Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Auto Lights And Wipers

clubber

No mate the DRL's are fully E marked and road legal in the UK, would not have installed them myself if it wasn't road legal. The e-mark and other info is printed on the lens of the DRL as they are with any other kind of lights.

Would love to have bi xenon but if it won't comply with the requirements of being legal it's a no go for me and it does indeed appears to be a hard mod...

E marked drls arent legal mate as has been discussed theyy are only legal if fitted with washers and auto levelling sensors all aftermarket drls as vosa will tell you are in fact illegal to fit e marked or not

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/38547-drl-and-side-light-legality/

Drl are fine, it's HID/zenon that aren't.

Duh youre right goes to show how frazzled the brain gets at night lol

What images do you need Kurt? Let me know and i'll try to get them for you.

Anyone knows if i can use a wiper stalk from a different model (C-Max, Mondeo etc.)? Will it be compatible and of the same shape?

I don't know about the stalk but any pics of what the finish mod looks like, inside and out would be nice

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, do you know if i need to install any fuse to make the auto headlights to work from the sensor?

I activated the auto headlamps through ELM and i've tried three different sensors so far but none of them worked.

3S7T 17D547-AA (HW 2.3, SW 10, 27-08-03)

3S7T 17D547-AA (HW 2.4, SW 10, 09-09-04)

3S7T 17D547-AB (HW 2.6, SW 11, 12-09-06)

I wouldn't like to buy a fourth without knowing if that will solve the problem.

I am thinking that it might be one of the missing fuses, so i ordered some to place them and test again. My current fuse box is this.

post-29590-0-71299900-1376417387_thumb.j

Also, as Captain Haddock suggested, the relay might not be present. Could it be the missing part from the top right, or is it definitely an internal part?

@George

The vacant position in the PJB next to the green connector is definately for the factory Daytime Running Lights relay (R15).

The factory DRLs for the Mk2.5 are a sort of resurection of the "Dim Dip" headlights that were touted many a year back (IIRC mid/late 1980's) where the dipped beam headlights are at about 80% brightness. The factory DRLs are triggered by putting the lighting switch to AL (autolights) before switching on the ignition. See this specfic post for details about retro-fitting the factory DRLs to a Mk2.5 Focus; page 64 of the Focus Mk2/Mk2.5 wiring diagram shows the relevant factory DRL segment.

The autolights (i.e. ambient light dependant switch on/off) relay is internal to the PJB; as are a few others (e.g. the low and high beam headlight relays). Page 63 of the Focus Mk2/Mk2.5 wiring diagram shows the relevant autolights segment and it is the Rain Sensor (under the rearview mirror) that has the low light detector built in.

Here's the rear view of the rain sensor on my 2008 Mk2.5 Titanium (Auto Wipers+Auto Lights)

Focus Mk2.5 2008 Rain Sensor

Looking at page 63 shows that the autolights relay only appears to switch on power to the front+rear sidelights which means that it's GEM segment of the PJB that triggers the low beam relay.

Maybe it's your PJB that can't/won't activate the low beam relay ?

Thanks for your reply Rob.

So what you're saying is that it is probably an issue with the PJB rather than a missing fuse or incorrect sensor?

Thanks for your reply Rob.

So what you're saying is that it is probably an issue with the PJB rather than a missing fuse or incorrect sensor?

What does this actually mean for you now? any progress on it so far?

Silly question mate but what about the talk and the auto switch? did you install them and set it to auto? I'm hoping to install this mod this weekend.

BTW how have you actually tested it to see if it works?

I still haven't found a solution. I've ordered a multimeter hoping this could help somehow.

I did install a switch which had green illumination but i doubt that has anything to do with it. When setting to auto, the side lights come on but when i cover the sensor nothing happens. The ignition is "on" and i have installed some missing fuses just in case but still nothing.

I'll investigate further this weekend if i get some time. Let me know if this works for you. Most people around managed to complete the retrofit without issues.

• Like 1

I still haven't found a solution. I've ordered a multimeter hoping this could help somehow.

I did install a switch which had green illumination but i doubt that has anything to do with it. When setting to auto, the side lights come on but when i cover the sensor nothing happens. The ignition is "on" and i have installed some missing fuses just in case but still nothing.

I'll investigate further this weekend if i get some time. Let me know if this works for you. Most people around managed to complete the retrofit without issues.

Although doubtful i would suggest eBay one or two of the sensors and get another switch. The econetic i rented once with auto lights did not switch on the sidelights when in auto. It turns on dipped beam instead (Of course that includes side lights) but it never switched on sidelights on it's own nor do know of any car with auto lights that does that so my suggestion is to try another switch, it's a shot in the dark but i think it's worth it.

Here is a rather decent deal mate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Mondeo-Mk3-2000-2007-Headlight-Adjust-Switch-Knob-Auto-Light-Setting-/181134835982?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord&hash=item2a2c7a410e

Did you change the stalk? not that you need to but did you set the stalk to intervals? that is the same as auto.

And how did you test it what did you do? sorry for repeating but i'm curious

As Haz93 suggested, you don't need to change the wiper stalk.

The switch that you linked, probably won't fit because it is a bit bigger (width/height) than the one used in Focus.

I tested simply by covering the sensor completely to simulate darkness. I haven't placed it properly on the windscreen yet.

I'll check the switch when i get some time, but i won't buy a new one just yet because it is hard to source a LHD one.

Hey :)

Is that a slot in the circular part of the mirror?

The reason I ask is if you fit it on in that position the plastic cover to his wiring/sensor won't fit.

I shall post a pic of how it must be modded to fit with plastic trim.

Also you get my pm about the elm options??

Glad to know this is becoming a more popular mod, if anyone needs help/advice please feel free to ask :)

Hello again Harrison.

I am not very sure what you mean about "the slot in the circular part of the mirror". If you are saying that the cover probably won't fit, i just took some images from a dry-run with the cover in place and it seems to be sitting nicely.

post-29590-0-08518700-1377195481_thumb.jpost-29590-0-19521400-1377195484_thumb.j

I did get your PM, and i've done all of your suggestions. Strangely the rain sensor works fine, so i'm starting to believe that is either the switch or as Rob suggested, the PJB.

I'll probably have a look this weekend.

Just a correction to my previous post, when i switch to "auto" nothing happens. not even the sidelights come on.

oops my bad, indeed that switch will not fit. Harrison i wouldn't mind getting the same info too bro i will be fitting this mod soon.

George, the focus switch on eBay is £45+ but i would still recommend trying to different switch first, if the rain sensor works nothing should be missing or not working for the lights.

Harrison have you got any pics of yours fitted? has anyone added in some tints to hide away the cover of the rain sensor?

Hello again Harrison.

I am not very sure what you mean about "the slot in the circular part of the mirror". If you are saying that the cover probably won't fit, i just took some images from a dry-run with the cover in place and it seems to be sitting nicely.

attachicon.gif2013-08-22-1046.jpgattachicon.gif2013-08-22-1047.jpg

I did get your PM, and i've done all of your suggestions. Strangely the rain sensor works fine, so i'm starting to believe that is either the switch or as Rob suggested, the PJB.

I'll probably have a look this weekend.

Just a correction to my previous post, when i switch to "auto" nothing happens. not even the sidelights come on.

Okay guess your mod to the mirror works better than mine lol, was viewing on iPhone before so only had a small image. I didnt go to the extent of cutting away at the mirror but seems like the plastic cover is a better fit on the windscreen as mine was. All I did was file some grooves on those three small circular parts to slide over the original mounting but this left a small gap around the plastic trim. I was not sure if your modification would bring the plastic too close to fit but looks good :)

About the switch, are you sure you have the right loom going to the switch?? as im sure knowing ford they have soooo many looms that do different things for different models. If you look at my guide of fitting the submarine lighting, you can see the wiring to the connector i had, best to check if yours is the same.

If not then I would say probably a faulty switch. when in the auto setting without the rain sensor fitted the either the side lights or dipped beam was constantly on, i can't remember which though.

oops my bad, indeed that switch will not fit. Harrison i wouldn't mind getting the same info too bro i will be fitting this mod soon.

George, the focus switch on ebay is £45+ but i would still recommend trying to different switch first, if the rain sensor works nothing should be missing or not working for the lights.

Harrison have you got any pics of yours fitted? has anyone added in some tints to hide away the cover of the rain sensor?

What would you like to know mate?? ELM options or just general info??

also i will have a look for some pics, I planned to use some black vinyl wrap cut to shape around the sensor mount, but it will be hard to cover the actual mount as it needs to be glued to the screen and any tint/wrap will not adhere. The best thing to do would be to have the windscreen changed to the one with the built in tinted section.

The switch seems the right one, came from a 2007 focus and microcat sais it is the correct one for my car.

I wouldn't like to think that it is an issue with the switch because it almost impossible to source a LHD switch with auto lights. I had to get mine from a guy in Spain at a ridiculous amount...

Harrison any info really that may be of interest. Quick question, how does the mirror bracket attach to the windscreen and how do i remove the current mirror?

So far i've received the mirror and sensor but no switch yet.

George this may be a silly question but i figure any info is worth adding. I understand that your car is LHD and the difficulty of sourcing such a switch but is it not possible to pull out the connector for the switch on the car to plug in a RHD switch just for testing? i don't know how the switch connects as i've not touched it yet

Kurt, to remove your current mirror, you need to get a flat screwdriver and push the locking part up (away from the windcreen).
post-29590-0-24419500-1377293015_thumb.j

The wire and connector going to the switch are the same for LHD and RHD. I was reluctant in buying one because they are expensive and i would have to resell it, but i finally decided to give it a shot. I'll collect it tomorrow and test.

Prior to ordering the switch, i disassembled my current switch and everything seemed to be in order, so i doubt a new switch will make any difference. I'll report back tomorrow.

• Like 1

Right, so the new switch did not work.

Having only basic knowledge of electrical systems, i decided to use a multimeter at the cable leaving the switch when the engine is "ON" and the switch set to "Auto" hoping that i would at least see if there is any current running through.

I used the wiring schematics found on Preee's post [(entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-ad.pdf) and i tried to locate cable number 52 (15s-le42 GR-RD) which i believe is the one responsible for the auto lights signal Pages from entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-adp116.pdf.

Surprisingly i couldn't find that cable on the loom, so i now need to try and locate its position on the fuse box. If that is blank, I can then try and install a cable from another loom i have hanging around and hope that it will work.

If someone could tell me which connector on the fusebox is the one needed, that would be great.

Update:

I believe that the connector is number 5 on C103 which is the long blue one on the left. I did install a wire running from that to position 52 on the switch, but nothing happened. Do i need a second wire?

• Like 1

Right, so the new switch did not work.

Having only basic knowledge of electrical systems, i decided to use a multimeter at the cable leaving the switch when the engine is "ON" and the switch set to "Auto" hoping that i would at least see if there is any current running through.

I used the wiring schematics found on Preee's post [(attachicon.gifentire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-ad.pdf) and i tried to locate cable number 52 (15s-le42 GR-RD) which i believe is the one responsible for the auto lights signal attachicon.gifPages from entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-adp116.pdf.

Surprisingly i couldn't find that cable on the loom, so i now need to try and locate its position on the fuse box. If that is blank, I can then try and install a cable from another loom i have hanging around and hope that it will work.

If someone could tell me which connector on the fusebox is the one needed, that would be great.

Thank you for the info and picture on how to remove the mirror i will give it a try when the rain let up.

Sorry to hear a new switch did not solve the issue i was hoping it would be so simple... never is though is it?

If i understand correctly you're missing a cable from the fusebox to the switch? or the sensor? if it helps i could check and compare the loom on my car to yours, will try and find the fuse myself in the meanwhile though

Hello Kurt, i believe i miss a least one cable from the switch to the fusebox. This should be the cable labeled "52" on the switch and should be this one.

post-29590-0-17491200-1377372023_thumb.j

I believe the place that this connects to the PJB is here

post-29590-0-40680900-1377372191_thumb.j

It would be great if you could take some pictures of the cables going into the switch and to the PJB.

Edit: after a second look at the wiring diagram, i might be wrong about the position of the cable in the PJB. I now believe i counted the positions the other way, but is too dark to check that. I'll have another look tomorrow. C103.pdf. If that doesn't work either, i'm probably doomed! :P

Great news! So i went back to the car this morning and tried plugging the wire to a different position. After a bit of fiddling due to connection issues, i finally managed to make the autolights work!

On the two images below, you can see the location of the wire that joins the switch and the PJB.

post-29590-0-98733500-1377423059_thumb.jpost-29590-0-65928200-1377423063_thumb.j

Hope this helps someone who is in the same situation like me...

Now, in order to make the wiring permanent, i need to source two connectors/terminals and a 0.35 wire. The connectors are the following

post-29590-0-10883100-1377423066_thumb.j

Are those common ones, or are they ford-specific? Can you find them on eBay?