Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 2012 Angel Eye Led Drl Fog Spot

davefc

I am thinking about changing my fog lights to Angle Eye Led DRL lights, available off eBay. They would look so cool but i'm not that mechanically minded.

Has anybody tried this sort of upgrade on the new shape focus and is it straight forward? (i doubt it).

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150911736433?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

That is gonna look really cool bud hope it works out but technology wise I'm as useful as a chocolate teapot

Upgrade should be straight forward , as long as the diameter of the lights are the same as the fog lights it should be fine , you will probably have to rewire the Fog light connector to match the new lights but still a small problem , and if they are a good fit then they will look very nice.

Have you tried this yet. Getting my MK3 TIT in about 3 weeks or so, already pre-empting what I want to change!

Modifying fog lights to drl lights is illegal as of 2011.

If they were fitted as fog lights they must remain as fog lights.

Sorry.

Ah thanks for the heads up Stoney. Pleased someone has their finger on the pulse. Saved my self a few quid there. Interestingly on the June 12 Focus price list they have this option; Nolden Daytime Running Lights (Gloss Black/Matt) 1746357/1746355 £310.00/280.00 I suppose they go in the Extra traingular grills?

i nearly went for these on the mk2 cheers for the heads up stoney

Modifying fog lights to drl lights is illegal as of 2011.

If they were fitted as fog lights they must remain as fog lights.

Sorry.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression these have LED DRL's around the edge of the lamp, but remain as a standard fog lamp in the centre so you're not converting the fogs to DRLs... would that still be against the law?

• Like 1

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special%20notices/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

Go to 1.3 page 1 - also read the whole lot, according to VOSA they do not check for front fog lamps as these are not required under EU rules. So you should be fine however there may be some issues with police, but I cannot find anything that specifically says you can't. However to air on the side of caution I would ask VOSA themselves (Email or phone)

Not always guaranteed that Wikipedia will be the gods honest truth but as I know this is accurate and as it's the only reference I can find to back up my statement concerning DRL legalities I'll post this info from their site-

From- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights.[12][13][14] The mandate will extend to trucks and buses in August 2012.[15] Functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted;[16] the EU Directive requires functionally specific daytime running lamps compliant with ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48.[17] DRLs compliant with R87 emit white light of between 400 and 1200 candela.[18]

Not always guaranteed that Wikipedia will be the gods honest truth but as I know this is accurate and as it's the only reference I can find to back up my statement concerning DRL legalities I'll post this info from their site-

From- http://en.wikipedia....me_running_lamp

European Union Directive 2008/89/EC requires all passenger cars and small delivery vans first type approved on or after 7 February 2011 in the EU to come equipped with daytime running lights.[12][13][14] The mandate will extend to trucks and buses in August 2012.[15] Functional piggybacking, such as operating the headlamps or front turn signals or fog lamps as DRLs, is not permitted;[16] the EU Directive requires functionally specific daytime running lamps compliant with ECE Regulation 87 and mounted to the vehicle in accord with ECE Regulation 48.[17] DRLs compliant with R87 emit white light of between 400 and 1200 candela.[18]

Yes, but the 2012 Ford Focus was EC approved before 7th February 2011 - that's why most new Foci don't have DRLs as standard - they don't need them because the car design was approved and launched before these laws came into force.

Even though OP's car was clearly constructed and registered after this law came into force, the original design pre-empts that directive. Which is why his car doesn't have DRLs in the first place.

So OP can really do what he likes with regards to DRLs as long as his new DRLs don't affect the operation of any legally required lamps - front fog lights aren't a legal requirement anyway, so he's good to go. Plus he's not even replacing the fog lights, just augmenting.

• Like 1

http://mottesters.co...tion Manual.pdf

Go to 1.3 page 1 - also read the whole lot, according to VOSA they do not check for front fog lamps as these are not required under EU rules. So you should be fine however there may be some issues with police, but I cannot find anything that specifically says you can't. However to air on the side of caution I would ask VOSA themselves (Email or phone)

I've contacted VOSA and DfT already regarding DRL retro-fit, and they say it isn't illegal and won't pose any MOT issues. The only issue would be if your new DRLs affected the operation of any other required lamps - or if they dazzled other drivers, which is illegal with any kind of light.

The police MIGHT pull you because they'll assume that if you have a light on in the fog housing that it IS the fog - and obvs it's illegal to have fogs above a certain visibility level. But they won't be able to do you/ticket you for it once you've explained and/or they have tested.

The technicality is that if you get pulled for an apparent fog light infringement the fact that the fog light indicator is showing on the dash will go a technicality mean that even if its led lights showing a traffic officer will not accept any excuse.

Only way around this will be to bypass the fog circuit totally and wire the lights in another circuit.

Basically, reuse the fog light housings but do not use the fog light loom.

The technicality is that if you get pulled for an apparent fog light infringement the fact that the fog light indicator is showing on the dash will go a technicality mean that even if its led lights showing a traffic officer will not accept any excuse.

Only way around this will be to bypass the fog circuit totally and wire the lights in another circuit.

Basically, reuse the fog light housings but do not use the fog light loom.

That's what I would have thought the lights would have been wired like anyway - i.e. the DRL section would be wired the same way mines are, and the fog light section would be wired as the original foglights were. That way they could be operated no differently from my DRLs.

Looking at these lights i think they are different circuits , standard fog light in the middle and Angel eye Drl around the outside with its own wiring , so as long as they were not spliced together it would not show up as the fog light.

But yes i can see what you mean if the Fog light was on , on the dash then they could give a ticket.

You have to remember that traffic officers don't tend to have an imagination.

They have their traffic regulations handbook and that is their bible.

They're not called snakes or black rats for nothing.

If I was to pull someone with what appeared to be fogs on I would obviously as a keen modder be able to make a reasonably informed decision, whereas the rats would see black and white- no grey area.

• Like 1

You have to remember that traffic officers don't tend to have an imagination.

They have their traffic regulations handbook and that is their bible.

They're not called snakes or black rats for nothing.

If I was to pull someone with what appeared to be fogs on I would obviously as a keen modder be able to make a reasonably informed decision, whereas the rats would see black and white- no grey area.

Well yeah ... but misinformed coppers are no reason to avoid making a modification. At the end of the day, if they wrongfully issue tickets or order for something to be removed, there is surely an appeals process that will fall down on the side of the person who has their facts and figures right, rather than the person with white hat?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

has anyone do this yet? i cant see there being a issue with the police. or has anyone else put drls on retro fit if so how easy is it to do?

Modifying fog lights to DRL is illegal unless the switch mechanism is seperated from the fog light loom.

I dislike misused fogs and do pull for them.

• Like 1

no i mean using the angel eye part of it for drls that would be ok wouldnt it?

• Like 1

Don't angel eye lights work as a replacement for side lights anyway?

• Like 1

They do on entire headlamp unit that are designed as such otherwise no, the original sidelights would have to remain on the car alongside the angel eyes.

It actually says on eBay that the DRL angel eyes are separate and you can clearly see it has it's own wiring that is completely separate from the fog light. 2 positive for powering each live and 1 negative for ground.

The positive feed can then be connected to the vehicles original sidelight and piggyback off that circuit where it would come on once side lights are switched on. And since the new regulation does not apply to the MK3 focus it would be a legal piggyback.

If you did not want to piggyback off the sidelight loom you can, run a 5A fuse from the ACC circuit in the fusebox then to the angel eye positive, the angel eyes in this case will turn on automatically every time the ignition is switched on with or without sidelights or any other lights they will also turn off automatically once the ignition is turned off.

That means no need for the provided switch and no need to be concerned about it being apart of any other circuit, infact you could even connect it directly to the ACC circuit without a 5A fuse but i would not recommend that.

To make the job simple you can buy a piggyback fuse kit to literally make it a plug and play job, unplug the ACC fuse, plug in the piggyback fuse kit then plug in the ACC fuse and the 5A fuse for the angel eyes, connect the angel eye live feed to the end of the piggy back loom job done 100% separate circuit with it's own fuse that will auto turn on and off all functions of the foglight will remain untouched and functional as intended

piggyback wiring kit looks like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blade-Fuse-Piggy-Back-By-Pass-Connector-Brand-New-/221218131839?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3381a0cf7f

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club