Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg - Your Experiences

mobily

Before I start going into a blind panic about my car being broken, would you guys say a drop from 34mpg on average all year down to 30mpg since this cold spell is normal? I haven't for the last couple of days been able to average more than 29mpg but then I've only been driving in less than 5 degree temps (early morning, late at night)

Sounds normal to me. I've noticed a significant drop in economy with the cold weather, especially when only commuting 4 miles each way in the morning and at night.

I presume you have a 1.6 petrol?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobily

• Pitmonster

• Scoobimax

• NorthSussex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, a 2008 1.8 Petrol.

It's been faultless all year at or around 34mpg, but only recently dropped to 29~30mpg.

Nah, a 2008 1.8 Petrol.

It's been faultless all year at or around 34mpg, but only recently dropped to 29~30mpg.

My 2008 1.8 petrol with 17,000 miles on the clock is still returning 38mpg, but I do have a very light foot and temperatures in Sussex / Hampshire are not quite as low as further North. .

Not more than a 200 mile jou

38mpg is quite good, do you do longer journeys?

Not more than a run of 125 miles every 2 months on A & B roads, other than that it's short runs of less than 10 miles on local country roads, no motorways and very little town driving.

Ok, now even more worried! I'm only getting around 370 to a tank where as I used to be getting somewhere around 410...

why so worried its simply down to the cold the colder it gets the lower the mpg will get

Was last serviced in February at 22.5k at the main dealer just before I bought it, since then I've added 9k, expecting a service light to come on soon (if it has one).

hmmm? not likely to be that then really. Fuel? do you buy the same brand every time? Have you tried different retailers for a couple of tanks? Shouldn't make that much difference but a previous scoob i had had a flat spot that was only cured at the time by Esso hi ron fuel (supreme?) . None of the others (Shell Optimax, BP Ulitmate etc) worked as well.

I'm really sad and only fill up with BP Ultimate. Probably makes no difference to the performance but its what is recommended.

I don't think such a drop is a cause for concern. Currently done 70 miles since last filled and computer showing 27mpg. That's all town driving though. Before the cold snap I would have had 30mpg on the same journey.

Car only has 13,500 miles and was last serviced at 6,500 miles with interim service done at 12,000 miles. Planning on doing a full service at 20,000 miles to check air filter and spark plugs etc.

Driving a 1.8 TDCI on a 08 plate, Regulary getting 42.5 - 45.8 on a regular basis with mostly town driving and the odd spirited run up the motorway, calculated properly with the brim to brim method, expecting to get a bit less now the cold weather is really kicking in, at least my engine is getting some nice healthy cold air now :D

Still holding out over 40 despite a service where the engine was running for quite a while.

However, like stormin' it is flat here in Sussex, I also have a light foot and do several 100 mile round trips

post-36405-0-33679600-1352552315_thumb.j

Driving a 1.8 TDCI on a 08 plate, Regulary getting 42.5 - 45.8 on a regular basis with mostly town driving and the odd spirited run up the motorway, calculated properly with the brim to brim method, expecting to get a bit less now the cold weather is really kicking in, at least my engine is getting some nice healthy cold air now :D

I've noticed that my trip computer has dropped from 50 to 45 mpg now that it's got colder, but the true calculation (filling to the brim) stays at 50

Done this for the last 3 tankfulls now, has anyone else experienced this?

I did a check earlier in the year and my trip computer was accurate to 1%, now the accuracy has dropped to 10%

Worth noting for those who only look at the trip computer fuel economy figures, and never do a manual calculation

Oops - seems like my right foot has been a bit heavy :-o

Last fill 46.94, average 48.56

current MPG showing 31.7 after a trip to Paignton and back at the weekend.