Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Model Fiesta....but Which To Go For??

Bulletguy

I'm considering replacing my 02 reg 1.8 petrol Focus with a Fiesta (current shape). But which one is best to go for?

Not particularly bothered whether it's 3 door or 5 door as there is only myself to worry about.

I will go for the diesel but which is the best engine and model type? For example, what is the difference between the TDCi Zetec and the TDCi Econetic?

Give it til the new model's are not far off coming in and go for a Titanium, should have plenty of toys and/or have a decent price drop if you're not in a rush.

Good point.......but what for example does the Titanium have that the others don't?

One of these caught my eye on AutoTrader recently which was in a nice metallic red colour. But a very !Removed! interior with salmon pink dashboard just wasn't for me!

Chrome trim's on the outside, cruise control, climate control, etc. Some have toys on, some don't; just a case of sifting through.

I'm considering replacing my 02 reg 1.8 petrol Focus with a Fiesta (current shape). But which one is best to go for?

Not particularly bothered whether it's 3 door or 5 door as there is only myself to worry about.

I will go for the diesel but which is the best engine and model type? For example, what is the difference between the TDCi Zetec and the TDCi Econetic?

Depending on your mileage why not wait and go for an ecoboost petrol fiesta or focus all the perks of a diesel without the price hike on fuel

My annual mileage is relatively low now as i'm retired plus I also run a Motorhome.

My son and grandson live in London which for me is a 350 mile round trip and as long as I remain physically capable to drive distances (just spent three months touring East Europe in my Motorhome), i'd like to be able to visit more often. My Focus returns around 38mpg driven carefully but, like me, is getting pretty old now!

I like the new shape Focus but if I go for one it will no doubt be the last car I buy. Whilst diesel fuel is a couple of pence dearer than petrol, I think it's a better choice engine should I ever find the need to sell. It's just knowing what you get with which model etc. As for this 'ecoboost'........never heard of it so what is that!!?

Take a look here at the current Fiesta range - gives you an idea of the trim levels offered, though if you are looking at second hand ones be aware that there have been a few small amendments since the car was launched in 2008.

All depends what you want from the car. I used to have a Fiesta Zetec from new, and chose it because it was reasonably priced, came with some decent standard kit and the 1.25 engine was perfect for the mainly town driving I was doing at the time. The diesels are great for longer journies and economy (hence my switch to diesel in my Focus when I started driving more for work), but not worth it unless you are doing more than 12-15k + miles a year. Titanium is packed with standard kit, so if you can find a reasonably priced one you'll get a great motor (don't be put off by that pink colour dash, it was an option, most will be grey/black).

The facelift model is coming in early 2013, so if you can hold off for a bit the prices will tumble... you'll probably even be able to haggle more off a brand new current shape one in the lead up to the launch of the facelift ;)

As for this 'ecoboost'........never heard of it so what is that!!?

Ecoboosts are small displacement turbocharged petrol engines which are designed to give the same power as a naurally aspirated engine with better efficiency. Essentially you get a three cylinder, 1 litre turbocharged engine giving comparable performance figures to a normal 1.6 with much improved running costs. It is currently available in the Focus, and is coming in the facelift Fiesta and new Mondeo. I reckon it'll eventually be way all manufacturers go with their engines, when the technology is established and common-place.

Try sitting in both - the doors on the 3 door are long which puts the seat belt a long way back - it could easilly become difficult to reach that far back as you get older.

I bought a Titanium Econetic 5-door about 3 months back as a 3rd vehicle aimed at economy as I cover a fairly high mileage each year. I drive it reasonably gently (~60mph on the motorway) and have averaged 71mpg over 7000m since I got the vehicle - seems to have dropped to high 60's in the past few days as the weather has cooled down - probably the cold starts (heated windows front & rear etc) on my 12m each way commute to work.

Thanks for the info chaps.....excellent.

Holding off till early next year is no problem, especially as I like the prospect of "tumbling prices"!

You say its probably your last car. Then the diesel probably wont work out as worthwhile.

It takes on average 3 years to work back the diesel cost on average miles (10K)

so if you are going to get a Diesel unless you are talking like the length you had the focus it may not be worth it.

For me the Fiestas are probably a little quicker than average though as the Diesels get mid 50s to low 60s where as the petrol I had was diabolical getting less than your Focus does driven carefully so tbh the diesel may be a clever choice.

For me I didnt buy a diesel (got a C4 now) as the difference in petrol to diesel per litre actually made up the gap between the mpg as the petrol manages around 50 on the motorway and the diesel about 58-60.

Town is the killer though diesel was around 42 and the petrol more like 35. But over a year I think it worked out as about a £100 saving (plus the tax saving of £140) it would take me a while as the Diesel cost an extra £1500.

Reason I said "possibly my last car" was maybe a bit of a fatalistic view but also trying to look at my situation realistically.

I'm over 62 now and assuming I hang back a bit and wait until next year, I will be approaching 63. As long as I can drive I will drive and would like to think I will still be around and physically capable at 70. So that would be seven years which isn't a long time. Believe me.....as you get older the years simply whizz by.....you wonder where they went!!

In the past i've driven long distances between Switzerland to UK, which I often did in one day, and also Germany. Often used to drive over to Belgium and back in a day. But I can't do that now. Driving down to my sons in London (170 miles) is about my 'max' for an easy drive. The last three months i've spent touring Europe in my Motorhome and the most I drove in a day was 250 miles but would try to set lesser distances. I don't want to be driving long hours any more....I don't need to.

However I would like to be able to visit my Grandson more often than I do and the first 'new' Fiesta I saw, I liked everything about it. I've never really been a fan of big cars having spent my car 'tinkering' years building and modifying Mini Coopers. So I like small cars.

The low tax and high mpg figure of the Diesel Fiesta appeals for obvious reasons. During my last tour I travelled through nine European countries and by far the most expensive fuel is right here in the UK (Austria I filled up at £1.25 a litre, Poland £1.07, Bulgaria £1.05 and so on). So 60 (or more) mpg is very appealing!

I figure if I buy 'the right model', 1) it should last me at least seven or eight years and 2) if I have to sell, i'd still get a relatively decent price. I wouldn't be buying new.....i've always bought in the used market cash outright.

Hope this has given a clearer view?

Reason I said "possibly my last car" was maybe a bit of a fatalistic view but also trying to look at my situation realistically.

I'm over 62 now and assuming I hang back a bit and wait until next year, I will be approaching 63. As long as I can drive I will drive and would like to think I will still be around and physically capable at 70. So that would be seven years which isn't a long time. Believe me.....as you get older the years simply whizz by.....you wonder where they went!!

In the past i've driven long distances between Switzerland to UK, which I often did in one day, and also Germany. Often used to drive over to Belgium and back in a day. But I can't do that now. Driving down to my sons in London (170 miles) is about my 'max' for an easy drive. The last three months i've spent touring Europe in my Motorhome and the most I drove in a day was 250 miles but would try to set lesser distances. I don't want to be driving long hours any more....I don't need to.

However I would like to be able to visit my Grandson more often than I do and the first 'new' Fiesta I saw, I liked everything about it. I've never really been a fan of big cars having spent my car 'tinkering' years building and modifying Mini Coopers. So I like small cars.

The low tax and high mpg figure of the Diesel Fiesta appeals for obvious reasons. During my last tour I travelled through nine European countries and by far the most expensive fuel is right here in the UK (Austria I filled up at £1.25 a litre, Poland £1.07, Bulgaria £1.05 and so on). So 60 (or more) mpg is very appealing!

I figure if I buy 'the right model', 1) it should last me at least seven or eight years and 2) if I have to sell, i'd still get a relatively decent price. I wouldn't be buying new.....i've always bought in the used market cash outright.

Yep get a 1.6 TDCi Titanium. The high spec is the best one for getting your money back you could even get an auto and i think you might get cruise control standard on them or at least at little extra cost due to the high spec. With the cruise control its going to make your life much easier on those long journeys to London and I worked for Fiat and owned a Clio after my Fiesta and Ive driven 207s the new 208 and the Jazz and for comfort the Fiesta is way out front.

If you can afford the 1.6 TDCi Titanium then Treat yourself. Plus those Diesel engines are superbly built down in Dagenham (or were til recently I think they still are they were definitely engineered there) and they go forever. My grandad had that same 1.6 TDCi engine in his Picasso and it did 85000 miles with nothing needing changing except the turbo casing fell off (not the actual turbo itself a protector on top I dont fully understand Im not good with mechanicals) but I know its superb and it was so good hes on his 3rd one now.

If you want that sort of size car you will not beat a Fiesta and this comes from someone who had a bad experience with one. The Jazz might last longer but theyre not so good on fuel so Id say get the Fiesta. If someone came to me and said "heres £15000 buy any car you can with it but it must be new" Even though some would be left over the Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium would be the car I'd pick 100%

Yep get a 1.6 TDCi Titanium. The high spec is the best one for getting your money back you could even get an auto

Autos are only available on the 1.4 petrol though. I think Ford missed a trick by not having a diesel auto tbh.

Autos are only available on the 1.4 petrol though. I think Ford missed a trick by not having a diesel auto tbh.

Oh really? That's silly. Ah we'll everything else still stands ha