Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking problem?

adrian109

Hi,

I have just bought an 1998 S Reg Focus 1.6 Zetec SE, 5 door hatchback and I am having trouble with opening the rear door (the one behind the passenger seat).

When the car is first unlocked the door will not open from the outside, to open the door I have to open it from the inside. Once it has been opened from the inside it can then be opened quite happily from the outside until the car is locked again and then its back to opening it from the inside again.

Has anyone had the same problem? And if so, how did you fix it? What did you have to replace?

I hope someone here can help me.

Thanks.

Quite a common problem with back door locks failing. Mine did this, took the door card off unplugged multiplug, liberal spray of WD40 on lock plugged it back in. Touch wood its been fine since.....

Quite a common problem with back door locks failing. Mine did this, took the door card off unplugged multiplug, liberal spray of WD40 on lock plugged it back in. Touch wood its been fine since.....

So you had the same problem - but you found it to be a mechanical problem (i.e. lock stuck) rather than an electrical problem?

I would have thought this particular problem would be more electrical rather than mechanical as the door does open once it has been open from the inside and is only put into the dis-functional state after the car is locked.

Mine was the lock mechanism sticking. Mine wouldn't unlock, wouldnt lock or unlock with the others and didnt double lock either. Did the procedure I stated and its been fine. To sum up yes it was mechanical not electrical. As long as its getting a feed thats all it needs and it was. Theres a lot of mechanical bits to the lock tucked away inside the door you never see and never get lubricated in general maintainance so its not really surprising.

It could always be the motor on the lock thats failed. This might not be so if its locking properly and just not unlocking. If it is its a complete new lock time. The motors are not replaceable on their own. Priced one up for mine £127+VAT. That was 2 years ago....

• 2 weeks later...
Mine was the lock mechanism sticking. Mine wouldn't unlock, wouldnt lock or unlock with the others and didnt double lock either. Did the procedure I stated and its been fine. To sum up yes it was mechanical not electrical. As long as its getting a feed thats all it needs and it was. Theres a lot of mechanical bits to the lock tucked away inside the door you never see and never get lubricated in general maintainance so its not really surprising.

It could always be the motor on the lock thats failed. This might not be so if its locking properly and just not unlocking. If it is its a complete new lock time. The motors are not replaceable on their own. Priced one up for mine £127+VAT. That was 2 years ago....

I took the door card off and got access to the lock mechanism....tried for ages to get the multiplug off the unit but would it unplug...no you need babies hands to get anywhere near it and its held on with 2 little tabs which you cant unhook because of where it is. Nightmare

I never said anywhere that it was easy. Although my hands arent small and I didn't have a problem lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club