Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Osram 'cool Blue Intense' Bulbs

jordan_macgregor

Hi,

today i fnally got my new 'Cool Blue Intense' bulbs fitted, however when i went out at night and used my headlights for the first time, the new bulbs are projecting a funny pattern, i have attached a pic so you can see what i mean because i cant really describe it, i was just wondering if it was a simple case of adjusting the alignment bolts on the headlight assy - or i ont know, this mght be totally normal, although i doesnt look it - see what yous think -

post-15199-0-84861100-1349639797_thumb.j

Hi mate,

Your photo doesn't appear to be showing, maybe try linking it again?

I have the same bulbs fitted and the seem to be projecting just fine. Maybe take your headlight back out and ensure you fitted them correctly and the right way round? Failing that, yes try adjusting the alignment bolts. Or better yet take your car to a garage to get them aligned properly if you can't yourself.

I'm sure i fitted them the right way round - i dont know how ou could get it wrong to be honest, here's the link to the photo,

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4346

Some how the photo's showing up in the first post now

Hmm I'm not sure mate, dunno how someone could ge it wrong n fit em wrong way round either but I've known people do it before.

Maybe just try aligning them properly. Some people say whenever you change the bulbs you need to take car to a garage to get em aligned. Mine seem to be fine though and I haven't had anyone flash me so I know I've not been blinding any body

Funnily enough they didnt seem to be as bad when i was driving to work this morning - i'll try and use the alignment bolts after work tonight and see how we go from there

Adjusting the alignment bolts won't affect the pattern, it will just project it in a different place. If the pattern is wrong it has to be because the bulb filament is wrongly positioned relative to the reflector. Make sure the bulbs are seated correctly. Check the mounting flanges aren't distorted and that nothing has got between the flange and the seating.

If it helps, when I changed my bulbs to philips xtreme ones, the pattern was that off that I convinced myself that I must've put the bulb in upside down despite the fact there is the little lug that fits into the cut out to stop you from doing so. When I opened them back up again to check the bulbs were the right way round but I noticed that the base of the bulb was not butted up against the holder as tight as it could be. I originally plugged the bulb into the electrical connector and then tried to push that onto the bulb holder itself but no matter how hard I tried to push it on I couldnt get the bulb to seat correctly. Then I disconnected the bulb from the wires and put it in the holder first so I knew it was as tight and as far forward into the headlight as possible and THEN put the electrical connector on the back. When I done this the light pattern was a million times better. Infact, before it was very much like your pic, so perhaps it is that the bulbs are just not seated correctly. Hope this helps.

If it helps, when I changed my bulbs to philips xtreme ones, the pattern was that off that I convinced myself that I must've put the bulb in upside down despite the fact there is the little lug that fits into the cut out to stop you from doing so. When I opened them back up again to check the bulbs were the right way round but I noticed that the base of the bulb was not butted up against the holder as....

Ahhh...thanks for that, i did think that i was clutching at straws with the alignment bolts, hopefully its dry when i get home from work tomorrow so i can investigate!

let us know how you get on mate, hopefully what i said makes sense

Yes mate let us know how you get one. I was gonna suggest pretty much the same thing but I've had a right nightmare of a day n only just got on thee forums n saw it's already been suggested lol.

Yes mate let us know how you get one. I was gonna suggest pretty much the same thing but I've had a right nightmare of a day n only just got on thee forums n saw it's already been suggested lol.

No worries mate, did you get my link in the other topic to the air filter...?

I will let you all know how i get on, lets just hope its another dry/sunny day tomorrow eh?! (and that it lasts until 1730!!)

Yes mate got your link, we need different filters though cause we have different mk's

Dry/sunny? Where you been mate lol? I had to drive in a tsunami today lol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

i finally got a chance to get at it again, my dad has a Torx tool kit in his car and i kept asking him for a shot but only got it this weekend, i took the bulb out and put it back in - the funny thing is - the clip on the passenger side works the opposite of the drivers side [i think somethings not quite right here] instead of pushing the clip on the holder inwards to secure it, that pops its out.

On the drivers side, and in the Haynes manual, the clip is supposed to be pulled away from the holder to release it....anyway, when i got the bulb back in it looks a wee bit better than the picture i posted, but still projects a slight 'v' on the ground, im beginning to think its the bulb, the only thing is, when i fitted it again yesterday, i didnt do as someone previously said and put the bulb in its slot first, then put the holder on at the back of it...oops...

It is lookking slighlty better so im quite happy, but if i happen to get a shot of the Torx kit again, i'll do as suggested...

Sorry to waffle on...

This happened after I changed my bulbs (the second time) and yes embarrassingly put them in upside down don't know how I did but it was the only way they would go in but most importantly they produced the same pattern as the picture you posted