Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: George
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Kurt, to remove your current mirror, you need to get a flat screwdriver and push the locking part up (away from the windcreen).
2013-08-23-1049.jpg

The wire and connector going to the switch are the same for LHD and RHD. I was reluctant in buying one because they are expensive and i would have to resell it, but i finally decided to give it a shot. I'll collect it tomorrow and test.

Prior to ordering the switch, i disassembled my current switch and everything seemed to be in order, so i doubt a new switch will make any difference. I'll report back tomorrow.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Right, so the new switch did not work.

Having only basic knowledge of electrical systems, i decided to use a multimeter at the cable leaving the switch when the engine is "ON" and the switch set to "Auto" hoping that i would at least see if there is any current running through.

I used the wiring schematics found on Preee's post [(Attached File  entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-ad.pdf   83.41KB   99 downloads) and i tried to locate cable number 52 (15s-le42 GR-RD) which i believe is the one responsible for the auto lights signal Attached File  Pages from entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-adp116.pdf   52.33KB   352 downloads.

Surprisingly i couldn't find that cable on the loom, so i now need to try and locate its position on the fuse box. If that is blank, I can then try and install a cable from another loom i have hanging around and hope that it will work.

If someone could tell me which connector on the fusebox is the one needed, that would be great.

Update:

I believe that the connector is number 5 on C103 which is the long blue one on the left. I did install a wire running from that to position 52 on the switch, but nothing happened. Do i need a second wire?

#48 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Right, so the new switch did not work.

Having only basic knowledge of electrical systems, i decided to use a multimeter at the cable leaving the switch when the engine is "ON" and the switch set to "Auto" hoping that i would at least see if there is any current running through.

I used the wiring schematics found on Preee's post [(attachicon.gifentire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-ad.pdf) and i tried to locate cable number 52 (15s-le42 GR-RD) which i believe is the one responsible for the auto lights signal attachicon.gifPages from entire_schematics_ph8m5t-70000-adp116.pdf.

Surprisingly i couldn't find that cable on the loom, so i now need to try and locate its position on the fuse box. If that is blank, I can then try and install a cable from another loom i have hanging around and hope that it will work.

If someone could tell me which connector on the fusebox is the one needed, that would be great.

Thank you for the info and picture on how to remove the mirror i will give it a try when the rain let up.

Sorry to hear a new switch did not solve the issue i was hoping it would be so simple... never is though is it?

If i understand correctly you're missing a cable from the fusebox to the switch? or the sensor? if it helps i could check and compare the loom on my car to yours, will try and find the fuse myself in the meanwhile though

#49 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hello Kurt, i believe i miss a least one cable from the switch to the fusebox. This should be the cable labeled "52" on the switch and should be this one.

2013-08-24-1052.jpg

I believe the place that this connects to the PJB is here

2013-08-24-1060.jpg

It would be great if you could take some pictures of the cables going into the switch and to the PJB.

Edit: after a second look at the wiring diagram, i might be wrong about the position of the cable in the PJB. I now believe i counted the positions the other way, but is too dark to check that. I'll have another look tomorrow. Attached File  C103.pdf   295.93KB   41 downloads. If that doesn't work either, i'm probably doomed! :P

#50 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

Great news! So i went back to the car this morning and tried plugging the wire to a different position. After a bit of fiddling due to connection issues, i finally managed to make the autolights work!

On the two images below, you can see the location of the wire that joins the switch and the PJB.

2013-08-25-1062.jpg 2013-08-25-1063.jpg

Hope this helps someone who is in the same situation like me...

Now, in order to make the wiring permanent, i need to source two connectors/terminals and a 0.35 wire. The connectors are the following

2013-08-25-1067.jpg

Are those common ones, or are they ford-specific? Can you find them on ebay?

#51 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

On my phone and its a bit hard to tell but I can see a slight difference between mine and yours 508t.jpg

Onbyour loom the wire circled in your picture is on top (the thicker wire) on mine its under where there is a thinner wire with the same colours on top. Is that where you've added the newer wire on top? On the right hand side of the plug there are no empty slots

#52 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

The circle on my image shows the cable i had to insert for the lights to work.

Your loom already has this cable. It is the one shown on your image with Green on either side and red in the middle located on the right of the clip.

Our looms are the same but mine is missing only one cable which is the one responsible for auto lights.

#53 Tezza

Tezza

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Terry
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:49 PM

Great info for this :)

I'm in the process of doing this as having a new screen fitted this week (gen ford one) so getting the other parts fitted over the bank holiday so it just the matter of putting on the sensor and mirror on and fingers crossed it will all work :)

Having to change the roof loom tho as i don't have the connections for the mirror or sensor :( but i do have the wiring in the light switch to the PJB according to ford etis the wire numbers on the headlamp switch are

11 (orange/black that goes to fuse 103)

12 (red/green that goes to  ignition switch/relay )

13 (orange/yellow that goes to connector C102 slot/pin 1)

16 (orange/blue that goes to connector C102 slot/pin 34 )

Will let you all know how i get on :)

#54 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,689 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Excellent stuff George, glad we've come to a conclusion of this mod and identify the potential issues. now you can sell the unwanted parts and get back some of your money.

Terry take a good hard look under the roof liner to be 100% sure you don't have the loom, mine was very well hidden and glued down, took me a long time cutting away the glue

#55 Tezza

Tezza

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Terry take a good hard look under the roof liner to be 100% sure you don't have the loom, mine was very well hidden and glued down, took me a long time cutting away the glue

With having a factory fitted sunroof its a bit hard to get into but i have looked and cant see it :( i am looknig for 2 connectors one for the sensor and one for the mirror

Also im missing 2 wires on connector C98 pin 12 green/white and pin 5 green/red

#56 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Terry, are you 100% sure you don't have those wires?

You need the following:

For the Autolamp indicator (coming from the switch)

Position 5 on C103 Green - Red

For the sensor (coming from the top)

Position 4 on 98 Black - Green

Position 11 on 98 Green - Black

Position 12 on 98 White - Green

You can find the connector C98 on the first post

#57 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

Just saw your post. I also have factory sun roof, and to find them, i had to remove the screws holding the sun-visors and the courtesy lights (middle and side ones) and pull everything down.

Judging from your loom, you might have to change it after all...

I am not sure if you will find a cheap one tho. Personally, i will try to find the connectors shown above. It is easier and safer to run a few cables, instead of removing all the trims from the car to get access to the loom.

I believe the needed connectors are

Sicma3 2.8 Female Unsealed Tin Plating Terminal, Cable Range 0.35 - 0.75 mm2

and

CTS 150 Series Female Sealed Terminal Assembly, Cable Range 0.22 - 0.35 mm2

#58 Tezza

Tezza

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Terry, are you 100% sure you don't have those wires?

You need the following:

You can find the connector C98 on the first post

I have the following

Removing the C98 connector from the PJB i have the following

In C98 i dont have the following wire/connection

In the loom going to the roof did you locate the connector for the mirror too ??

#59 Tezza

Tezza

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Just saw your post. I also have factory sun roof, and to find them, i had to remove the screws holding the sun-visors and the courtesy lights (middle and side ones) and pull everything down.

Judging from your loom, you might have to change it after all...

I am not sure if you will find a cheap one tho. Personally, i will try to find the connectors shown above. It is easier and safer to run a few cables, instead of removing all the trims from the car to get access to the loom.

I believe the needed connectors are

Sicma3 2.8 Female Unsealed Tin Plating Terminal, Cable Range 0.35 - 0.75 mm2
and
CTS 150 Series Female Sealed Terminal Assembly, Cable Range 0.22 - 0.35 mm2

I have aready bought the loom as i work for a ford dealer so i get a great discout hence why i bought a genuine ford windscreen :)

#60 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes, everything i needed for the top loom was there. I was only missing one cable from the loom going to the switch.

In case anyone is interested, i found a website which has loads of connectors. I'll probably go there next week and show them the connectors i need.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users