires washer jets to be legal... not sure... anyways i haven't seen any mods on how to install washer jets and headlight auto leveling

im gonna do the mirror ive got the climate so heated windscreen anyway as for the bi xenon i dont think they came with washers on the ford as standard from what ive seen lets be honest everyone else is getting away with it with drls so what the heck