ST-2 Mod

• Super Mod
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name: Nathan
  • Ford Model: Molten Orange Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013
Contributor

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Best response on this forum, will have to favourite this as I feel I'll be linking back to it a lot every time someone moans about insurance!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2012

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

I didnt even touch on the "Well what do I pay insurance for?!" types ;)

#18 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:56 AM

I'm 23 in november, passed my test at 17, did my pass plus. Driving an 05 plate mk2 focus 1.6. Technically this is my first car and I've had it 6months so no no claims bonus yet. On paper a new driver but I've been driving pretty much the whole time as my old work provided company and hire cars so I was driving a different car every week n working all over the country so never at home. Hence never needing my own car till now and not having my own ncb. So like I said on paper my first car and a new driver, even though I've been driving nearly 5years, covered countless motorway miles as well as drove round pretty much every town n city in the country (this obviously wont matter to an insurer). Live in a semi rough area like everyone else and the car is parked on a private driveway overnight. I'm actually one of these rare people that actually doesn't speed and doesn't go over 69 on the motorway unless overtaking hgv's. Actually a very careful driver due to having the Missus in passenger seat most of the time. What would you say is a rough yearly premium for me mate?

#19 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Apologies for the lengthy post ;)

#20 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

The devices record excessive lateral g forces and rapid forward and reverse movement indicating swerving or braking/accelerating hard.
We have them fitted to our work vehicles connected to tracking units and are downloadable in the case of accidents.
Seeing as most of my work driving involves high speeds and heavy driving I'm surprised my unit hasn't blown a fuse by now.

#21 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

What would you say is a rough yearly premium for me mate?

Unfortunately its is 100% impossible to give you an answer that would be accurate.
Premium takes into account some of the following

Make
Model
Engine size
Mods
Home address
Address of where it is kept (if different)
How vehicle is stored
What security there is on the vehicle
What you will be using it for (SD+P, Class 1, COOG)
If you've had any previous accidents coming up on the Claims Underwriting Exchange (CUE)
If you've had any convictions

Any one of these variables could severely increase or decrease the premium.

#22 Bower

Bower

Bower

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta Mk7

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Got the admiral insurance without the telematics box today...

I decided that I am grown up enough so that no one would look over my shoulder and see how much I press the gas pedal...

Ended up paying only 60 quid more, just had to increase the voluntary access.

I kinda liked the idea of telematics box, but the fact that they monitor what time of day you drive is just simply ridiculous.

If I drive at night, it doesn't mean that I am going sideways with a hand on the hanbrake at 100 mph racing another kid. Maybe I just like to put some calming r'n'b music on volume 4 at 00:30 and simply go to see a girl who lives at the other side of the town.

Got a bit emotional there :D

Anyways, thanks for advice guys!

#23 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

A bit of a departure from the main theme but slightly relevant.
A few years ago I had an old car I got from a friend, rang for an insurance quote and was asked about security devices.
I told them it had an after market alarm and they asked if it was thatcham approved.
I told them I didn't know and was advised that to received security device discount on my policy they would have to send someone to inspect the alarm at a cost to me of 80.
I asked them what the annual alarm discount on the policy would be and they informed me it was------5.
Suffice to say I politely declined the alarm discount.

#24 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

If I drive at night, it doesn't mean that I am going sideways with a hand on the hanbrake at 100 mph racing another kid. Maybe I just like to put some calming r'n'b music on volume 4 at 00:30 and simply go to see a girl who lives at the other side of the town.

You might not do, but there are a lot of people who do ;)

#25 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,404 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

Where do people like me who work shifts stand with a box n a curfew restricting them from driving at night, if they have to drive at night when working a night shift for instance?

#26 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Funny enough we were talking about this with friends less than an hour ago.

His son has a 05 Corsa (sorry!) and is paying about £2.5k insurance, the telematic box is fitted and yes there are drawbacks, the car cannot be moved beteen 11pm and 6am (regardless of driver is the insurance co assume its his son), and it tells the insurance company your data.

His son has an online dashboard of his driving style, and as long as he stays in the green (ie drives within the limits and steadily) every 3 months the insurance comes down, and he just had a cashback of £40 for the last quarter. Drive like a fool and if it goes to amber the premium stays as it is, go to the red and it goes up.

Leaving aside who has the data is is teaching his son how to drive without screaming around all the time, he knows his son is not wheel spiinning in the local car parks and the insurance comes down, complete win for them.

#27 jimrex

jimrex

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 565 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: 2011 Mk3 Focus, 2009 Mk7 Fiesta
  • Year: 2011

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Leaving aside who has the data is is teaching his son how to drive without screaming around all the time, he knows his son is not wheel spiinning in the local car parks and the insurance comes down, complete win for them.

I guess that's one advantage for parents... you know your son/daughter is driving safely and not bombing about like a loon. Peace of mind and all...

Not sure if I'd just passed my test I'd like them knowing my every move though!

#28 GJC

GJC

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Name: Gavin
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Econetic
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Not sure if I'd just passed my test I'd like them knowing my every move though!

The display doesn't show where he's been just if he's been driving excessivly fast or outside the set hours.

#29 Mathrin

Mathrin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Bringing it up from the dead, but I now handle Telematics box claims at work, if anyone has any questions on data, what it does and doesn't do etc, feel free to ask.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users