Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Dust Covers

MikeLondon

Hey everyone,

I'm still madly in love with my Mk3 Zetec-S. About 1000 miles on the clock, and she's been cleaned both weekends so far... (we'll see whether that lasts!)

One thing I've noticed when cleaning is the amount of Brake Dust that get all overs the alloys... LIterally COVERED in the stuff with a week/350 miles driving!

Apparently (I'm no expert... clearly) it's the dust from the Disc Brakes? Does that make sense?

Also, I've heard you can get 'Brake Dust Covers', does anyone have any opinions on these or recommendations?

Seem like they could be a great little idea (if they work), but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience of them in the past.

Cheers in advance,

Michael

For a minute I thought someone had been pulling your leg, did a google and was surprised to see such a thing exists, more popular outside the UK by the look of it.

Looking at some pics online, they seem to make alloys look like plastic wheel trims with a steel wheel behind! See the little flash movie of a merc wheel here:-

http://www.kleenwheels.co.uk/

An alternative is to apply a protection wax or sealant, eg:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60553/wheel-sealants-mini-test

So glad I've got steels on my car these days, its nice not to give a sh*t about the precious alloys!

get loads on mine i just wash it away every week

i use pro shine on mine its a spray on wax cleaner that leaves a film preventing the dust and crud from sticking and makes it really easy to just wipe the dust off

Mine clog up with brake dust even after only a short drive after cleaning - I have the 17 inch ZS wheels and they are an absolute mare to keep clean. Usually use lots of Autoglym wheel cleaner and a rag on the end of my finger! Not sure I like the brake dust covers but will definitely look into the proshine wax cleaner stuff ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club