Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal Engine Run In Tips

Toppy

Hello everybody

I am new to the forum and am soon to be a new owner of a Metal & can't wait.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips / information on what I should do to run the engine in. Should I change the oil & filter after a short while or just wait until the normal service period?

Cheers

The engine is run in at the factory but I suppose sticking below a reasonable RPM such as 3500 wouldn't do any harm. Personally, I've drove my car like I've stole it from day one. I know that I won't be keeping the car past 2 years.

In terms of oil changes isn't there a optional 1 month, 1000 miles inspection? If your really worried take it to ford and they'll do anything necessary.

Just drive it normally but don't rev the balls off of it for 1000 miles. The odd blast of speed or higher revs won't hurt it though. You'll just get a burning smell, just the parts bedding in

If there is nothing recommended or in the book to service/check the car in the first year, I personally would change the oil after 6 months.

Otherwise, as has been said just don't push it too hard right from the get go.

Just drive it normally but don't rev the balls off of it for 1000 miles. The odd blast of speed or higher revs won't hurt it though. You'll just get a burning smell, just the parts bedding in

I can't remember any burning smell lol. I don't know if this is just luck but put the car on a friends dyno yesterday and its producing 64bhp, 4-5 more than standard. Only done 2k and its completely standard apart from a k&n air filter. Maybe this theory about the ecu learning your driving style is correct.

Thanks for the comments I will do what you all suggest about the rev's etc.

My car will be ready at the start of November but I am away working on Monday for 4 1/2 weeks. I have arranged to pick it up on the day after I get home on Thursday 22, I can't wait I am driving a X reg Peugeot 206 1.1 at the moment so I know I am going to notice a massive difference in power!!

I will post pictures when I get it.

I gave my TDCi a good blasting, 53 miles in and I had the thing revving as high as possible, had the thing maxed out about a week later lol.

The Fiesta in any guise is not a highly-strung, state-of-the-art engineering type of car, so you really dont have to worry about running-in the engine. Improved manufacturing tollerances and modern engine oils mean you can drive it however you like from the get go.

Running in periods are still relevant for other components however. New brakes and tyres for example take a good few miles to reach their best performance so dont drive like a maniac and you'll be fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club