Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll try to figure out something with the windscreen next year, I believe by the end of the year my insurance will be renewed, so I'll try to get my windscreen covered as well. And then, during the summer, I'll probably get it replaced. I ruled out replacement brands, so this is the easiest way to get Ford OEM glass...(and yeah, I know that replacements are probably the same quality as Ford's, but I want it to have it Ford's logo on it, so it won't raise any questions or doubts when selling the car, for example...)

In the meantime I have to figure out the locking/unlocking thing that's left after changing the GEMs and maaaaayyyybeee the footwell lights, like I mentioned in previous post. And, also changing the front centre grille on the CC bumper, but that's a whole different story. :)

Well, I found the missing connectors! Ford tapped them up right long the centre by the rear dome light!

I had assumed that was the cables for the lights but as it turns out it wasn't, hands are utterly shredded trying to get them out!

anywho, after a quick test I can get the rain sensors working, by the lights might be more troublesome,

With the option for auto lights turned off the Auto setting turns on the side lights, with the option turned on it doesn't appear to work, I am not overly sure I've found the correct ELM settings though, if anyone has any screen grabs it would be useful.

So, close but no cigar, I think at this point ill just get the window replaced when I get the chance and sort the lights later.

Oh one other thing, whilst digging around I found another connector on the roof, a red one, taped up above the drivers seat, anyone know what that's for, its not the ones that sit at the dome lightm I have those as well

Good job finding the connectors! Told you they'll be there! :)

If your wipers are working in "AUTO" mode, then the lights should be as well. All revisions of the sensor support both functions. When it's all configured well, then with the light switch in "AUTO" position, when it's light outside, no lights are on*, then when it gets darker, sensor turns on lights on whole car, that means parking, low beam, back and interior lights (illumination).

Here are some screenshots from various software that can be used to turn the sensor function on/off (I tried all of them, all working):

post-58295-0-74131400-1442424217_thumb.ppost-58295-0-00120800-1442424218_thumb.ppost-58295-0-23969100-1442424218_thumb.p

The unknown connector might be airbag? It would help to see it, and perhaps it's location - now it's just my guess based on imagination...it could be also wire for intrusion sensors (alarm system), if you currently don't have it installed.

* addition:

1. if you have "external" DRLs, which you do, they are the ones that are on. And turn off with turning on parking lights, as they should be doing now.

2. you can also use Ford's own DRL system, mainly used in Scandinavian countries I believe, not sure about legality of these in UK/elsewhere. Basically this means that low beams are on at approx. 80-85% and that's it. Nothing else is on. I can provide details on how to get them running if wanted. It can all be done with few fuses, relay and one resistor wire. Though I believe it's already written either here, on in other similar topic here on forums.

Cheers for that, yeah, you were right, I traced the green wires up the pillar over to the dome light then back to the rear, couldn't reach far enough back so popped the rear dome light off an found them stuck down solid!

I had the right options checked but it was all Hanging from the roof and I was in a hurry so perhaps it wasn't sitting right.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the red plug another day, it was firmly glued to the liner right above the drivers seat, initially I thought it was one of the ones for the sensor but the plug an wires were all wrong, love these surprises, every plug not In its a hole is a potential mod waiting to happen!

Now for the expensive bit, I've got several chips and picked up a large one the other day, along with a wiper scratch across it the window, so it is past its best but the excess is still fairly steep :/

Something I have noticed tho is my dashcam might have problems being mounted to the window with this new mirror, shall have to see what can be done.

Thanks again, much appreciated

You're very welcome ;)

About the dash cam, I would have to see that, but I belive you should be able to mount it without any problems...and with the cover on the sensor, you are able to hide the wires going to it all nicely ;)

The best way to test the lights is simply grab the sensor with your hands while still hanging from the roof, cover it all up and you should see the lights turn on...then let it go and the lights should turn off again...with this sensor, there's nothing "between", so not just parking lights on, or something like that.

Oh, and maybe I would try it with your DRLs turning completely off when parking lights are on, not just dimming, if that's your case...I know that yours might be able to do it, as most of this type for Mk2.5 are...

• 3 months later...

can you buy the loom required as mine does not have the connector but the gem is correct to be used for the retrofit. thanks

I'm not sure about the loom itself, but I believe that experienced electrician shouldn't have problem with wiring it using unoriginal connectors.

In my experience, if you buy a second-hand sensor, it's a good chance that it comes with part of the wire already plugged into the sensor with the correct connector. Then all you need to do, is to extend the wires all the way to the GEM and then just "add" them to the current connector - that's the part when electrician comes in handy if you're not experienced enough to do so yourself :)

And you end up basically with the same thing as the original wiring. No need to wire it all again, it's a lot of wires and you don't need to change them, you just need to add few more.

• 8 months later...

well its been a long wait and after my window cracked in the heat I finally got around to getting the window replaced, auto lights and wipers now working.

cheers for all the pointers, another mod well done :)

• Like 1

Good to hear, my window unfortunately cracked as well, so I got it replaced too, about a month ago. It doesn't have the "Ford" badge on it, but it's heated, with sensor and the wider anti-sun thingy, so I'm pretty happy with it. Light and rain sensor is all working properly now!

• Like 1

National windows did mine, guy was great though I think I will need to take a look at the wiper motor under the scuttle panel as the drivers side is clunking when it hits the top of its stroke.

the window is great and like yourself its not ford but the chap was saying that there are only two companies that make those windows anyway so it is probably the same as ford branded ones!

The only niggle is my dashcam and where to put it, ive put it under the mirror for now although it sits quite far down the window so I might need to remove it for MOTs, it doesn't block the road but will probably be an issue for them

He didn't have a spare bit of silicone to give me but after a rummage around in the back of his van he found a complete sensor with silicone attached, connected up, job done!

WP_20160825_10_55_17_Pro.jpg

Nice job but I'm sure they will have problems with it on MOTs...they always find something... :( 

Somewhere I saw a (probably) russian website/eshop where they sell modified versions of the rearview mirrors even for the "sensor-mounted" type of mirror. They had a reverse cam input and even the DVR feature built in right into mirror and also the had the design which could hold the sensor cover on them! For the love of God I can't find it anywhere now! :wallbash: 

I was thinking of replacing the chinese stereo with the Sony OEM one and the rear cam on the mirror which can also hold the sensor cover would be perfect! Plus DVR is a nice bonus too I guess :)

turns out he had not put the heated wire in the correct place, dodged a bullet there, all tucked away where it should be.

I discovered that if I put the seat up to its highest position, you can hardly see the camera behind the mirror so I might try that :) I want to take it in for an early MOT anyway to get away from the Feb test I have just now and also to see what happens with the new headlights

ive seen those camera / mirrors before and I reckon it wouldn't be that hard to do it yourself with a wee Raspberry pie or something similar.....hmmmm that sounds like a new project :D

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

turns out he had not put the heated wire in the correct place, dodged a bullet there, all tucked away where it should be.

I discovered that if I put the seat up to its highest position, you can hardly see the camera behind the mirror so I might try that :) I want to take it in for an early MOT anyway to get away from the Feb test I have just now and also to see what happens with the new headlights

ive seen those camera / mirrors before and I reckon it wouldn't be that hard to do it yourself with a wee Raspberry pie or something similar.....hmmmm that sounds like a new project :D

The problem i think is finding cameras small enough which still produce HD... I did consider using usb webcams for the purpose (coupled with an RPI, or PC) but gave up on the idea due to the size of them.

Its doable, esp a single camera setup but the second camera is proving to be the tricky one, well, ill have a think about it, I need to fit this ST gauge pod first :)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, reopening this thread after a while again with one question about the auto-wipers. 

I have it all installed and working, wipers wipe, headlights turn on in the dark, etc...all working fine except one feature. I believe I read in the manual, that if I leave the wipers stalk in "auto" position and the screen is not wet - the wipers weren't working, after I restart the car (still with wipers on "auto"), there shouldn't be an initial wipe with the dry window. 

However, there is. Could this be that I replaced my GEM with the one from a 2004 C-Max? (realized this waaaay after I bought it, so no returns :( )... it should be compatible as far as the connections and fuses go, but maybe some internal programming is different? Of course, I loaded the settings from my original GEM to it.

How is this feature working on your cars? Mostly I'm curious about mk2 - maybe the mk2,5 had it different. Thanks for replies! ;)

with mine in the auto position, it does nothing until I start moving then gives it a wipe, not sure if that's planned or because the water on the window moved, its actually the only thing that bugs me with it, I wouldn't mind it doing a quick wipe to clear the water in the morning, but I guess it might not know the difference if its dry or not.

I wonder if its the sensor that decides that it needs to wipe rather than GEM, which sensor version do you have?

Thanks Darren for the response. I believe it should behave exactly as you say it does on yours. I have the "-AB" sensor. I'm not sure here either what actually decides, but I think it's the sensor when it's all already running - like, you're driving the car, it starts raining, you turn on the wipers and then it depends on how often the sensor detects the water on itself. But this part works fine with mine sensor too. Maybe sometimes it needs a hand, but overall, I'm satisfied with it. 

The part that I'm not satisfied with, is when I start the car with the wipers already on. Without the sensor, they should move and wipe the window. But with the sensor, they should detect if the water is on the window and move only if there is. This is also what happens on our company cars. 

And, also, one more thing. Previously, with my original, non-sensor GEM, I was able to turn on the "walking home" lights after I turned off the engine. By holding the full beam lights stalk for few secs. It beeped (I think) and for some time, the headlights (low beam) stayed on. Now, this feature seems to be missing. Once again, I suspect it's the new (C-Max) GEM. 

I have a chance to purchase another GEM - correct one, from Focus mk2, with maxed out options, for relatively cheap and I'm probably going to do so, but I wanted to make sure it may be the issue here. Even with the low prize, I still don't want to throw money away for something that I eventually wouldn't need...

• 1 year later...

does anyone know what the grey connector near the base of the left A pillar is for?

After taking off the pillar trim there was an unused multiplug connector there, (zetec climate 2008), having just fed through a new loom with rain sensor, interior diming mirror and ultrasonic alarm wiring plus lots more interior lights , I now have the corresponding plug that would plug straight in.

Interior lights work at expected and I had continuity on the loom for all the rain sensor and mirror wires between the GEM connector and at the mirror end.  My guess is its part of the alarm extras I mention above, but not sure if I connect what could get upset.....

any ideas please?

On 8/25/2016 at 12:27 PM, Dee_82 said:

well its been a long wait and after my window cracked in the heat I finally got around to getting the window replaced, auto lights and wipers now working.

cheers for all the pointers, another mod well done :)

After reading this thread from the start, I saw the pictures that you posted in the previous page and now I'm completely confused. Your C98 connector on the GEM/PJB has pins 11 and 12 missing, yet you still managed to get the rain sensor working?

I'm comparing your connector to the Ford Focus electrical schematics which were referenced in another members post. I also double checked this with the MY09 and MY10 C307 schematic.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36684-retrofit-auto-lights-and-wipers/?do=findComment&comment=274596

I'm curious if any member can shed some light on this issue since I also have a GEM/PJB (7M5T-14A073-CF) with missing pins 11 and 12.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, destineker said:

After reading this thread from the start, I saw the pictures that you posted in the previous page and now I'm completely confused. Your C98 connector on the GEM/PJB has pins 11 and 12 missing, yet you still managed to get the rain sensor working?

I'm comparing your connector to the Ford Focus electrical schematics which were referenced in another members post. I also double checked this with the MY09 and MY10 C307 schematic.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/36684-retrofit-auto-lights-and-wipers/?do=findComment&comment=274596

I'm curious if any member can shed some light on this issue since I also have a GEM/PJB (7M5T-14A073-CF) with missing pins 11 and 12.

nope, my pins are all connected, 4 11 and 12 all there and all connected up, 

the only ones that are not on GEM are the ones around the alarm and whatever 2 and 14 are for, possible the CC? the connector has all pins except 2 8 and 14, again, maybe CC related?

in any case, my sensors work fine :)

• 5 years later...

Hi everyone, I bought the light/rain sensor and the switch with the Auto position for my 2016 mk3.5 and I built the wiring that my car doesn't have, this to connect the sensor to the BCM.

I can't figure out which connector and which pins I should connect to.
1 wire goes to ground to the metal.
The remaining 2 I don't understand which connector and which pins of the BCM, can anyone help me?

Thanks!