k13r4n

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts
  • Name: kieran
  • Ford Model: MK7 Fiesta Metal
  • Year: 2011

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

As I have previously shown interested in getting xenon lights fitted in my car. Just a question of what I actually need as I am under the impression I need

1. Oem/facelift focus st headlamps (projector xenon compatible)
2. Xenon bulbs
3. Ballast to power bulbs
4. Leveling module
5. Leveling sensors
6. Headlamp washers
7. Control module for washers

Would I be correct in saying I need all the above items to convert from halogen bulbs to proper road legal xenon headlights ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
  • Name: Charlie
  • Ford Model: Focus Ghia 1.6 115BHP
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Yes I believe that's correct mate.

You may have trouble getting all the parts together though and it will be pricey.

#3 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yeah I thought it would be hard and yeah cost is the only thing stopping Me

#4 Dave the Dude

Dave the Dude

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Ford Model: Thai Focus Sport+ 2 Litre
  • Year: 2013

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

I see there are a number of different OEM Xenon/Bi Zenon and 'Angel eyes' styled units available from all sorts of countries but I wonder if anyone has fitted these and are happy with the results???

The legalities of washers and levelers do not apply in this country (Thailand) as there is no such thing as an MOT. A car with working lights is a rarety !!! LOL!

I would hate to pay out hard earned cash on some fancy looking peice of kit thats going to fall apart or fail so Recomendations will be appreciated.

#5 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Wouldn't go near angel eyes. Heard nothing but bad things n how dull they are and how they barely even light up the road. And that in winter you will even want to remove them n refit your factory headlight units as that's how bad the angel eyes are.

#6 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Ok I shall note that AVOID angel eyes

#7 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

There was a bit of a discussion on angel eyes here mate:

http://www.fordowner...l__ angel eyes

If you read through the comments, fellow members who have fitted them in the past say how in winter they had to refit their factory lights.

This comment says it all really:

'And to be fair i thought they looked great, but didn't perform as well as the standard halogen headlights... I ended up re-fitting the standard headlights for winter use (the angel eyes headlights were useless in wet weather) and re-fitted the angel eye versions for spring/summer use. The fella that bought my car got the standard headlights in the boot as i warned him the "fancy" lights looked good, but didn't chuck out much light!

If you DO decide to buy the angel eye versions, i'd hold on to your originals for a while just in case....'

Other members compare the angel eyes to a candle in a jar.

Have a read if you got time.

#8 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yeah Charlie see what you were saying and at the end of the day before I got my car all I wanted was xenon lights and heated seats my focus has a tonne of tech fitted inc the seats the only thing I don't have is the lights but I'm just debating if it's going to be worth the money and hassle to get them

#9 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

i wouldn't mind some nice seats n at some point plan to fit recaro's

i ended up trumping for the ghia over the titanium as i liked the idea of having cruise control as standard n not having to retro fit. the deciding factor was the Missus putting her foot down saying i wasn't allowed leather seats as she didn't want 3rd degree burns off them in summer. so ghia it was. the sacrifice i made for having cruise control though, was being lumbered with the ugliest alloys of the range. i plan to upgrade em to the ST's n lower on eibachs when funds allow.

anyway sorry for going off topic, back to the xenons

i also wanted to fit the st lights as soon as i bought the car, but looking into it its silly money so i'm not sure if all the expense and hassle of sourcing the parts will be worth it in the end. also, my old girls closing in on 100k mileage. so i dunno how long i'll wanna hold onto it, if permanent work comes along i'll be saving up for a new car. so i dunno if it'll be worth going to the expense of fitting xenons, only to sell it on not long after.

so what i'm thinking at the moment, is my osram cool blue intense's are satisfactory enough for me at the moment n produce a nice clean white, n light up the unlit country roads far better than standard bulbs so they good enough for me.

so what i may do is just stick with these, n to improve the appearance of the front of my car almost as nice as st headlights, is to fit black headlight units instead to give a meaner sexier look over the stock chrome units.

#10 RB2004

RB2004

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Name: Ronald J
  • Ford Model: Ford Focus 2008 Titanium with Sport Pack
  • Year: 2008

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have access to eCAT and your list is not complete.

you have,

1. Oem/facelift focus st headlamps (projector xenon compatible)
2. Xenon bulbs
3. Ballast to power bulbs
4. Leveling module
5. Leveling sensors - front and rear
6. Headlamp washers

There is no control module for the washers.

Washer bottle is different on versions with headlamp washers, if i can remember there is also a 2nd washer pump motor for them.,, then you have the piping from the bottle to the headlamp washers on the front bumper.

there is also a different "jumper loom" which goes from the bottle to the top of the wing roughly... 3 versions available.

has washers, has low fluid sensor
no washers, has low fluid sensor
no washers, no low fluid sensor.. would need the first one, so you then need low fluid warning sensor.

also, if engine bay wiring loom is not the top level loom with all the wires for xenon/adaptive headlamps you need that loom.

on pre-facelift if i can remember titaniums and ghias usually (but possibly not all) had the top loom from factory..

facelift, they fitted the top loom to begin with for the first 3 months of production or so (usually), then cheapened up and started fitting cheaper looms which didnt have the xenon / adaptive headlamps wiring (unless required)... so if you dont have correct engine bay loom need to add that to the list, incorrect one doesnt have the all the wiring for jumper loom above.. it has wiring for the jumper loom with no headlamp washers and no low fluid sensor.. but no wiring for the jumper loom to connect into for low fluid sensor and headlamp washers.

then behind the dash, the loom there.. if car doesnt presently have adaptive headlamps, or xenon you will have a halogen headlamp loom which is different and separate to looms for xenon/adaptive headlamps... ford made 2 versions of each loom 1 for halogen and 1 for xenon / adaptive headlamps.

lol so when you look through the parts catalogue you see it listed like this,

With Climate Control - Halogen
With Climate Control - Xenon / Adaptive headlamps

Adaptive headlamps and xenon used same looms.

Difference is mainly xenon / adaptive loom has the wiring for the sensors and module which is located behind the drivers side door pillar kick panel.. whereas halogen wiring loom doesnt have any sensor wiring from the GEM module onwards or connector for module... so you need that wiring loom.

Xenons will work with a xenon wiring loom in engine bay, and halogen dash loom but I strongly recommend doing this as its kind of irresponsible, it self levels for a reason, it has headlamp washers for a reason.. and it is highly inconsiderate to oncoming drivers if you fit Xenons without a functioning levelling system or washers, because it can blind oncoming drivers due to it being brighter hence why it self levels so when you go over bumps the headlamps continue to point downwards and not upwards at oncoming drivers with the potential to cause an accident.

Then you need module and sensors as you already listed ... adaptive headlamp module and xenon modules are different despite using same wiring loom.. also the levelling sensor, 1 of them is different for adaptive and xenon.

Adaptive headlamp system was the one which turned the headlamps to follow the steering wheel so when you turn left the headlamps move left etc.

then you need the xenon / adaptive headlamps switch panel.

After it can pretty much all be configured and enabled using ElmConfig

http://www.fordowner...nd-ff2-program/

need to enable a few options on the Hybrid instrument cluster, setup the module.. mostly calibrate it on a level surface,,, then setup a few options on the GEM module if I can remember correctly.. basically just to tell the system that it is running xenon and enable it all.

#11 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Ok so in English I shall understand is basically I don't have the compatible wiring in my car for the xenon lights I have a 10 plate titanium registered on 30 march so would there be a chance it had the wiring or not

#12 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

i believe on the titanium the wiring is the same

#13 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

So I have the cheap wiring which would need changing if I wanted the xenons installed properly ie working leveling lights and washers

#14 k13r4n

k13r4n

• FOC Supporters
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

btw Charlie the car is looking good had a wee look at your photos and defo looks the part

#15 Brigante

Brigante

Resident Ranter

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,405 posts
Contributor

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

sorry mate i meant i believe the titanium wiring is the same as the ST, so you shouldn't need to need to change the wiring.

i'm sure other members with titaniums have started doing this mod n said the wiring was the same as it's a top spec. should also be the same case with my ghia if i remember correctly.

and cheers mate, my poor old girls slowly getting there

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: what do i need, haz, xenon, parts, bits and bobs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users