Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

I know there have been issues when people have had damaged windscreens replaced without the silicone spacer and had problems with the sensitivity of the sensors.

I believe the sensor needs the offset from the glass to ensure it detects rain properly.

• Like 1

Right i in that case i need to shop around for the silicone pad since it's a specific size

The only one from Ford I could find was listed for the 2011 onwards C-max (code 1720926 £30ish).

I have read on other car sites that a piece of clear sucker cup off an old satnav or phone holder cut to shape/size works ok.

• Like 1

Kurt, if i were you, i would avoid gluing the mirror. If you need to remove it for whichever reason, you will have huge issues and you might even break the windscreen.

If the cutting did not go well and you cannot alter it to fit, i would recommend to craft something that will slide into position. You can then cut away the remaining part of the mirror base and glue that to the crafted part.

Also, you do need something to hold the sensor in place. Captain Haddock has posted an image of his sensor where you can see how it attaches to the windscreen.

Unless the sensor is attached to the windscreen firmly and there is silicone between the two, you will never get optimal results.

• Like 1

Thank you gents very much for the info. I did see Captain Haddock photo and assumed i didn't need it. anyways i sourced a new mirror and sensor mount... comes with a sensor too argh...

George i did consider adapting the mirror mount with the standard mirror mount but because of my limited time to work on the car i didn't like the idea of being left without a rear view mirror for any amounts of time.

I will attempt to adapt the mirror for the second time again by cutting it....

How did you fix the mount to the windscreen? the metal plate

And clive i will give the suction cup a try before i purchase any silicone pad

I haven't glued the metal plate yet. In fact, i haven't finished the whole mod yet. I have tested that it works, but i still haven't been able to source the correct pins to connect the switch with the fusebox.

If anyone can show me the correct type of pins, it would be great. I know which ones i need, but i cannot find an exact match on eBay or RS-online.

Regarding the mirror mount, i think the old part will not fit easily, so i would create something from scratch rather than use the existing mirror.

• Like 1

Quick question for you George or anyone else who could answer tbh. Second time round purchasing a mirror, this time i got rather lucky, the mirror came with everything i actually needed.

Sensor + Silicone pad

Mirror with casings and clips

Bonus part: windscreen mount for the mirror

Awesome so i figured no need to adaptor the mirror this time round i only have to glue the mount to the windscreen but then i came across a minor fault! the sensor code is AA not AB like the first sensor i had, that i know works perfectly fine for lights and wipers.

I had a read of the post you've made on this George however it was done before you sorted out the cable needed.

So my question therefore is will be AA sensor work for lights and wipers? i would very much like to know before before i glue anything on because if needs be i can swap over the silicone pad it comes off easily enough but i'd rather not take it off and swap it at all!

Another question, any tips on how to remove the square time mirror mount on the windscreen? not sure yet if it's in the position needed for the round type mount.

This mod is taking an awfully long time for me getting it right is important plus i want it to look factory fitted and professional so no matter how long it takes i will get it done correctly

Hello Kurt,

I still cannot comment on the -AA or -AB issue. Apparently there is -AC as well. I only tested with an -AB sensor, and i still haven't found the pins needed... :S

Once you activate everything through ELM, you can easily check which one works. Just plug it in (with the engine on ON), and before you position it on the windscreen, cover it to simulate darkness. If the headlights come on, that means that the sensor will be OK to use.

The part of the sensor that attaches to the windscreen is interchangeable. You can easily open the housing using a coin or your keys. Just insert them to the side gaps and twist. If the -AA doesn't work, just put the cover with the silicone on the -AB.

I don't see why the -AA won't work. I compared the electronic parts inside both of them and they look identical. There are different revisions however, which makes me think that they might have different sensitivity levels, or configurations.

• Like 1

The Focus MK2/M2.5 rainsensor with part number 3S7T-17D547-AA is superseded by part number 3S7T-17D547-AB. Part number 3S7T-17D547-AB is superseded by part number 3S7T-17D547-AC.

All of these sensors are basically the same. Based on information from Ford Ecat these sensors are all interchangeable. Part number 3S7T-17D547-AC is the latest version and may have some improvements compared to the earlier part numbers. As far as i can see this sensor is for normal tinted and heated/non heated windscreens.

There is also another sensor for heat reflecting windscreens (these are very rare on a Focus MK2/MK2.5). This sensor has part number 5M5T-17D547-JRB, 5M5T-17D547-JRC or 5M5T-17D547-JRD.

• Like 1

Hello Kurt,

I still cannot comment on the -AA or -AB issue. Apparently there is -AC as well. I only tested with an -AB sensor, and i still haven't found the pins needed... :S

Once you activate everything through ELM, you can easily check which one works. Just plug it in (with the engine on ON), and before you position it on the windscreen, cover it to simulate darkness. If the headlights come on, that means that the sensor will be OK to use.

The part of the sensor that attaches to the windscreen is interchangeable. You can easily open the housing using a coin or your keys. Just insert them to the side gaps and twist. If the -AA doesn't work, just put the cover with the silicone on the -AB.

I don't see why the -AA won't work. I compared the electronic parts inside both of them and they look identical. There are different revisions however, which makes me think that they might have different sensitivity levels, or configurations.

Excellent reply thanks for the wise words. I will check it and report back, i hope to complete this mod by tomorrow. If lights do not work swapping over the sensor internals it is then, i wasn't aware that was possible.

On the windscreen mount for the mirror that i have, it comes with glass on it lol... i assume the windscreen was destroyed in the removal process, so i've scrapped that idea and i will glue the round type mount directly onto the square type mount, problem self however the downside will be a gap between the cover and windscreen of around 3-4mm, once i have perfected this part i plan to apply a small layer of black (or maybe clear depending on what looks better) silicone all round filling and sealing the gap

A solution to your problem is to get a new connector block, generic ford ones should be fine a exact ford connector block from the dealers should be rather cheap too £3 maybe. From the inside of the connector block (the part that goes into the other connector) where the male pins are you can use a small flat head screw driver to press down the locking leader inside the connector block that will release the pin towards the back, once you have the pin out you can strip the cable pop it into the pin and crimp it together with a pair of pliers (If unable to get a solid crimp, solder it on) then push it back into the connector block.

If you don't already have any blank pins in any of the connectors available, buy the connector block from ford or eBay just the connector alone, this should have all the pins needed.

Ford might even sell the pins by it self although doubtful. There's two different sizes here, from my photo and your photo we can see you've already got the larger cable and in the lower pin, in this case the larger pin should fine.

Male pins http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Ford-Mini-Block-Electrical-Terminal-20-18-Gauge-Male-/400122635251?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d292ae3f3

Female pins http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-Ford-Mini-Block-Electrical-Terminal-20-18-Gauge-/400276804536?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d325b53b8

But check ford first because these aren't old parts we're talking about

Very cool post dude, i will install the AA sensor then and see how well it goes, i had a good enough go using AB so if AB is actually different performance wise i will swap them over once all fitted.

A quick search on eBay i came across this, isn't the correct connector but it has the right pins and you can see the colour coded cable (Red green) in there that's needed for your final part, it has male and female pins

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-AUTO-HEADLIGHT-MODULE-AND-WIRE-01-07-/251335110614?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a84bd6fd6

I need two different sizes of female connectors.

I'm pretty sure rs-online has something that can fit, but i am not very sure how to search for it.

I would like to avoid paying an extreme amount of money for two small part, or destroying a whole loom just to get one cable.

As far as i can tell, those two connector types are used in most wires that originate from the PJB, so it would be nice to have them for reference.

This is definitely the one, but i cannot find anyone selling it. 7116-4100-02.pdf

The housing of the other connector reads AMP 968705-1 but i'm not sure how to find a pin for it.

• Like 1

Best bet is to get info from ford mate, if i get the chance to i will pop in and gather some further info. Two female pins required one for the headlight switch connector and one for the PJB connector plus a male pin for this exact female pin shouldn't be hard to find

What do you need the male pin for? The male pins exist in all locations. In order to retrofit a wire within a loom, you only need female ones.

• Like 1

I don't need any i was speaking about what you may need if i get round to speaking to ford parts department like i did today

Oh ok. Did you find anything? Do they actually sell those things in Ford? I would imagine they only sell the wiring looms...

• Like 1

Oh ok. Did you find anything? Do they actually sell those things in Ford? I would imagine they only sell the wiring looms...

Not had the chance to enquire about it yet bud.

On the other hand though i have made great progress with this mod. Removed the square type windscreen mirror mount (I will do a guide on this because there is no clear info out there on how to get off the !Removed! thing without damaging the windscreen)

I refitted the new round type mount with a rear view mirror fitting kit from Halfords, Now i will attempt to mark out the position of the sensor and fit it. a bit gutted i don't have any tint because now would be ideal time for it to perfect this mod.

I will post some pictures once done

FTW i went back on my word of not removing the original mount because gluing the new mount to the old mount created an unsatisfactory gap of about 10mm between the windscreen and the sensor cover, that's not acceptable i cannot cover that with silicone

Right so here is what the mount button for the round type mirror looks like

qpp8.jpg

vkqr.jpg

and here is the crap i had to get off

0mvq.jpg

99hn.jpg

New mount fitted

nsxf.jpg

sensor fitted

It was so hard to get out all of the bubble since the silicone pad isn't new but i think this is good enough and should work fine, not tested it though, swapped over the internals of the sensor for AB using case for AA

b33t.jpg

Hooked up something that doesn't look very sexy although it serves a serious purpose of holding the sensor pressed onto the windscreen until the silicone glue goes off (Tomorrow)

0cl0.jpg

Once this is all dried i will fit mirror and casing... during my test fit it held very well but i could see it popping out over a pot hole so i will add a bit of glue to it for extra protection, i don't ever want to touch this thing again forget the tint it looks good as it is

Wow, nice work mate. How did you remove the square mirror mount? Did you just pull it away from the windscreen?

Also, did you test with the -AA sensor?

• Like 1

No i didn't test it yet, auto wipers and lights were not enabled at the time, i will do that later on when it's activated and see if the AA sensor works for lights.

Getting the mount off wasn't hard but it was stressful lol, i set the heater to max and blower to 1 and positioned it to windscreen, locked all windows and got my hair dryer, went at it for 10 whole mins the car was roasting and i was sweating like a christmas turkey. I tried to pry it off with a flat head screw driver and that wasn't going well so i got my mole grips out locked it round the mount and wiggled it left and right it popped off just like that, cleaned it with some turtle wax glass cleaner

I have successfully completed this mod, auto wipers, auto headlights and auto Dimming rear view mirror.

Overnight the silicone pad somehow squeezed out more of the bubbles and it now looks like this

63ak.jpg

almost bubble free

Auto wipers now work perfectly i tested it with a spray bottle filled with water, it comes on when spraying directly onto the sensor and it comes on also making a few wipes when spraying lightly at random areas of the windscreen where water drops are pulled over the sensor from the wind.

Not tested it yet in actual rain gotta wait and see... headlights are working fine, i can also confirm sensor AA works for both wipers and headlights.

Auto dimming mirror is also working. Whenever light is shined onto the mirror it dims... as the name suggest. In normal conditions it looks like a regular mirror... whenever light hits the mirror... for example a van behind, the mirror fades into a blue-ish light colored tint look, getting darker and darker depending on how much light it senses. Very cool.

Not a lot of pics today was too dark outside will get some tomorrow. I'm not 100% satisfied with the finished look from outside of the windscreen, although there is nothing wrong with it, you can clearly see inside of the mirror cover where the cables are hidden...

Further down the line i will do something about this. The other issue are the cables leading under the liner, is there some sort of plastic covers for this? like i've seen on other vehicles? if not i will have to make something to cover the small bit of cable

yerx.jpg

Other than these very small fussy niggles of mine, it's job complete

Well done mate and congratulations. I hope you enjoy this mod!

By the way, which glue did you use for the sensor holder?

• Like 1

To cover the cable you can get something like this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-wire-wiring-cover-for-auto-dim-dimming-compass-temperature-rear-view-mirror-/300659139831?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4600ae64f7&vxp=mtr

Another option is some 16mm x 8mm D-Line conduit from B&Q, there are also various ends and bends available.

AFAIK they do black in store but for some reason not online.

• Like 1

Well done mate and congratulations. I hope you enjoy this mod!

By the way, which glue did you use for the sensor holder?

Thank you bro, it was all worth the trouble my mirror feels solid, i can twists and turn with no probs.

I used sanitary silicone from screwfix. I used this stuff a lot with my work so i have have couple tubes laying about

Get it at screwfix for £1.99 other online retailer will sell it for £1 different name same stuff.

No Nonsense Sanitary Silicone Clear. Black would have been better but it's what i had, black is the same price. One small tip though some retailers have silicone that is transparent, this is different from clear it's cloudy looking and has a thicker texture, avoid this. Sanitary silicone is waterproof and heat resistant so no need to worry about a hot summer or a cold winter causing the sensor to come loose.

8yci.jpg

(If you don't have a sealant gun don't bother buying one, a large screwdriver will do the job squeezing it out)

Use a very small amount like this, too much and it will spread over the sides or even worse onto the silicone pad distorting the sensor view

tkin.jpg

To cover the cable you can get something like this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONG-wire-wiring-cover-for-auto-dim-dimming-compass-temperature-rear-view-mirror-/300659139831?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4600ae64f7&vxp=mtr

Another option is some 16mm x 8mm D-Line conduit from B&Q, there are also various ends and bends available.

AFAIK they do black in store but for some reason not online.

Clive thanks for this bro it's exactly what i need, i popped into my local B&Q and they only had white, brown and a silver, next option will be to check out my other B&Q stores nearby, and eBay order will take too long i need it now :D

Once again thanks for the much needed help my good man

Well done :)

Apart from the power fold mirrors this is the best mod I did even tho it cost me £400 to complete lol

• Like 1