Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

Ugh...to be honest, I'd like to avoid that...God knows what would they ask for it, and perhaps the prize difference between breakers' and aftermarket one (Pilkington, NordGlass, etc.) wouldn't be that big, and I would be getting a brand new glass, instead of maybe cheaper glass, but in who knows what condition...no no, this is now my last resort, I'll glue the mirror to the windscreen with a strong double sided tape, which I have left from hanging coat hanger at home, and it'll hold until I decide what to do with it...and after some money comes in, I'll maybe get it changed completely.

Back to the GEM issue...I just want to be sure here, so it is possible to change GEM from facelifted Mk2.5 (2008,9,10) to my pre-facelift Mk2 (2005)? I found some online, so I want to be sure I won't buy it and it won't work...

∆∆∆ is correct for your year ∆∆∆

Yea yea, it's already saved in my watch list :D ... I guess there's no difference between petrol/diesel one?

Noticed on your pictures you posted up of your GEM module, looks like that black plug on the upper left, looms like you have the wiring and not the pins(the 2 missing ones) on the GEM, these are needed for the rain sensor and the auto headlights.

So the link I posted up and is the one your watching may well be the one that you need, as it has all the pins populated for that connector.

And no different between Petrol and Diesel, as the GEM in mine came from a 1.8 TDCi, just got save all your current GEM setting all 3pages and upload\write to your new GEM.

Yeah, that's exactly my situation...for some reason the wiring is completely there, however the pins under the connector are missing...I thought they are there, but then I realised that in scheme it's displayed upside down, so the needed pin 12 (I think) was actually pin 14...so...imagine my "pleasant" surprise when I found that out... :/

Ok, so I'll be buying that one I guess, hopefully config would go without any trouble...and then I only need to figure out what to do with the rear view mirror...

Thanks again guys for help, much appreciated! ;)

//EDIT: bought it! :)

Kl, elm config should do the swap over easy

Let's us know if everything goes okay.

I'll keep you posted...in the meantime I have to figure out what the hell Ford uses to glue that stupid mirror on the windscreen, the tape didn't do the job very well so far, in the heat we had here today (34 - 36°C) the mirror simply fell off...I'm leaving it glued again overnight, but this time just the bracket, without the mirror and I'll attach the mirror later tomorrow...and this is just the original non dim mirror, which is much lighter than the auto dim one...

//EDIT: there seem to be some sort of adhesive they use/sell at Ford:

http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=1324682&s_id_model=12&s_code_image=G022604103

I guess I'll jump over there on Monday to ask about it...I don't believe you have to get a new windscreen simply when your mirror falls off...

That's similar, if not the same that guys at screen repair service used. It did not work. Because of the bumps on the bracket it couldn't stick properly to the glass...I need something that creates some sort of thin layer of film - something rubber-ish. Even the original bracket had some layer of this kind of adhesive on itself...I'm gonna try a different screen repair centre on Monday, I'll see what they got...

curious how your getting on with this, i installed the auto lights switch months ago and just snapped up the mirror and sensor for 15 quid of the bay. im almost positive i dont have the wires for this so will have to plum the whole thing in from scratch then find a "chip" thats too big to be repaired.

When they replace the window does it not come with a bracket to mount it on already attached. when i replaced my last window which had the standard slide on mirror im sure it came with the bracket already on, at the very least i know the guy didnt remove the old one...

my windscreen came with the mount for the mirror. i wish i saw this thread a month ago as i just replaced my windscreen recently.. could have got them to replace it with the one to accomodate the sensor :(

Oh, sorry, I've been swamped at work, I forgot to mention...new mirror is finally in place, I went to another windscreen repair service and guys there were very capable of handling the situation, they took the bracket, sanded it flat, cleaned the bracket & the window and glued the whole mirror to the screen with some kind of super-mega-awesome-strenght adhesive, so it holds as hell on it's place! :)

There have been some really hot days here since then and the mirror didn't move a bit! So I'm very very satisfied with the job, and best of all, it cost me only €5 alltogether! :D

So now I'm waiting for my new GEM module to arrive, it should be here sometime next week, then just swipe it with the current one and I'm ready to go! :) My wiring is for some reason there, only the GEM module doesn't have the correct pins installed, so I only need to change that.

I'm not changing the windscreen, I just decided to cover the sensor area with a tint and at first sight it looks just the same as the original. Will post some pics when it's all done with GEM, so far I'm only using my aftermarket sensor and it doesn't look that good yet :)

Only one thing would be left to do on the car for now, and that's swiping the centre grille on my CC front bumper with the chrome one, which seems like a hell of a job, since I probably need to take my bumper off the car first...but that's something for another topic :)

So am I right in thinking that the facelift version might have the correct GEM but lack the physical wires up to the mirror?

So I could slap in some female pins, run a few wires up and bobs your uncle

IF that's the case then the only thing I need to consider is the gel pad, 30 quid seems awfully expensive for a slice of silicone, there must be other sources or alternatives or would the window repair guy bring along one of the pads?

Darren take a look here, at my post:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36684-retrofit-auto-lights-and-wipers/page-8#entry515924

you'll see a sqaure connector (C98 I believe), which handles the communication between sensor and GEM. Ideally, this needs to be all filled up with pins. If it is, then you really just need female counterparts as you said and then you can connect the sensor. On your Mk2.5, the connector is on top left corner of the GEM, take a look there. You need to have pins 4, 11 and 12 present on the GEM, otherwise you can't connect the sensor. Pins are numbered, get a flashlight and you'll see the numbers.

As far as the silicone pad goes, I'm not entirely sure it is that much needed, as I currently use an aftermarket sensor which doesn't have any silicone pad and it works very well. But it's definitely something to test first, I can't guarantee the results with Ford's sensor without the pad...I was looking for it on eBay though and maybe it would be easier to get a pad for a different car and just use that...I doubt there's any difference in the pad itself, only its dimensions could be different...

• Like 1

my GEM unit doesnt have all the pins populated, is that normal for a MK2.5 focus, i thought i read that the mk2.5 was a 1 part for all job? or is it because mine is a 2008, and just not quite caught up yet.

another interesting is that the connector that goes in that socket actually has cables on the pins listed above but i am 100% sure i dont have the cable above the liner. Starting to look like ill need a new GEM?

On the late Focus MK2 and all MK2.5 versions ford did use even more different types of GEM module. Which version is installed into the car depends on the options of the car. A car with a lot of options requires a higher spec GEM module than a car with fewer options.

However as a replacement part Ford offers just one type of GEM module fuse box. This is the highest spec version which supports all possible options.

Darren, if you look again on the post 110 two pages back, you'll see that on my pics there are also cables at the pins that are not on the GEM. But the cables are there anyway. For example, bottom left, it's one of the wires for the sensor, it goes all the way up to the roof. It can't end anywhere else, so just take a good look. I couldn't find it at first too, and boy there was a lots of swearing and bruises on my hands when trying to get to the wires :D. Though, to be honest, I did pull them different direction :D

When you take apart your roof lights, you'll see the wires that are used for the roof lighting and alarm system if you have one. just try to go with that wire as far as you can, it should divide twice, once for the central locking system sensor/controller and second time for the rain/light sensor & autodim. mirror. Those wired are in nice rubber-ish wrap, so they're not visible when routed through the roof to the sensor cover.

Oh and yes, you probably need a new GEM :( ... show us a picture of yours if you can, just to be sure ;)

WP_20150909_13_48_09_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150909_13_46_33_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150909_13_46_08_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150909_13_45_59_Pro__highres.jpg

So on reflection, I believe I have the pins and the wires although ill be damned if I can find them up the top, unless of course I'm looking at it all wrong, connectors and all.

However, there are 6 wires coming from the mirror, anyone know which pins the 3 wires from the dimming mirror go to?

Well, it looks like you're in luck! It all seems to be correct on the GEM, all the pins needed are there, all the wires on the connector are there, so now you only need to find them under the roof lining and there you go! :)

This is what you're looking for:

post-58295-0-41736900-1441810612_thumb.j

//EDIT: white is for the mirror, black is for the rain/light sensor

...and trust me, it's there :) ...it has to be, they didn't just decided to cut it after the next turn of the wire :D ...really just take apart the roof lighting and move around your hand around the wire that comes to the roof lights, you'll find one turn for the locking system and another for the sensor. It might be glued a bit to the lining, so it'll need a slight pull, but be careful, the locking system sensor is glued too, so don't pull that out! :D

Ok, sooo...as promised, here's the update on my case.

Last Thursday I got a new GEM module, so having a day off today and tomorrow, I decided to go for it and install it. I saved my config from my original GEM and loaded it into the new one without any trouble, so I went on with setting up the sensor installation. I measured some black tint and cut it acording to the shape of the sensor cover, put in on the windscreen, put on the sensor and finally the cover. I did a quick test with covering the sensor for the lights and spraying some water on the windsreen and all worked! Here are some pics of the installation:

You can barely see that it's not OEM installation from the front of the car:

post-58295-0-71973900-1442259361_thumb.j

Closer look reveals that it's a tint, I tried this once before on an aftermarket sensor, it needs to "sit" a bit on the screen, few sunny days will help that :)

post-58295-0-95362900-1442259296_thumb.j

And an inside view, looks pretty OEM(-ish), I think :)

post-58295-0-90384400-1442259295_thumb.j

Few issues I came across: after switching GEMs I wasn't able to set unlocking to just the driver's door with boot only, it always unlocks the whole car. Not a deal breaker, but I'm used to pressing the remote twice...I wasn't able to set this through ELM config, I have to try the remote-setup way tomorrow.

Other thing I noticed, I had footwell lighting on my previous GEM, and though I didn't use it, I was planning to install bulbs there and use it...new GEM doesn't have the positive pin on it (though it has negative on)...but I can still use wire from roof lights if I need to...I don't know if I'll use it anyway...

I didn't notice anything else so far...I have to do a GEM test procedure tomorrow, but the basics of the car's features seems to be working pretty well :)

As usually, if you have any questions, feel free to message me, or write here ;)