• Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Why are they limited ???

How is this limiter removed or altered

Jamie

I think they are limited to make it easier and safer for the law to stop you since its not much over the national speed limits.
But most good tuning company's advertise speed limit removal, most modern cars can be done via the ecu to set the limit to a higher point.
But complete removal may allow the revs to redline which isint good neither so the limit would need to be set to a point that is good for the revs and the engine, which any good tuning company with a dyno rolling road could perform.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 btmaldon

btmaldon

Ford Enthusiast

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,512 posts
  • Name: Bruce
  • Ford Model: BMW 320i Coupe M Sport
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think they are limited to make it easier and safer for the law to stop you since its not much over the national speed limits.

116mph is nearly 66% over the national speed limit and an instant ban if collared.

I once did 150mph on a bike accidently and 125mph in a car on the M25 and nearly pood myself when I realised what I was doing. To be fair I had just done a 5 hour kart race in Kent for charity when I was speeding in my Sylvia Turbo back in the 80's. I thought I was doing the speed limit at the time but had got used to the karts which felt like you were doing 150.

Point is you cant do those speeds on our roads especially as you are so likely to get knicked these days. So what is the point of getting your car do 120mph if you are not a pursuit trained Police Officer in a Police car. Unless your a getaway driver for the local firm.

#18 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,453 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

116mph is nearly 66% over the national speed limit and an instant ban if collared.

I once did 150mph on a bike accidently and 125mph in a car on the M25 and nearly pood myself when I realised what I was doing. To be fair I had just done a 5 hour kart race in Kent for charity when I was speeding in my Sylvia Turbo back in the 80's. I thought I was doing the speed limit at the time but had got used to the karts which felt like you were doing 150.

Point is you cant do those speeds on our roads especially as you are so likely to get knicked these days. So what is the point of getting your car do 120mph if you are not a pursuit trained Police Officer in a Police car. Unless your a getaway driver for the local firm.

Very true. Anything over 100mph here is a ban

#19 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,817 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I am a pursuit trained Officer and even then I don't take driving at 100+ lightly.
I'm quite happy stooging around at 70-75.

#20 grahamp

grahamp

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Name: graham
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.6TDCi
  • Year: 2008

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

I really wish the speed awareness course was rolled into the driving test.

#21 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,817 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

I really wish the speed awareness course was rolled into the driving test.

I totally agree, four hours of pointing out the reasons why excessive speed is so dangerous would be of great benefit.
I had to do one recently for 40 in a 30 zone, bang to rights with no excuse and I learned a fair bit.
Shame the course is only available if you're caught going too schnell.

#22 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,086 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

sadly guys it wont make a difference they all want to drive fast without a clue or experience my dad made me to a skid pan course and extreme condition course after i passed my test and i learned a lot from it even the speed course shows it has nothing to do with top speed or bhp its weather you can drive smoothly and consistantly and read the road ahead in advance account for conditions and weather and know the limits of youreslf and the car.
at 116mph even a gust of sidewind is enough to lose it

i knew a 18yr old who was bought a bmw e36 by mum and dad 6wks later he and 3 passengers died hitting a tree head on cause taking a bend too fast and inexperience driving especially at speed

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users