121 replies to this topic

#91 astonnick

astonnick

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Have been debating whether to get a K&N filter for a while, and after reading this decided to just bite the bullet and do it.  Bought a 57S-4000 with new airbox lid (http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4170eaf0ae) and fitted it this morning. 

Haven't really tested it properly yet, but have driven up and down the road a full times and so far the throttle is certainly more responsive, and it makes a very loud whooshing noise on acceleration which I can't tell if it's cool or annoying yet haha. 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#92 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

That the item im looking to buy as well, out of interest did you fit the disc shape pieceon the side?

#93 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,133 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
Contributor

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

Have been debating whether to get a K&N filter for a while, and after reading this decided to just bite the bullet and do it.  Bought a 57S-4000 with new airbox lid (http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4170eaf0ae) and fitted it this morning. 

Haven't really tested it properly yet, but have driven up and down the road a full times and so far the throttle is certainly more responsive, and it makes a very loud whooshing noise on acceleration which I can't tell if it's cool or annoying yet haha. 

Sweet,
Any chance of a video via photobucket or youtube,
I think I'll go for the 57s kit too.

Id also like to find out the dimensions of the replacement induction hose that is supplied with the J1 induction kit,
Its smooth flow inlet pipe mixed with a K&N57S would be as good as it gets for the 1.6TDCi

I've just fitted an EGR blanking plate, helps reduce turbo lag too.
Here is the guide:
http://www.fordowner...-16tdci-engine/

#94 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Contributor

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

that j1 induction kit looks nicer than the k&n kit but i presume you would need the lower half of the air box for the secondary hose unless you drill a hole in there?

i cant find a pic but am i right in sayng that the plastic slam panel is the same in the RS/ST and 1.6? if so then the j1 would simply be direct fit

#95 astonnick

astonnick

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCi

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

That the item im looking to buy as well, out of interest did you fit the disc shape pieceon the side?

Na left that off, assume that's whats causing the noise although I'm learning to quite like it now :)

Sweet,
Any chance of a video via photobucket or youtube,

I'll see what I can do Lenny

#96 luke.grimbley

luke.grimbley

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 169 posts
  • Name: Luke
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Just joined the club:)

IMAG2419.jpg

Can't wait to get it installed..

#97 luke.grimbley

luke.grimbley

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 169 posts
  • Name: Luke
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium 2.0

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

That's it in:)

IMAG2450.jpg

Not had the chance to test it properly yet but I'v noticed better throttle response as well as a bit of a roar. Would recommend.

Luke

#98 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia
  • Year: 2007

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

My 2007 Mk2 has the flat air filter and the air inlet is from below, which looks different from the photos here of the Mk2.5 - would I need to buy a new air box to allow me to fit a conical or cylindrical filter?

Also, seperate question - I have oil seeping at the hose joints between the air box and turbo, and a bit of staining on the filter itself, but not too bad.  I've been told that this shouldn't really happen but a small bit of oil like this isn't a problem.  What are your thoughts on this?  Logically, I would have thought that the air flow from filter towards the turbo shouldn't let this happen, but it clearly is. It has been like this since the first time I openned the bonnet about 80,000 miles ago and I tend to clean it with a rag whenever I do an oil change.  I guess I should change the air filter more often than normal to keep up performance and air flow.  Should I be worried?

#99 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,133 posts
Contributor

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

My 2007 Mk2 has the flat air filter and the air inlet is from below, which looks different from the photos here of the Mk2.5 - would I need to buy a new air box to allow me to fit a conical or cylindrical filter?

Hi V,
To answer your question mate,
Yes you would need to change your induction box and possibly the rubber induction feed to fit the new air box that takes the cyndrical style induction filter.
However you can purchase a panel filter from Green Cotton Induction to fit your existing air box,
There's no difference in performance between the panel filter and cylindrical type in fact my new project car runs 160bhp from the factory and its fitted with a panel filter induction box. What I'm trying to say is; the panel filter style induction box's don't harness loss in power compared to the cylindrical type so I personally wouldnt bother changing it.

Also, I have oil seeping at the hose joints between the air box and turbo, and a bit of staining on the filter itself, but not too bad.  I've been told that this shouldn't really happen but a small bit of oil like this isn't a problem.  What are your thoughts on this?  Logically, I would have thought that the air flow from filter towards the turbo shouldn't let this happen, but it clearly is. It has been like this since the first time I openned the bonnet about 80,000 miles ago and I tend to clean it with a rag whenever I do an oil change.  I guess I should change the air filter more often than normal to keep up performance and air flow.  Should I be worried?

That hose that is between your air box and turbo is called "oil breather pipe"
It basically runs from the crank case to your induction pipe,
Its purpose is to dump excess oil out of the engine and in to your induction where it will be incinerated as part of the combustion.

Now that's how it works but its not ideal to be honest.
Diesel induction systems are designed to suck in clean DRY air only.
And when I say dry; I mean oil free aswell as moisture free,

I recommend you purchase an oil catch tank from ebay,
take the car off the road for 24 hours
Carefully remove the induction system including rubber hose feeding to the turbo,
Consult your local motor factors for some sort of cleanng agen that removes oil but doesnt damage rubber.
WD-40 perhaps but it turs your rubber a smoky white.

Anyways
Clean the whole induction system then store it in the house until its bone dry,
Followed by refitting to your car.

Now ill explain what the oil catch tank does and how to fit,
Th oil catch tank has a two pipes on the top
Inlet pipe
Outlet pipe
It also comes with some hose,

The hose coming from the engine goes to the inlet port on the catch tank,
Then the outlet connects to the existing hose on your induction hose.

The induction system will then remain clean because any oil from the crank case will drop in to he oil catch tank instead of contmnating your induction system casing harm to your turbo and eventually leading to turbo failure if not treated.

You may wish to consult your motorfactors for a diesel turb cleaner,
Generally an aerosol spray,
It will clean the fins on the induction turbine this will also help your engnes throttle response because it will suck better after the oil has been cleaned.

Finally then,
To complete the clensing,
I recommend you purchase a can of wynne's engine flush fr diesel engines.
It costs less than 8euro a can in halfords,
It helps break down the carbon lumps inside your engine oil,
Put it in 20 minutes before drainng the oil,
It will clean the turbo oil feed vain helping to prolong its life aswell.

Thanks for reading and im glad you got in touch to address these issues mate,
Its early days so we can treat the small issue before it grows to somthing more serious.

Also see my guide on EGR blanking the 1.6TDCi that will also prolong your turbo's life
See here: http://www.fordowner...-16tdci-engine/

#100 south_bound

south_bound

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia
  • Year: 2007

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Lenny for a very comprehensive reply.  I'll look into all this as soon as time allows.  I have read somewhere that the dpf and/or egr can lead to dumping unburnt diesel into the oil sump, or something like that.   I'll do as you suggest to clean up the hoses and induction system, and see if it is still happening.  I have bought some stp engine flush ready for the next oil change - I guess this does the same as the Wynns you mention?  And thanks as well for the egr blanking guide - its after reading it that I decided to go ahead and do this job.

#101 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

recently installed this air filter and well impressed with the results, much smoother gong through the revs now not so much difference in noise (may have my music too loud haha)

well worth the buy

#102 Dee_82

Dee_82

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 396 posts
  • Name: Darren
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

quick question guys, I was just about ready to follow this guide an buy one of these when I whipped off the airbox cover and had a peek inside, the filter was id say 95% good as new, bar a couple of leaves which I removed it was in almost mint condition, so my question is, would it still be worth the upgrade? im about to blank off the EGR as well but if its only a marginal improvement over its clean original is it really worth it?

#103 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,133 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

quick question guys, I was just about ready to follow this guide an buy one of these when I whipped off the airbox cover and had a peek inside, the filter was id say 95% good as new, bar a couple of leaves which I removed it was in almost mint condition, so my question is, would it still be worth the upgrade? im about to blank off the EGR as well but if its only a marginal improvement over its clean original is it really worth it?

in any case the green filter offers a greater flow over stock,
As you can see in the comparison images on the first page of the thread

#104 bry0586

bry0586

Feet Under The Table

• Members via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Name: Bryan
  • Ford Model: focus1.6 tdci sport
  • Year: 2006

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

im sure my airbox is different than this and  if im mistaken lenny isn't this a 1.6 tdci??

#105 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 10,133 posts
Contributor

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

im sure my airbox is different than this and  if im mistaken lenny isn't this a 1.6 tdci??

Yes it is a 1.6TDCi DV6 Euro 5
however
Mk2 1.6TDCi also came with a different airbox that takes a panel filter instead of the cyndrical shape,
Green manufactute for both model designs and gurantee an increase over stock.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Green Performance, K&N, Induction filter, Green Filter, Diesel Performance, Upgrade Filter, Changing filter 1.6tdci focus, TDC performance, priracing.com, Green Cotton Performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users