Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg - Your Experiences

mobily

If you are only getting around 30 mpg from a 1.6 petrol and I am getting around 37mpg from a 1.8 petrol estate with 16,000 miles on the clock, always 2 up on short 5 to 10 mile country road trips, then you do have cause for concern; are your journeys all start and stop, does the car need a service or is your right foot too heavy?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobily

• Pitmonster

• Scoobimax

• NorthSussex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wouldnt say 30mpg was a cause for concern as said its all down to air temperature intake temps flat roads hills slopes stop start traffic wind speed head wind or tail wind etc etc so comparing mpg is a pointless exercise unless you live near the guy and travel the exact same route at the same time at the same speed at 60/40 town driving being the 60 then its what ide expect though ide look to eek some mpg back on the motorway however if its mainly uphill then its about average if its flat i would be a little unsure

at present i filled up with £35.00 of fuel at 139.9 per litre and in total have covered 228 miles and always have 50 miles left in the tank which makes 41.43mpg on a 10 mile journey with stop start for the first 3 miles then 65-70mph the remaining 7 miles some uphill some flat so i dont really get the car that warm it sits for 12 hours then i do the same route return on motorways i can get up to 47mpg it just depends

Around 30 mpg seems quite standard unfortunately for the 1.6 petrol for driving around town.

On a seperate note I e-mailed a local re-mapping company and received the following response. What they are saying seems interesting, but I do have some doubts!

I would advise you that remapping on its own, will not improve your fuel efficiency on this vehicle, it will only improve your BHP by 9 and your torque by 15.

Fuel efficiency can only be gained by having the remap in conjunction with one of our hydrogen-on-demand devices fitted. This way you will achieve the improved performance, reduced emissions and improved fuel efficiency of at least 20%. The customised mapping that we offer alongside the hydrogen system is designed to remove exhaust sensors which prevent the hydrogen from working at its optimum.

The hydrogen product is covered by a 3-year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee. We usually ask for a deposit of £100 to secure the fitting appointment and then we operate a 30 day payment scheme, where you have the option to pay the balance of the full price on the day of the fitting or 30 days later, in line with the 30-day money back guarantee.

The total cost inc VAT is £400.

Iv have just moved from a 1.2 Fiesta to a 1lt Focus.

I never managed more than 32 round town in the Fiesta, max 45 on a long run in Wales. I was so disgusted with this I fitted a Garmin Ecodrive blue tooth device to my engine diagnostic plug. This gave all sorts of info to the sat nav device. It indicated all sorts of wild fuel consumptions and gave an average of 43, however on filling up and calculating the truth was 32 mpg.

My Focus now has a factory fitted consumption indicator which I hope is a bit more accurate. It at least shows me where the fuel is being used most.

I commute through Leeds twice a day, my 7 mile outward run is mainly down hill with light traffic. I purr along at 55 mpg dropping to 28 to rise up a few little hills or accelerate away from lights. Average mpg 44.

The home run Is through heavy congestion, I see the indicator at 5 to 9 mpg for a few meters at a time up a hill 1 mile long,I have two of these on the way home. Takes 30 mins to cover the return 7 miles. Average mpg 24.

This gives an overall of 34 (Ford quote 38 urban for this model). If I can find a flatter route home it will make a massive difference.

My conclusion is two cars cannot be compared unless they use the same route, stop start up any hills kills the mpg.

Have to say that I avoid short runs as much as possible (wouldn't think of driving to local shops 10mins walk away) plus I live in a flat part of the country with very few hills. I have no doubt I would do much worse in the Yorkshire Dales.

The 2006 Ghia does not have an instant fuel reading for some reason - is it possible to re-programme to get this?

Have to say that I avoid short runs as much as possible (wouldn't think of driving to local shops 10mins walk away) plus I live in a flat part of the country with very few hills. I have no doubt I would do much worse in the Yorkshire Dales.

The 2006 Ghia does not have an instant fuel reading for some reason - is it possible to re-programme to get this?

Hi Stan,

You can programme the Focus to have instant fuel readings. You'll need a laptop, the free FF2 software which you can find here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

... and one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-OBD2-1-4-USB-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-Scanner-/330604630571

Very worthwhile thing to do. I love mine! Use it all the time.

I am paying £1.39.9 per litre and have to add that we do tend to be slightly heavy footed at times and yes most of our driving is around town.

Instant readout is a fantastic tool for improving fuel economy, as it really focuses the mind on how every single action affects fuel use.

Bit of a distraction though - you spend your time looking at the readout (trying to keep above your target figure) and not the road...

we have a 1.8 tdci 2008 titanium, before a re-map we were getting approx 37-39 round town driving, and top of 40's on a run.... after a map and full service round town averages 46-48, on a run last week coming back from hickley averaging 65, a steady 70 and a few quick bursts....., does drop down when using a heavy foot buy a couple of mpg, also sitting in traffic etc.....

1.6 Petrol Focus currently showing 36mpg on the trip computer. Driven 295 miles on a full tank with 104 miles left before I need to refuel. 200 of those was a good run at 75mph and the rest town driving and sat in traffic.

Based on this information I would be looking at about 33mpg.

Looking forward to refilling so I can do a manual calculation which I am hoping will be slighly more!

Update - I filled the car yesterday and then did a manual calculation:

Total miles - 317

MPG - 34.42

These 317 miles were made up of 200 on a good run at 75mph and the rest around town and a lot of it in heavy nose to nose traffic.

Geeks r us!!

Since having my scangaugeII fitted (Which in one of the sections I have instant mpg read out) Iv gained on average 6mpg! Its great to be able to adjust your driving style to get the figures you want.

Just done the nec and back motorway there A road back averaged 51 mpg with 56 mile range left that was on half a tank so that gives me a tank range of 600 plus on a run avarages around 37 round town this is on my 1.8 tdci

I’ve just got an average of 32.7mpg from my 1.6 100ps. Mostly stop start driving on A and B roads doing shortish journeys (no more than 10 miles at a time). Car is in need of a service too so hopefully the figures will improve after that.

I used this website for my calculations http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

What do you reacon a 2 litre petrol 'Duratec' Focus will do to the gallon???

What do you reacon a 2 litre petrol 'Duratec' Focus will do to the gallon???

I had a 1999 2ltr Duratec petrol Mondeo, much older than your car but I averaged 32 mpg on local short trips and up to 40 mpg on a long motorway journey.

Thanks NorthSussex.

I used to hail from East Sussex BTW (Polegate) before decovering the charms of Asia (I dont mean the Focus!!!! LOL!). I guess a new smaller/lighter Focus will be a shade better than your figures but the info is appreciated. : )

Thanks NorthSussex.

I used to hail from East Sussex BTW (Polegate) before decovering the charms of Asia (I dont mean the Focus!!!! LOL!). I guess a new smaller/lighter Focus will be a shade better than your figures but the info is appreciated. : )

Hi Dave,

I now have a 2009 1.8ltr petrol Focus estate, it uses a Mazda designed engine called a Duratec HE built by Ford, this now gives me an average of 37 mpg on the same short runs as the Mondeo, so yes a newer 2 ltr should do better.

So far driven 85 miles following fillup and this has all been around town very much stop start, short journeys. Trip computer reads 30mpg and going by number of miles left before refuelling I am looking at about an mpg of about 30.5 so it looks quite accurate. Official urban figure is 32.5 so the discrepancy is not that bad.

Looking to see how I can get the figures up when I do a run on A roads around 50/60mph

2nd refuel on RoadTrip Lite and it's showing 47.2 mpg.

I'm becoming (more of) a nerd!!!!!

2nd refuel on RoadTrip Lite and it's showing 47.2 mpg.

I'm becoming (more of) a nerd!!!!!

It's addictive!

I find myself trying to always beat my average, and it's also a great tool to check how accurate your trip computer is.

In 16.6k miles since I bought by car 11 months ago I've averaged 50.84 mpg, with a personal best of 55.18. For a car nearing 80k miles they're cracking results.

I love the way my mpg graph has gone steadily upwards (see the white line on this screenshot)

https://dl.dropbox.c...12 20 23 11.png

Even at today's fuel prices I'm running at 12.50 pence per mile which is a huge improvement of the 18-19 pence per mile of my previous car (1.8 petrol Laguna)

Does anybody use any other apps for mpg?

Well so far (1refill) I'm @ 13.7p per mile over my 417 miles.

Wished I'd been using the app since I picked the car up in Jan - some 14k miles ago!!!

Since my last refill I have done 140 miles, all town traffic, short journeys, never getting above 40mph and the trip is showing 28.7mpg. Not too bad for the type of journeys I have done. A diesel car would have conked out by now!!

i have a 1.6 tdci focus 2005 (DPF) had it about 8 months and no real issues with it, i do mainly town driving but also give it a good run every month.

i have worked out that around town i am getting 30mpg - surely i should be getting more than that??!!!??

i have it booked in for MOT and service and having air filter and fuel filter also replaced. its done 67k miles. will the service and filters mean i will start seeing better mpg?

Maybe you will see better mpg after tge service, but town driving is always very heavy on MPG - if you look at the official figures it's always the worst of the 3 numbers.

Why is this?

Two main reasons:

1- plenty of sitting still at traffic lights and junctions, using fuel but going nowhere. In MPG maths terms your using lots of G for not very much M

2- plenty of accelerating away from rest. Accelerating is the very worst thing for fuel economy, and in stop-start driving you do a LOT of it. Of course it's not high speed stuff, but it's still the engine fighting to overcome the inertia of a stationary object, and that requires a lot of throttle use. You can't escape the laws of physics.

Any roads where you can cruise at a constant speed and on a light throttle will see your mpg soar.