Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Name: George
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2.5
  • Year: 2010

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Oh ok. Did you find anything? Do they actually sell those things in Ford? I would imagine they only sell the wiring looms...

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#92 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Oh ok. Did you find anything? Do they actually sell those things in Ford? I would imagine they only sell the wiring looms...

Not had the chance to enquire about it yet bud.

On the other hand though i have made great progress with this mod. Removed the square type windscreen mirror mount (I will do a guide on this because there is no clear info out there on how to get off the !Removed! thing without damaging the windscreen)

I refitted the new round type mount with a rear view mirror fitting kit from halfords, Now i will attempt to mark out the position of the sensor and fit it. a bit gutted i don't have any tint because now would be ideal time for it to perfect this mod.

I will post some pictures once done

FTW i went back on my word of not removing the original mount because gluing the new mount to the old mount created an unsatisfactory gap of about 10mm between the windscreen and the sensor cover, that's not acceptable i cannot cover that with silicone

#93 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

Right so here is what the mount button for the round type mirror looks like

qpp8.jpg

vkqr.jpg

and here is the crap i had to get off

0mvq.jpg

99hn.jpg

New mount fitted

nsxf.jpg

sensor fitted

It was so hard to get out all of the bubble since the silicone pad isn't new but i think this is good enough and should work fine, not tested it though, swapped over the internals of the sensor for AB using case for AA

b33t.jpg

Hooked up something that doesn't look very sexy although it serves a serious purpose of holding the sensor pressed onto the windscreen until the silicone glue goes off (Tomorrow)

Once this is all dried i will fit mirror and casing... during my test fit it held very well but i could see it popping out over a pot hole so i will add a bit of glue to it for extra protection, i don't ever want to touch this thing again forget the tint it looks good as it is

#94 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Wow, nice work mate. How did you remove the square mirror mount? Did you just pull it away from the windscreen?

Also, did you test with the -AA sensor?

#95 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

No i didn't test it yet, auto wipers and lights were not enabled at the time, i will do that later on when it's activated and see if the AA sensor works for lights.

Getting the mount off wasn't hard but it was stressful lol, i set the heater to max and blower to 1 and positioned it to windscreen, locked all windows and got my hair dryer, went at it for 10 whole mins the car was roasting and i was sweating like a christmas turkey. I tried to pry it off with a flat head screw driver and that wasn't going well so i got my mole grips out locked it round the mount and wiggled it left and right it popped off just like that, cleaned it with some turtle wax glass cleaner 

#96 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

I have successfully completed this mod, auto wipers, auto headlights and auto Dimming rear view mirror.

Overnight the silicone pad somehow squeezed out more of the bubbles and it now looks like this

63ak.jpg

almost bubble free

Auto wipers now work perfectly i tested it with a spray bottle filled with water, it comes on when spraying directly onto the sensor and it comes on also making a few wipes when spraying lightly at random areas of the windscreen where water drops are pulled over the sensor from the wind.

Not tested it yet in actual rain gotta wait and see... headlights are working fine, i can also confirm sensor AA works for both wipers and headlights.

Auto dimming mirror is also working. Whenever light is shined onto the mirror it dims... as the name suggest. In normal conditions it looks like a regular mirror... whenever light hits the mirror... for example a van behind, the mirror fades into a blue-ish light colored tint look, getting darker and darker depending on how much light it senses. Very cool.

Not a lot of  pics today was too dark outside will get some tomorrow. I'm not 100% satisfied with the finished look from outside of the windscreen, although there is nothing wrong with it, you can clearly see inside of the mirror cover where the cables are hidden...

Further down the line i will do something about this. The other issue are the cables leading under the liner, is there some sort of plastic covers for this? like i've seen on other vehicles? if not i will have to make something to cover the small bit of cable

yerx.jpg

Other than these very small fussy niggles of mine, it's job complete

#97 giwrgos_ath

giwrgos_ath

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

Well done mate and congratulations. I hope you enjoy this mod!

By the way, which glue did you use for the sensor holder?

#98 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,237 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

To cover the cable you can get something like this-

http://www.ebay.com/...0ae64f7&vxp=mtr

Another option is some 16mm x 8mm D-Line conduit from B&Q, there are also various ends and bends available.

AFAIK they do black in store but for some reason not online.

#99 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Well done mate and congratulations. I hope you enjoy this mod!

By the way, which glue did you use for the sensor holder?

Thank you bro, it was all worth the trouble my mirror feels solid, i can twists and turn with no probs.

I used sanitary silicone from screwfix. I used this stuff a lot with my work so i have have couple tubes laying about

Get it at screwfix for £1.99 other online retailer will sell it for £1 different name same stuff.

No Nonsense Sanitary Silicone Clear. Black would have been better but it's what i had, black is the same price. One small tip though some retailers have silicone that is transparent, this is different from clear it's cloudy looking and has a thicker texture, avoid this. Sanitary silicone is waterproof and heat resistant so no need to worry about a hot summer or a cold winter causing the sensor to come loose.

8yci.jpg

(If you don't have a sealant gun don't bother buying one, a large screwdriver will do the job squeezing it out)

Use a very small amount like this, too much and it will spread over the sides or even worse onto the silicone pad distorting the sensor view

To cover the cable you can get something like this-

http://www.ebay.com/...0ae64f7&vxp=mtr

Another option is some 16mm x 8mm D-Line conduit from B&Q, there are also various ends and bends available.

AFAIK they do black in store but for some reason not online.

Clive thanks for this bro it's exactly what i need, i popped into my local B&Q and they only had white, brown and a silver, next option will be to check out my other B&Q stores nearby, and ebay order will take too long i need it now :D

Once again thanks for the much needed help my good man

#100 Tezza

Tezza

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Name: Terry
  • Ford Model: Focus ST3
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Well done :)

Apart from the power fold mirrors this is the best mod I did even tho it cost me £400 to complete lol

#101 KevG

KevG

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus ST2

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Resurrecing an old post.

I've installed the mirror, the rain sensor and the auto head lamp switch I have the wiring in place like mixmaster, but how did you go about "activating" the autoheadlamps and rain sensor, did you do it via the ELMConfig software and the modded ELM cable or did you take a trip to a local Ford dealer and get them to activate it using IDS?

#102 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,673 posts
Contributor

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Resurrecing an old post.

I've installed the mirror, the rain sensor and the auto head lamp switch I have the wiring in place like mixmaster, but how did you go about "activating" the autoheadlamps and rain sensor, did you do it via the ELMConfig software and the modded ELM cable or did you take a trip to a local Ford dealer and get them to activate it using IDS?

I used ELMconfig myself, it's easy enough

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

#103 KevG

KevG

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Name: Kevin
  • Ford Model: Focus ST2

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Right got into the GEM and ticked a few boxes, however since my car is prefacelift, the auto headlights are on all the time when in auto mode, and the rain sensor has stopped my variable intermittent wipe to just a normal 10 second sweep, cannot seem to find a post that somebody had the same problems and installed a 2008> fuse box?

Any other ideas?

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users