• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK3 Champions Edition
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Also remember there are a few different types of windscreen available for the focus MK2 and MK2.5 which also have different rain/light sensors.

The version of the rain/light sensor you need depends on the type of windscreen that is actually fitted in the car. If you fit the wrong type of sensor the auto lights and rain sensor will not work correctly.

As far as i know there is a sensor for normally tinted windscreens with and without heating and there is a different sensor for infrared coated windscreens with and without heating. The infrared windscreens can be recognised by the IR logo on the windscreens.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

sounds like a lot of money and hassle for a set of lights that when my vw had i found to be more annoying than anything else and really do not miss the auto dim mirror ide like again that was very handy

#18 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: George
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Right, as i said i started the project this weekend together with the armrest.

My main issue was the bracket that was different than my current one. The version with the sensor, uses the (old?) round version while the non-sensor ones, use the slide-on bracket. Haz93 mentioned that you can convert it somehow. In the images, you can see my results. It it quite stable, and cutting it with a hacksaw was easier than i thought.

2013-07-13-891-1.jpg 2013-07-13-892-1.jpg

Regarding the sensor options, i saw that there are only two versions for cars between 12/2007 and 06/2011. One without windshield heat shielding and another one with. Here are their part numbers

MODULE - WINDSHIELD RAIN SENSOR, LESS WINDSHIELD HEAT SHIELDING WITH AUTOMATIC WINDSCREEN WIPER (3S7T 17D547-AB / 1374370)

MODULE - WINDSHIELD RAIN SENSOR, WITH WINDSHIELD HEAT SHIELDING WITH AUTOMATIC WINDSCREEN WIPER (5M5T 17D547-JRC / 1670798)

#19 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Updates: I just located the loom for the mirror and the sensor. I was really impressed to find it, as i didn't expect it would be there.

To find it, i removed the blinds from both sides, and there was a very long cable hidden somewhere, with two different ends, both of which had three pins. I cannot recall the colors. The cable was long enough to go all the way down to the mirror if pulled to full extend.

I connected the mirror and it works fine. I tested with a flashlight and it turns green. It needs a few seconds to do so, but the result is great. I just hope it will work during the night with my tinted rear windows. If not, i won't really care as it was a great mod that i enjoyed so far.

My issue was with the sensors however, since i couldn't make auto headlights work. I assume i will have to change the settings with the ELM config. The sensor i am trying to install is 3S7T 17D547-AA (instead of -AB), but the connectors are the same. Any info would be much appreciated.

#20 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

I have not looked at the mirror yet so not even what the pics mean to me atm mate. I wasn't aware there was an option for heated and not heated. Not fussed about this tbh.

Arthur the mod is really simple and cheap, it may look like a lot of work but believe me it isn't. I don't believe that you HAVE to install the auto dimming mirror as they are separate however if you do it will look complete. 

#21 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Updates: I just located the loom for the mirror and the sensor. I was really impressed to find it, as i didn't expect it would be there.

To find it, i removed the blinds from both sides, and there was a very long cable hidden somewhere, with two different ends, both of which had three pins. I cannot recall the colors. The cable was long enough to go all the way down to the mirror if pulled to full extend.

I connected the mirror and it works fine. I tested with a flashlight and it turns green. It needs a few seconds to do so, but the result is great. I just hope it will work during the night with my tinted rear windows. If not, i won't really care as it was a great mod that i enjoyed so far.

My issue was with the sensors however, since i couldn't make auto headlights work. I assume i will have to change the settings with the ELM config. The sensor i am trying to install is 3S7T 17D547-AA (instead of -AB), but the connectors are the same. Any info would be much appreciated.

Yes it needs to be activated with ELM or £70 job done at ford. What is the difference between AA and AB mate?

I too was surprised to have it too mate :- ) Hidden well

#22 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

i don't think it's worth £70 to be honest. I'll probably follow Preee's guide. It works out much cheaper and you can then do more stuff while you are at it.

I haven't seen anyone saying that the -AA is also a lights sensor, so i am a bit worried that it might not fit. When i activate the sensor, if it still doesn't work, i'll know that i need a new sensor! :)

So far, this mod costed around £30 for all the parts including the mirror and sensors.

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

thats cheap i meant ive read some on here have ahd whole windscreens replaced just to have the auto light sensor im interested in the auto dim rear mirror but ill leave the auto lights ive got all 10 pins on the light loom so was going to fit the bi xenon lights till i saw the prices a cost i just cant justify to be honest

#24 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Oh dear, George i had a look too and it appears the AA only does rain from what i have read. Hopefully it does both mate because i am looking for to some inside and outside pics of it when from you! get them pics up bro!

A family member of mine has borrowed my laptop and never brought it back :- / possibly i will buy a netbook my car own personal tuning machine. 

Arthur the whole windscreen is an option indeed and a good one too if you don't have heated windscreen and want to upgrade to auto wipers/light and heated screen all in one go. Do it dude the mirror is like £15 or less on ebay, all wiring already there and nothing to activate for that feature.

I am also considering the bi xenon lights myself. Biggest problem holding me back with it though is that i think it requires washer jets to be legal... not sure... anyways i haven't seen any mods on how to install washer jets and headlight auto leveling

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

im gonna do the mirror ive got the climate so heated windscreen anyway as for the bi xenon i dont think they came with washers on the ford as standard from what ive seen lets be honest everyone else is getting away with it with drls so what the heck

#26 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
Contributor

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

No mate the DRL's are fully E marked and road legal in the UK, would not have installed them myself if it wasn't road legal. The e-mark and other info is printed on the lens of the DRL as they are with any other kind of lights.

Would love to have bi xenon but if it won't comply with the requirements of being legal it's a no go for me and it does indeed appears to be a hard mod...

#27 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

E marked drls arent legal mate as has been discussed theyy are only legal if fitted with washers and auto levelling sensors all aftermarket drls as vosa will tell you are in fact illegal to fit e marked or not

http://www.fordowner...light-legality/

#28 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,833 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

Drl are fine, it's HID/zenon that aren't.

#29 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Duh youre right goes to show how frazzled the brain gets at night lol

#30 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

What images do you need Kurt? Let me know and i'll try to get them for you.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users