Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Went Through A Puddle......bad Idea!

DaveRushton

Hey guys, so i was driving to my parents house in the country and there was a mahoosive puddle... i went through at an average speed, and when i finished my wipers didnt work, fog ligts were dead, washers were dead so were the heaters/fans windscreen heaters and rear....oh and apparantly the bonnet is open to......

I left it a day and nearly everything started to work again, just now i have no temperature readout and the red snowflake is always there.....also when i drive fast apparantly my bonnet is open :/

Hope that made sense.

Leave it dry properly somewhere, bonnet open. Obviously sensors of some sort have been shocked.. Spray a bit of WD40 under the bonnet too.

It has been 2 days so far.......really annoying, wonder if ford will take a look through the warranty!

jeez that must of been flipping deep and i've been through some deepish ones and survived

wasnt that deep realy, someone else had just gone through it so it was ok!

I went through a !Removed! deep puddle today, luckily no damage, but for the noise it made you'd of thought it ripped my wheel n wing clean off. Looked over thinking !Removed! hell what was that thinking I'd some how gone up a massive kerb when I was nowhere near it, all I saw is a wall of water high as the car.

It's when it gets right into the air intake and fuse box that the problems really get bad.

Mmmmm not to sure how bad it is, alarm kept going off today annoying as hell!

Must of been high enough to reach your electrics in the engine bay surely. Sounds like its a slow and annoying process of just letting it dry out

Blow the fuse box out well with an air line, and fire a plenty of electrical contact cleaner in there as well to disperse the water......you'll be surprised how long it'll take to dry out and could cause other problems.......do the same with all the electrical connectors in the engine bay.

I may take it in to ford to look at, it still has warranty......got Green flag coming out atm since the alarm is going off contantly, but i think thats to do with the car saying the bonnet is open etc when driving along!

I may take it in to ford to look at, it still has warranty......got Green flag coming out atm since the alarm is going off contantly, but i think thats to do with the car saying the bonnet is open etc when driving along!

I had a similar fault on a Mondeo, it turned out to be the bonnet alarm switch making a poor connection due to the rubber cap on the top of the switch perishing.

Job done now, loose plug :/

Just spotted it in your other post. <_<

My dad had same problem in his c-max, it turned out to be one of the micro switches which then threw out the alarm and the bonnet indicator, fairly cheap fix though

on the 2.0 TDCi not sure about other models.. really a deep puddle shouldnt effect it at all, the intake pipe is at the top, underneath the plastic trim that goes accross the middle of the slam panel... so you would need only about.2 1/2 feet deep of water before that becomes a problem, as its all sealed pretty well, the pipe coming out of the airbox to turbo is screwed against the airbox and seals from the round rubber seal on the air fillter.

The fusebox also has a rubber seal around the top cover which is compressed when clipped down.. where the cables go in and out they also have rubber grommets which seal under pressure, as does engine ECU casing, ECU connectors also have this white waterproof stuff inside them and ECU is watertight also.

So really its pretty watertight... Jeremy Clarkson tested this on a fiesta, he drove it off an army personell carier, through about 2-3ft of sea water up onto the beach... was a stunt he did for top gear.

6 minutes 20 seconds in it starts.

Also, on the 2.0 TDCi.. again dunno about other models it has the engine undercover, so in theory if you approach a deep puddle and carry on moving at slow constant pace it will form a bow wave like what they do with off road vehicles.

So if the puddle was quite deep you must of hit it quite fast, too fast and the pressure of the water was probably like hitting a brick wall and forced things which arent designed to be forced

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club