• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16 Pitmonster

Pitmonster

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: 2006 Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec (Climate)
  • Year: 2006

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

The roads you drive on and traffic conditions can have a massive influence on fuel economy. When we had the massive downpours last week and the roads were snarled up, I was watching the MPG reading on my trip computer go down and down as I sat in traffic.

Personal driving style is important too - in fact after we discussed the subject Mrs PM now matches my fuel economy when she uses the car, which is fantastic.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Scoobimax

Scoobimax

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 2.0 TDCi
  • Year: 2009

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Trip computer average for past 6 months is showing 46.4. When I used to reset the average for each tank during the first 2 months ownership it was approx 42.

That's in a 2.0 TDCi covering approx 15,000 miles over the 8 months since I bought it.

My driving style is rapid progress with plenty of forward anticipation - no Santa pod starts away from the lights but equally little braking/acceleration in the bends. Commute to work is mixed A roads, short motorway / dual carriage way stint and city centre driving - 27 miles each way so engine getting well warmed up for maximum efficiency.

Not done any manual calculations but may start using the iPhone app now though.

Hope that helps.

Max

#18 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Name: Garrie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 (100PS)

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

GSM - 1.6 Petrol

Stan

Hmm, you're doing a lot better mpg than me and I'm on the 1.6 petrol too! Do a lot of motorway miles?

#19 Foci_st3

Foci_st3

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Name: D
  • Ford Model: MK3 Focus Titanium x
  • Year: 2012

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

1.6 ecoboost 180ps currently only with 1000 miles on engine getting between 35 and 38mpg. Travelling 50 miles a day mixed of short dual roads with roundabouts, 7 mile stretch of 70-75mph dual carriage way and then a roads between 50-60mph.

#20 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

im around the same as stan with the 1.6 ti vct engine 36 minimumn and 48 max. average at the moment after 1 month im doing 40mpg

#21 mobily

mobily

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 Petrol

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

Interesting to read everyones experiences.

I agree that the official figures are in controlled conditions, however there is quite a difference between 25mpg and 32.5mpg.

I have read that an ECU re-map can give you increased power and torque delivery with increased fuel economy. Does anyone have any experience of this?

#22 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Interesting to read everyones experiences.

I agree that the official figures are in controlled conditions, however there is quite a difference between 25mpg and 32.5mpg.

I have read that an ECU re-map can give you increased power and torque delivery with increased fuel economy. Does anyone have any experience of this?

The gains you get from a non-turbo petrol remap are modest at best, and not really any cheaper to have done. So really there's no point - the economy savings are so small that it'll take you years to earn back the money you spent on getting it chipped.

#23 Andyman

Andyman

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hi 100hp titanium 1.6 petrol, 2009, now on 13000 mls, i get between 31.8 and 32.8 mpg so the dash tells me, my own limited brain power says my car is doing 95miles from twenty quid, is this good??, its better than my old zafira.
Dont notice any difference between supermarket and shell/bp.
All our driving is 60/40 town and dual carrageway.
Wr love our car though.

#24 GSM

GSM

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi 100hp titanium 1.6 petrol, 2009, now on 13000 mls, i get between 31.8 and 32.8 mpg so the dash tells me, my own limited brain power says my car is doing 95miles from twenty quid, is this good??, its better than my old zafira.
Dont notice any difference between supermarket and shell/bp.
All our driving is 60/40 town and dual carrageway.
Wr love our car though.

Depends on your local fuel price, but at £1.40/L and taking an average to 32mpg I'm calculating about bang on 100 miles for £20.

It's a bit close to the low end for the 1.6L Petrol. I'm on the 1.6L Petrol too, mixed motorway and town driving (most of my miles being driven like an old granny, might I add) and I'm getting between 35mpg and 38mpg - and tha'ts a 2006 model with close to 50k miles.

#25 mobily

mobily

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Apparently the increase in bhp is 10 and torque is about 12. A claim of between 5 and 10% increase in fuel economy. I am skeptical of this claim though!

Andyman - If you're getting 95 miles from 20 quid that's about 14.81 litres assuming you are paying £1.35 per litre. This gives you an approximate mpg of just over 29. It's quite low but seems typical for the petrol Focus.

#26 NorthSussex

NorthSussex

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Name: Stormin
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Petrol manual

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

If you are only getting around 30 mpg from a 1.6 petrol and I am getting around 37mpg from a 1.8 petrol estate with 16,000 miles on the clock, always 2 up on short 5 to 10 mile country road trips, then you do have cause for concern; are your journeys all start and stop, does the car need a service or is your right foot too heavy?

#27 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

i wouldnt say 30mpg was a cause for concern as said its all down to air temperature intake temps flat roads hills slopes stop start traffic wind speed head wind or tail wind etc etc so comparing mpg is a pointless exercise unless you live near the guy and travel the exact same route at the same time at the same speed at 60/40 town driving being the 60 then its what ide expect though ide look to eek some mpg back on the motorway however if its mainly uphill then its about average if its flat i would be a little unsure

at present i filled up with £35.00 of fuel at 139.9 per litre and in total have covered 228 miles and always have 50 miles left in the tank which makes 41.43mpg on a 10 mile journey with stop start for the first 3 miles then 65-70mph the remaining 7 miles some uphill some flat so i dont really get the car that warm it sits for 12 hours then i do the same route return on motorways i can get up to 47mpg it just depends

#28 mobily

mobily

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Around 30 mpg seems quite standard unfortunately for the 1.6 petrol for driving around town.

On a seperate note I e-mailed a local re-mapping company and received the following response. What they are saying seems interesting, but I do have some doubts!

I would advise you that remapping on its own, will not improve your fuel efficiency on this vehicle, it will only improve your BHP by 9 and your torque by 15.

Fuel efficiency can only be gained by having the remap in conjunction with one of our hydrogen-on-demand devices fitted. This way you will achieve the improved performance, reduced emissions and improved fuel efficiency of at least 20%. The customised mapping that we offer alongside the hydrogen system is designed to remove exhaust sensors which prevent the hydrogen from working at its optimum.

The hydrogen product is covered by a 3-year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee. We usually ask for a deposit of £100 to secure the fitting appointment and then we operate a 30 day payment scheme, where you have the option to pay the balance of the full price on the day of the fitting or 30 days later, in line with the 30-day money back guarantee.

The total cost inc VAT is £400.

#29 Msut01

Msut01

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2012

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Iv have just moved from a 1.2 Fiesta to a 1lt Focus.
I never managed more than 32 round town in the Fiesta, max 45 on a long run in Wales. I was so disgusted with this I fitted a Garmin Ecodrive blue tooth device to my engine diagnostic plug. This gave all sorts of info to the sat nav device. It indicated all sorts of wild fuel consumptions and gave an average of 43, however on filling up and calculating the truth was 32 mpg.
My Focus now has a factory fitted consumption indicator which I hope is a bit more accurate. It at least shows me where the fuel is being used most.
I commute through Leeds twice a day, my 7 mile outward run is mainly down hill with light traffic. I purr along at 55 mpg dropping to 28 to rise up a few little hills or accelerate away from lights. Average mpg 44.
The home run Is through heavy congestion, I see the indicator at 5 to 9 mpg for a few meters at a time up a hill 1 mile long,I have two of these on the way home. Takes 30 mins to cover the return 7 miles. Average mpg 24.
This gives an overall of 34 (Ford quote 38 urban for this model). If I can find a flatter route home it will make a massive difference.
My conclusion is two cars cannot be compared unless they use the same route, stop start up any hills kills the mpg.

#30 StanH

StanH

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 187 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 Petrol

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Have to say that I avoid short runs as much as possible (wouldn't think of driving to local shops 10mins walk away) plus I live in a flat part of the country with very few hills. I have no doubt I would do much worse in the Yorkshire Dales.

The 2006 Ghia does not have an instant fuel reading for some reason - is it possible to re-programme to get this?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg, poor, economy, fuel, petrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users