Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Fuels Do You Use?

b1g_dav3

Hey guys, was wondering what fuel's you guys all use?

Had a pretty crappy experience with Tesco fuel last 2 fill-ups, down on power, down on mpg and wasn't very impressed (only used a second time due to fuel vouchers), usually used Esso or Tesco but after the bad experience what do you guys tend to use?

Either fuel can be discussed, as I'd expect a good petrol will make for a good diesel and vice versa, but state which to keep confusion down :P

Tesco: Diesel 140.9 with 5p a litre off, so was about £50 - got 48.2mpg first tank and 48.1 second tank (computer was 0.2mpg off both times so not bad there) which is kind of... crap.

I always stick to the branded fuels, Shell, texaco, esso, bp, etc. Never had a problem

Vpower isn't worth the extra and I will never touch supermarket "city diesel", after my dad's fuel pump corroded from the inside out because of it.

Been using tesco now for awhile just cause of the ease of where its at, next time i fill up going to start using Bp ultimate and see what difference i can feel.

I use Shell - have had over 65mpg and in Milton Keynes it's usually within a penny or 2 of Asda ;)

I did do an experiment with 10 tanks standard Shell & 10 tanks V-Power diesel - my results = no noticeable difference.

Hey guys, was wondering what fuel's you guys all use?

Had a pretty crappy experience with Tesco fuel last 2 fill-ups, down on power, down on mpg and wasn't very impressed (only used a second time due to fuel vouchers), usually used Esso or Tesco but after the bad experience what do you guys tend to use?

Either fuel can be discussed, as I'd expect a good petrol will make for a good diesel and vice versa, but state which to keep confusion down :P

Tesco: Diesel 140.9 with 5p a litre off, so was about £50 - got 48.2mpg first tank and 48.1 second tank (computer was 0.2mpg off both times so not bad there) which is kind of... crap.

I have always filled up at tesco an now I'm paying the price for it I have a 1.6tdci and am getting 47 mpg am now only filling up with brand fuels but the damage may already be done

I have always filled up at tesco an now I'm paying the price for it I have a 1.6tdci and am getting 47 mpg am now only filling up with brand fuels but the damage may already be done

I've probably asked you before, but what sort of length journeys do you have and what sort of roads?

I have a 2 mile commute 4 times a day (I know I could walk but its been cold and wet, haha) I boot it on most occasions, I have used Shell for the last 6 months or more and I get about 46mpg.

I put BP Ultimate in today at 159.9 hoping the additives will give my car a bit of a clearing out and a clean, not noticed any power differences like often claimed, but then again I did drive very eco on the way back home which will have had some effect, instantly up at 64.9 mpg on the trip.

Any but will go for Shell/Esso if I can get it as I seem to get more MPG.

Yeah, I think I'll go back to Esso. Just using BP at the moment because I want a good clean out. Not too sure on paying 160 a litre too often :P

I've probably asked you before, but what sort of length journeys do you have and what sort of roads?

I have a 2 mile commute 4 times a day (I know I could walk but its been cold and wet, haha) I boot it on most occasions, I have used Shell for the last 6 months or more and I get about 46mpg.

25 miles twice a day a+b roads 60 for most of the journey

I've been using Morrisons petrol normal a lot, I was trying the high octane Texaco but I think it made my car jerky? Hmm, I didn't know the supermarket diesel fuels were bad! Maybe I'll try brand names only, trouble is the Morrisons is on my way to work and open most of the time, the Shell I also pass just down the road from it is only open till like 6PM or something daft. But I think it's open early in the mornings.

Do the cars run ok on supermarket petrol or can that damage the engines too?

This seems daft, as I'm sure What Car or Auto Express did a piece on branded vs supermarket fuel - and end result, if your car (petrol) states it takes 95 octane - that's what it requires and any more octane (as used in the more expensive fuels) wouldn't make a difference what so ever.

all garages have to abide by UK fuel laws and they all have to meet the same standards.I also read somewhere that all the petrol stations get the fuel from the same depo. I've heard some crap about Asda watering down the petrol, that would probably be illegal and I am guessing is pure BS.

I have used Tesco and Morrisons 95ron fuel in all my cars (and Tesco 99ron in my Focus ST) and have never encountered a problem. Get fuel from wherever is cheapest or most convenient as it makes very little difference and don't bother with the high octane fuel unless your car is mapped for it.

If it really does make a difference you also have to consider how long you'll have the car... I always buy new and get rid after 2-3 years and 20k-30k miles. I don't really care if the engine internals are a bit dirty cos I didnt use Shell's super-duper petrol with engine cleaner. At trade-in time the salesman is never going to ask what fuel it has been run on.

Well, I put in 38.72 litres today which was VERY nearly a full tank, the needle was just above empty. I actually compared prices today too, the Shell I drive right pass to work was 139.9 and the Morrisons which is kind of down the road from the Shell, have to take a half mile or so detour to it, was 137.9 so I filled up at Shell as the saving from Morrisons is 78 pence. Nothing for a full tank. These are prices for the standard 95RON fuel. The Shell V Power I think was 145.9

And immedietly the car feels smoother. That's what you pay for, brand names do not cause problems and run better I think. I will need to use it for a while to see for sure but the Shell is my most conveniant anyway by far. Also I keep my cars for longer then three years apart from I'll get an ST next year, and petrol stations do NOT get the fuel all from the same place, for instance when I was trying the Texaco high octane the garage near work sold it, the one in the town I go shopping in didn't for a while because the wuality of it was too poor. I would never trust Tesco fuel as I've heard horror story's about it and not on the internet.

And as for high octane making no difference, here's what Fifth Gear said very recently:

I would conclude the higher power fuels are not worth it, but then again Fifth Gear only did limited testing, if you ran say an ST Focus or RS permanently on V Power it may make quite a difference, but for my Zetec S probably not. And I would never put anything else in a Ferrari etc if I had one.

Definitely noticed a difference with the BP Ultimate, much more responsive and got more power, pulls strong and smooth into top RPM's. Shame it's now gone for major surgery and I'm left with a gutless petrol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club